Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• The Happiest Cynic

Man it is hot in Cars Land

So I went to the AP preview of Cars Land today and was very impressed by the scale of it all and how impressive those desert mountains were. Radiator Springs Racers is a true E-Ticket, and I think the theming here is second to none.

There's one other thing I noticed, as an Arizona native who grew up in a crappy little town just like Radiator Springs: it's really, really hot, and there isn't much shade. Most of the stores won't have anything in front that will shade you from the punishing sun.

This seems to be the guiding design principle for much of Cars Land: not a lot of shade, not a lot of shelter. It's a big slab of steaming concrete and you're on your own if you need even a moment's relief. It's early June - not the hottest part of the summer - and I found myself wondering why, in this billion-dollar plan, they didn't bring in some fully-grown trees. Something to block out the sun a little bit. I waited around for something to open up in the shaded tables under Flo's V8 Cafe, and there are a few indoor dining options, but even the carnival rides - Mater and Luigi - are outside, on - as I said - a big slab of steaming concrete with no shade that's been painted black.

I wasn't hit too hard today, but I really pity the people who will be waiting on the concrete in 3-hour lines for RSR this summer, standing next to a sun-bleached desert where the concrete you're standing on is soaking up the heat faster than you are.

Re: Man it is hot in Cars Land

So basically what you're saying is, they did a great job recreating the desert southwest.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    So basically what you're saying is, they did a great job recreating the desert southwest.
    hahahahahahaha so true!

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Universal Hollywood does a great job at re-creating the heat minus the desert theming. The place has no shade at all.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Sock Puppet

It's LA. It's rarely above 80 degrees and even in the summer temps in the 60s are normal. I don't think shade is such a need down here that it need interrupt with the design.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

in the summer rarely above 80????? i beg to differ lol

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• The Happiest Cynic

Quote Originally Posted by m4444m44 View Post
    It's LA. It's rarely above 80 degrees and even in the summer temps in the 60s are normal. I don't think shade is such a need down here that it need interrupt with the design.
    I don't think you live here - it is not "rarely above 80" in the summer. There's no shade and this are is all hot concrete and reflective white. It's a problem.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

exactly. its always in the 80s in California

---------- Post added 06-09-2012 at 08:55 PM ----------

if you want no shade and reflective white try waiting for space mountain when the line is longer than 50 minutes on the part before there's shade. hell on earth and super bright lol

Let's see. A bit of heat, very little shade, and 3 "Cones" selling salty popcorn, pretzels, and chili. Sounds like the perfect breeding ground for selling high priced "specialty" beverages and a whole lot of beer sales over at Flo's.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandTraveler View Post
    Let's see. A bit of heat, very little shade, and 3 "Cones" selling salty popcorn, pretzels, and chili. Sounds like the perfect breeding ground for selling high priced "specialty" beverages and a whole lot of beer sales over at Flo's.
    sounds like something i would do

• I'm a Lutheran

I've been at DL and DCA in killer heat, near 110 degrees with humidity...it'll be interesting to see a very crowded Cars Land in such a summer environment.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by maneatingwreath View Post
    i've been at dl and dca in killer heat, near 110 degrees with humidity...it'll be interesting to see a very crowded cars land in such a summer environment.
    wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can barely work in costume in that heat! Lol

• Minion

At the 45 min. mark, the RSR queue was mostly in the shade. It started at the bridges, went through the old buildings, and then into the caverns, with just a few sunny gaps. If the line is over 1 hr. I would suggest a wide brimmed hat, a cold drink, and maybe one of those misters because the rest of the queue will be pretty much in the hot sun.

---------- Post added 06-09-2012 at 09:05 PM ----------

They also had CMs working the queue selling drinks and popcorn.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

thanks for the info

• Lion

The obvious solution for hot days is to grab an RSR fastpass, check out the land in the morning hours, and don't go back until sunset.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast