Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• U. B. Bold

Re: Luigi's Flying Tires - What Would Have Been Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    This ride can not last forever in its current state. I'm almost sure that the lawyers will force operational and safety changes (or OSHA will).
    And that will give WDI and Lasseter their out. I predict that "guest safety" will be the reason used to shutter the attraction and it may happen faster than you can say "Rocket Rods."
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

I think a low-tech ride that would have done really well would have been a steeple chase ride much like the old Wacky Soap Box Racers at Knotts. Here's a video:

You can obviously tell another racing story, possibly set one up in the 50's when sarge was racing or create new characters. The best part of about this is that you can actually move your vehicles faster my lunging forward, adding a whole level of interactivity RSR does not have.

I think it would have been really cool, inexpensive compared to other alternatives, and a blast with the locals old enough to remember this long-gone Knotts favorite. In my heart of hearts I was hoping they would do something like this (even though the chances were next to nothing). Oh well.

Edit - not sarge, I meant the sheriff.
    Last edited by DJM; 06-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

The tires are sort of fun, but totally lacking in imagination. Just about any ride with real Imagineering behind it would have been better. Heck, a plain old simple Fantasyland style dark ride that told one of Mater's Tall Tales would have been VERY well received and would have been so much better than an outdoor flat ride. AND it would have helped tell a story rather than just letting people float slowly on an air hockey table.
    I know we're getting way ahead of ourselves here (and I haven't ridden LFT yet, so I can only go by others views), but they already have a nice big pit dug for LFT. Putting a two level dark ride in that spot would be pretty nice, maintaining a low profile and using minimum space.

They should just upgrade the engines an add steering wheels!

• Pilot EdForceOne

This ride can not last forever in its current state. I'm almost sure that the lawyers will force operational and safety changes (or OSHA will).
    What specifically concerns you?

CalOSHA must have already signed off on the attraction if they are letting the public ride it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

If the ride truly is slow and boring, that's not to say it's going to end in a few years. Submarine Voyage is a painfully slow ride with inflated wait times and it appears to be going strong.

But if I were to put something in Luigi's Flying Tires place, it would be...perhaps nothing? I'm hoping that, as time passes, Cars Land becomes less about the movie and instead opens itself up to a few other franchises and the idea of Route 66 in general. And then we can put a non-Cars-themed ride in place of LFT.

Of course, the likelihood of that happening is slim. More franchises: maybe. More about the history of Route 66...

Let's hope the Curio Shop at least gets updated.

I think the ride is a good idea and could have been really fun, but obviously it wasn't as easy to make the vehicles move as they would have hoped.

Other than the original hovercraft ride at Disneyland, this is the only hovercraft I've heard of that uses leaning as its method of movement. Maybe this works because the air is coming from the floor and not from the vehicle, I have no idea.

Does anyone know how the thing that was supposed to make them turn worked? Are the vehicles completely mechanical? Meaning no power or on board computer or anything like that?

One thing that we all seem to have figured out is that weight plays a huge part. If the vehicles are too heavy I don't see why they can't just increase the airflow. From videos it doesn't look like wind created is so strong that turning it up would create hurricane winds in the area. I think its to help with the balance of rider weight. Just picture a kid on a little raft in a pool, now throw an adult on the same thing and there will be a huge difference in buoyancy. I thought of one way that would add extra weight but adjust buoyancy, is that each vehicle would rest on a scale and weight the vehicle right be for the ride starts up, and then there would be vents that would adjust and either trap more air or let air out depending on the weight.

I've also noticed fairly large holes on the rear of the seat, anyone know what those are for?

While the ride is no RSR, I think the ride is fun and people are giving it a bad rap. I found the tires to be pretty easy to control, just don't lean too far. You can feel when your tire hits the ground and correct.

Everybody seemed to be having fun on the ride, save one guy I saw who was complete frustrated he wasn't moving (over leaner). I agree that a little more speed wouldn't hurt... maybe they can crank up the wind a bit.

Overall I don't think it's the horrible ride people make it out to be. Could it be better? Yes... but it is fun!

Sychros

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12