Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Converted a non-believer into a Disneyland fan.

This is my story.

My boyfriend and I had been dating for just about a year. He always knew my passion for Disneyland, but never showed any interest in it himself. In fact, he would make fun of me for spending so much money to go there when he saw it as simply an
    AMUSEMENT PARK. In his mind, Disneyland was like your generic, run of the mill carnival style park with *ahem* ferris wheels, midway games, and all that...sorry DCA I still love you.

I tried so hard to convince him that it was anything but. He didn't believe me. He agreed to go with me on our first trip, because he likes seeing me happy and I promised him he'd like it. He was such a downer on the way there, wasn't even excited at all. He acted like it was a trip to Marine World -_-

Having gone to Disneyland since before I could walk or talk, I couldn't fathom someone not understanding the magic they were about to experience. But he would just have to wait until he got there, I figured.

At 7 am we headed down I-5 to the Disneyland Resort. He was still pretty sleepy. Pretty soon, we approached the part of the freeway where it suddenly becomes wider, cleaner, and all around awesome. His face looked confused.
    "There's a whole exit just for Disneyland?" I could see he was in for a surprise, if he was impressed by the freeway alone.

We pull into the parking lot. He beams the entire time about how organized the parking structure was, as we were led directly into our parking spot by smiling cast members. I laughed at this, because I had never really taken the time to notice.

We board the tram, he still looks skeptical.

As we get dropped off, I can see him quietly observing how big the park is. There's a smile there.

We walk through the gates! Still nothing, really, just taking everything in. I'm of course being a dork and running around main street, giddy to even be there. Pointing out everything to him and giving him a history lesson he didn't care about.

I put the map in his face and ask what he wants to ride first. He enjoys the Indiana Jones movie, so he lights up when he sees that listed and points to that. We head over to Adventureland.

Once there, there is no line as it's off season and early in the morning. We skip through the beautiful queue line but he is already amazed at the detail. No other park besides Disney ones put much of any thought into their queues.
    "This is pretty cool"

On the ride? Well, he screamed, he laughed, he cried (no he didn't cry), he smiled a whole lot.

When we got off, not a word until we were out of the exit. He looked back at the ride, as if to say "did I really just experience that? Was that real?"
    He grinned the biggest grin and said to me
    "Now I get it."
    "What?"
    "I get how this is different from Marine World. From a carnival. From anything else. Each ride is a story."

And that's how he was converted. He now knows the magic, and loves to experience it every time we have the pleasure of visiting. We will get to go again on June 14th

and naturally, our first ride is always Indiana Jones.

• Minion

Re: I Converted a non-believer into a Disneyland fan.

Great story!!! So happy to have another convert!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Yay!! Now just get him on Micechat Baby steps.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Aahhh!!! That story was the best!! It put a huge smile on my face!! My boyfriend is a definite skeptic too, and although there is some excitement in him now due to my obsessive and relentless talking about this trip for close to a year now, he still just doesn't really "get it". I can't wait for him to have an Indy moment like your BF did!! Thanks for sharing!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

I love your story! Thank you for sharing.

Did he see Fantasmic! Ooh I hope he's hasn't yet. Ooooh that makes me excited!
    FAT KIDS UNITE!
    (Anyone can be a Fat Kid! You love food?, you're in!)

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know.." "I know!"

Quote Originally Posted by D23Divinity View Post
    Did he see Fantasmic! Ooh I hope he's hasn't yet. Ooooh that makes me excited!
    yes, luckily I had to wait till our second trip to see it though because they weren't showing it in January when we went
    That's a whole other story, he was AMAZED at the whole show, his jaw dropped literally when the dragon appeared.
    I think he wanted to ride home on it haha.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    yes, luckily I had to wait till our second trip to see it though because they weren't showing it in January when we went
    That's a whole other story, he was AMAZED at the whole show, his jaw dropped literally when the dragon appeared.
    I think he wanted to ride home on it haha.
    Now take him to see World of Color in the very front.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

ok this made ME smile!!!!!

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Thank you for sharing such a sweet story! Hope you two have an awesome time (again)!

Great story! How can someone NOT love Disney? (yeah I know there are some....

My husband was the same way. Could not understand the magic of the parks. I chalked it up to there not being anything else like it in the world. How can you "get it" until you experience it?

After making several trips over the years with other family members, he finally said he wanted to come with on my birthday trip a few years ago. Now he's hooked and just as into it as I am.

We now go twice a year for AT LEAST two weeks. We live near Seattle so want to get a good dose of magic when we are able to make the trip. Last fall we were in Anaheim 5 weeks, with a break in between driving over to Vegas.

Guess what. When we were in Vegas we couldn't wait to get back to the parks!
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLovesGoofy View Post
    Great story! How can someone NOT love Disney? (yeah I know there are some....

My husband was the same way. Could not understand the magic of the parks. I chalked it up to there not being anything else like it in the world. How can you "get it" until you experience it?

After making several trips over the years with other family members, he finally said he wanted to come with on my birthday trip a few years ago. Now he's hooked and just as into it as I am.

We now go twice a year for AT LEAST two weeks. We live near Seattle so want to get a good dose of magic when we are able to make the trip. Last fall we were in Anaheim 5 weeks, with a break in between driving over to Vegas.

Guess what. When we were in Vegas we couldn't wait to get back to the parks!

great story I hope you guys get to go again soon!

• I'm a Lutheran

My girlfriend likes Disneyland but she's not as into it as I am...sometimes she'll crack an occasional joke about how much I'm obsessed with it an how much I am involved in with armchair Imagineering. I definitely would like to give her a little history lesson and be able to show her how magical the park truly is and how different it is from the average everyday amusement park.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Curiouser

What a cute story!!! Although, I am not surprised you managed to convert him- to me, it's only a matter of time before ANYONE can't help but love Disney I converted my now husband when he went for his first time on our honeymoon, and now he loves it just as much as I do!

Thanks for sharing, I love hearing these kinds of stories.

• Musical Fireman

That story sounds like a miracle to me, TERRIFIC EVEN. I just don't understand that people think Disneyland is like Six Flags, its not a mish mash of rides its well themed areas with attractions that put guests into a immersive story.

Congrats greeneyes 17 now like the others say try to convince your boyfriend to get a micechat account.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast