Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

Under the hood secret to Cars Land connection

These days few people *work* on their own cars like they did yesteryear. Few children understand "Saturday in the garage with dad". Hot rods are not as common today.

This is a HUGE aspect of Americana and "the rights of passage" from father to son.

The idea of motors construction, the pistons, the crankshaft, the lifters and carburetor. The spark to fuel and air to create energy, power to transfer to the wheels. Then the beauty of chrome, and metal-flake cherry red paint.

Fewer people take a Sunday drive in the country to see and smell the trees, the panoramic views. Rivers, lakes and waterfalls.

Long road-trips have given away to time-saving flights.

To know the real life pleasures associated with the freedom and functionality of the automobile, is to better appreciate a dedicated park land area with rides and structures dedicated to them, and their ability to provide us with unparalleled pleasures.

Cars Land will be much better appreciated and visitors more enthusiastic with a better understanding of the secrets under the hood of our cars. And the connection it has between men and women, drive-in movies, kids toys and imagination, freedom of travel, and knowing how a motor splashing with oil converts gasoline, air and electricity into raw horsepower!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

Re: Under the hood secret to Cars Land connection

Well put. It's too bad TPTB didn't really sell this aspect of Americana of Car's Land, instead of focussing so heavily on that one cartoon property.

Great post! My Sunday road trips are from Palm Springs to Disneyland in Big Blue, my 1968 Lincoln Continental. It takes me back in time to my first trip to Disney around '68.
    I can't wait to get into Cars Land and check it out.
    Name:  big-blue-on-palm-canyon.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  28.9 KB
    Name:  big-blue-at-disney.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  39.8 KB

I had a 65 dodge when I was in higschool in the early 90s. Me and my dad worked on it and could actually "fix" things. It was a great car, V8 engine, got about 12 miles to the gallon, no seat belts in the back seat and reeked of gasoline. I miss that car.

---------- Post added 06-10-2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

You ever notice how the cars are so differnt now, the difference between 1960s and 2012. Huge difference, but the airplanes look EXACTLY THE SAME. Kind of crazy. The engines are different, the electronics and technology are different but the airframe of a 747 looks the same.

• Minion

I'm not that into cars and my dad understands its not everyone's thing so I now nothing about under the hood and cars land still doesn't make me want to learn more about cars.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I had a 65 dodge when I was in higschool in the early 90s. Me and my dad worked on it and could actually "fix" things. It was a great car, V8 engine, got about 12 miles to the gallon, no seat belts in the back seat and reeked of gasoline. I miss that car.

---------- Post added 06-10-2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

You ever notice how the cars are so differnt now, the difference between 1960s and 2012. Huge difference, but the airplanes look EXACTLY THE SAME. Kind of crazy. The engines are different, the electronics and technology are different but the airframe of a 747 looks the same.
    Actually there are some significant changes in aircraft body design. A lot of it in the wings, and materials used. But yes I know what you are saying, the general shape looks exactly the same, while cars changed drastically.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

The Hot Rod culture has slowly but surely been killed off by Ca. politicians and Smog laws. There is not too much you can do to any car that requires Smog and still pass.

I would LOVE to be able to afford a nice classic car, but they are out of my reach right now.

60 years ago on what is the Disneyland Property was the Trailer Factory that my father ran.
    1n 1950's, we had a Indy 500 racecar, Midget racecars, our own 1/4 scale Midget racers and banked ovel track.

In the 1947 the factory owner set the fastest time that year for a Roadster at 130 mph on the dry lakes out on Route 66.

This car is now in the NHRA Museum.

When Walt Disney purchased the property and kicked us off, my father brought home the '51 Willys Jeep that was used to move the trailers around. We used it for hunting and many trips to the Calfiornia desert. My brother and I turned it into a hot rod with a '56 Corvette 283 engine with triple 97 carbs. It has evolved many times since and I still own it.

Two years ago I was able to meet with Kathy Magum to discuss the decorations for Carsland. She had no interest in any reality and told me if it is not in Lassiter's Cars movie, she would not be allowed include it. I had hoped to give my Hot Rod Jeep to Disney to return it to its origional home when new.

Here it is out in the real route 66 desert.
    According to Kathy M. this DL history does not fit the theme of Carsland.....

Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 06-10-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    The Hot Rod culture has slowly but surely been killed off by Ca. politicians and Smog laws. There is not too much you can do to any car that requires Smog and still pass.

I would LOVE to be able to afford a nice classic car, but they are out of my reach right now.
    This. I believe they are trying to force muscle cars into extinction. That ain't never gonna happen!! I am regularly stopped by people who like to chat with me about my car, memories of their cars, and everything in between. I love taking the scenic routes, usually have to do it on my own though, as other people don't understand and are just looking to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible.

I also much prefer driving to flying, even if it were to be crossing states. It's relaxation for me. I LOVE cars. Not to mention, it's one of the few things me and my dad could talk about for hours and not get in a heated argument about!

For the record, Cast Members have been known on occasion to tell me to take up two spaces. It's not by my own doing!
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    This. I believe they are trying to force muscle cars into extinction. That ain't never gonna happen!! I am regularly stopped by people who like to chat with me about my car, memories of their cars, and everything in between. I love taking the scenic routes, usually have to do it on my own though, as other people don't understand and are just looking to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible.

I also much prefer driving to flying, even if it were to be crossing states. It's relaxation for me. I LOVE cars. Not to mention, it's one of the few things me and my dad could talk about for hours and not get in a heated argument about!

For the record, Cast Members have been known on occasion to tell me to take up two spaces. It's not by my own doing!
    Nice!

I have a 04 GT myself and do get stopped from time to time, mostly from other Mustang owners or people who remember having (insert year here) mustang.

I love my car, but you are very limited as to what you can do!

• Under that tree again!

There is plenty you can still fix on a car. It's just that what usually breaks now has to be electronically diagnosed, you just don't hear the wrong noise or see the cracks as much anymore. Plus cars last two or three times longer, you are no longer replacing something that will give you a great bonus of ten thousand more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    There is plenty you can still fix on a car. It's just that what usually breaks now has to be electronically diagnosed, you just don't hear the wrong noise or see the cracks as much anymore. Plus cars last two or three times longer, you are no longer replacing something that will give you a great bonus of ten thousand more miles.
    Im just saying now the only thing I can replace on my car is maybe the spark plugs and air filter. I am no mechanic though, just saying the old cars were a lot easier to see what was going on.

As far as them trying to force muscle cars into extinction. Aren't cars over 25 years old Grand Fathered in? As in they are exempt from the strict pollution laws etc?

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Im just saying now the only thing I can replace on my car is maybe the spark plugs and air filter. I am no mechanic though, just saying the old cars were a lot easier to see what was going on.

As far as them trying to force muscle cars into extinction. Aren't cars over 25 years old Grand Fathered in? As in they are exempt from the strict pollution laws etc?
    1976 and older only. That law was repealed in 2005.

Most of the newer V8 cars do get pretty good mileage if you aren't lead-footing it everywhere. I had a tank average 33mpg on the way home from Flagstaff, and my Aunt's ZL1 routinely sees 30+mpg on the freeway when the traffic isn't stop n go. The big thing is aftermarket parts. They have to be CARB approved, even if they do not raise smog levels. Most companies aren't willing to shell out the extra bucks for testing.

Anyways, back on-topic:
    I am VERY MUCH looking forward to going to Carsland in the winter. Gonna wait til the crowds die down. Both of my nephews are HUGE Cars fan and love their hot wheels. I really want to convince my brother to build them a nice slot car track

Strangely, I hear a lot of folks with cars from the 80s and earlier are getting comparable, and sometimes BETTER mileage than some of the hybrids being pumped out today.

Cars have been a part of the family for a long, long time! My dad had a late 60s Firebird (still kicks himself for not going with the Camaro!) My mom had an early 70s Corvette and between me and my brothers we've each owned Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, and a pretty sleek late 80s Ferrari at one point. Although Cars Land is clearly focused on the Pixar property, I know I already know it will send me into a realm of nostalgia having been so heavily influenced by the culture growing up.

I can't wait to leave for our trip Wednesday night!!
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Minion

They should have a Hot Rod Parade in Carsland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast