Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Luigi's Flying Tires - What Would Have Been Better?

The consensus (and expert opinion of Al Lutz) is that Luigi's Flying Tires' is a bust. What would have been a better attraction using the available space that the Imagineers could have built?

Re: Luigi's Flying Tires - What Would Have Been Better?

Heres the main drawbacks for Luigis Flying Tires
    1) Luigi isn't a memorable character in comparison to the Pixar world of amazing characters so there's o "It's Buzz!" appeal.
    2) Riding on an air hockey puck was amazing and futuristic 40 years ago. But in 2012 then it's slow and boring.
    3) It seems to only exist because Cars is such a shallow franchise that they couldn't think of anything else in radiator springs that could be a ride. (Which only points out how silly it is to build an entire land off a single location of a single movie)

This isn't a good idea, but You know those segway type machines you see the Incredibles riding around? id rather ride those in an Incredibles themed ride than Luigis tires. But to be honest I think anything would be better than what they put.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

The ride is fun. Went last night. The crowd was excited by the ride. Some older couples clapped after it, and I don't think a single person didn't enjoy it. It is easy to get it moving fast if you think about what you are doing with your leaning. The problem is you can over lean and you bottom out. You just need to reduce your leaning just a bit.

The real problem with the ride is loading and unloading. People go and grab beach balls to hold. The loading and unloading for disabled, injured, anyone that can't step up takes forever. Not enough ride vehicles. All this means loading time if very slow.

So waiting two hours and then not figuring out how to move your tire equals unhappy person. 30 mnutes and knowing what you are doing equals more fun then mater.
    Last edited by socalkdg; 06-10-2012 at 11:11 AM.

The floor should have tilted back and forth throughout the ride. So if you're having trouble making the tires move, you still get to go flying back and forth slamming into other tires or the walls.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

I don't want to say ANYTHING could be better than this ride, but....anything could be better than this ride. You stretch and lean and it barely goes anywhere. Thumbs down.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    I don't want to say ANYTHING could be better than this ride, but....anything could be better than this ride. You stretch and lean and it barely goes anywhere. Thumbs down.
    Feel bad for people that couldn't get them moving. We were moving around like a pinball. You lean start to move a direction. Lean to far, you feel yourself bottom out, so pull back just a bit on your lean. Wife and other daughter had no problems either. Both daughters liked the tires better than Mater.

• U. B. Bold

A dark ride using the Pooh's Hunny Hunt trackless tech from Tokyo DL. You could even make the ride vehicles look like tires and use the existing queue.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

They shouldn't have made it a Cars specific land. They should have named it "Radiator Springs" and just kept the desert/canyon theme. With the amount of land luigi's flying tires uses the replacement ride should be around a C-ticket. I think a spinner type ride would be a good addition to the park since it doesn't have any yet. This could even be car or airplane themed. They could have also made the land into a water play area if it would have been "springs" themed. My favorite idea however, would have been a train ride into the mountain, similar to Nature's Wonderland.

• Minion

They could have just put a big pile of huge rubber tires, and kids would have a ball climbing all over it.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    A dark ride using the Pooh's Hunny Hunt trackless tech from Tokyo DL. You could even make the ride vehicles look like tires and use the existing queue.
    That's a great idea! Which leads me to ask -- why is there no body of water in Radiator Springs? If a small lake had been created then the Imagineers could have transplanted the Aquatopia attraction technology from Tokyo DisneySea.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    The consensus (and expert opinion of Al Lutz) is that Luigi's Flying Tires' is a bust. What would have been a better attraction using the available space that the Imagineers could have built?
    Bumper cars with interactive elements to run into... AAs that comment on the actions of users.. (or lack of action)... rich surroundings, etc.

Imagine if they had a race track setup.. they could even simulate pitstops with your car being shaken up as they work on it, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

I told them... I stood there and told them, "Move Autopia to Carsland!... Autopia... Cars... Autopia... Cars... get it?! Autopia... Cars... do I have to bang your heads together?? Move the Autopia there and make the cars electric and styled as characters in the film, and have cars talk to the guest, saying funny things at random. And a junior version for the toddlers. Come on, let's do this!" But did they listen to me? Ha! They just sat there sipping their Frappucinos and playing with their iPads. I walked out.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Bumper cars with interactive elements to run into... AAs that comment on the actions of users.. (or lack of action)... rich surroundings, etc.

Imagine if they had a race track setup.. they could even simulate pitstops with your car being shaken up as they work on it, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I told them... I stood there and told them, "Move Autopia to Carsland!... Autopia... Cars... Autopia... Cars... get it?! Autopia... Cars... do I have to bang your heads together?? Move the Autopia there and make the cars electric and styled as characters in the film, and have cars talk to the guest, saying funny things at random. And a junior version for the toddlers. Come on, let's do this!" But did they listen to me? Ha! They just sat there sipping their Frappucinos and playing with their iPads. I walked out.
    You'd both really want to have a race car driving ride right next to a race car ride? WDI would have been ridiculed for lack of imagination.

Right now, I like what socalkdg has to say: it's a learning experience but it's fun once you get it. Maybe more guests need to figure it out first.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The tires are sort of fun, but totally lacking in imagination. Just about any ride with real Imagineering behind it would have been better. Heck, a plain old simple Fantasyland style dark ride that told one of Mater's Tall Tales would have been VERY well received and would have been so much better than an outdoor flat ride. AND it would have helped tell a story rather than just letting people float slowly on an air hockey table.

2 out of the 3 rides in Cars Land are outdoor flat rides. While Mater's is fun, I don't see the need for two such attractions in this land. Especially with a whole land of these minimally themed flat rides (Bugs Land) just next door. Had they built Mater's indoors with special effects and built a simple dark ride in place of Luigi's, that would have been spectacular!

This ride can not last forever in its current state. I'm almost sure that the lawyers will force operational and safety changes (or OSHA will).
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    You'd both really want to have a race car driving ride right next to a race car ride? WDI would have been ridiculed for lack of imagination.
    The bumper car concept is independent of a race theme.. the pitstop was just an idea to show how you can add new concepts and interactions beyond the classic 'everyone go in a circle' or melee.

I wouldn't recommend doing just bumper cars.. but if you were to take it to a whole new level where it's basically people being cars themselves in the car universe... you can go all kinds of directions. Bumper cars is just the core concept for fun Everyone loves running into things
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast