Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

POTC in Disneyland: why is it better?

This is a genuine wondering, because I myself have never had the pleasure of visiting the Magic Kingdom in Florida.
    I've heard several people I know who have been there say that the POTC ride kind of sucks there compared to the Disneyland version. I'm not sure why, can somebody explain in detail the difference?
    I thought they were supposed to be almost the same ride, so I'm wondering why people don't like the other one.
    Thanks!

Re: POTC in Disneyland: why is it better?

The one in Florida lacks the restaurant/above ground entrance. That's the biggest thing I remember.

• Former CM

They are definitely not the same experience. Florida's version is shorter and most would agree much less exciting than Disneyland's.

There are no drops in Florida's version and it begins pretty much at the halfway point of our attraction (the big battle scene). It's just not the same.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak15 View Post
    They are definitely not the same experience. Florida's version is shorter and most would agree much less exciting than Disneyland's.

There are no drops in Florida's version and it begins pretty much at the halfway point of our attraction (the big battle scene). It's just not the same.
    Actually there is one drop in Florida's version. I think DL's is better because of the blue bayou, extended cave scenes, and the gun battle in the ammunition room.

• -

The ride is longer in CA and there are two drops instead of one. The two drops in CA are both longer than the one in FL.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

This is just my opinion, and I've only been to the Magic Kingdom POTC a couple of times, so I am no expert.
    Magic Kingdom has a better Queue.
    The drops don't seem to be as far or as fun and you don't even get to experience the first scenes that they have in Disneyland.
    I think that the entire ride is a lot shorter in the Magic Kingdom compared to Disneyland.
    Plus, you don't get to ride back up the waterfall with the boats either.
    Magic Kingdom POTC is still a good ride, but it pales in comparison to Disneyland's version.

I think that I have read some better reviews of the Magic Kingdoms version here on Mice Chat, but I don't remember where.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries
    In addition to the other comments, there is no New Orleans Square in Florida. I grew up with the attraction in that context.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Member of Baxter's Army

The Ride is in the Caribbean Plaza area of Adventureland at the Magic Kingdom.
    The building and queue are designed to be a Spanish fortress called the Castillo del Morro. The ride begins with the mist with Blackbeard you go through him and a smaller version of Dead Mans Cove is on your left, after passing that you see Hurricane Lagoon on your right. immediately after is the drop that brings you into the battle scene. The rest is pretty much identical to Disneyland (only on a smaller scale.) except there is no Arsenal scene you go right from the Jail Scene to Jack in the Treasure Room then you get off the boat and go up a speed ramp (like at Disneyland's Haunted Mansion) and exit into the Gift Shop.
    The DL version is 15 minutes long, The WDW version is only 8 minutes long due to the missing scenes.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

The queue in WDW is far superior to the one at Disneyland's. But as far as what's better at WDW vs DL, that's where it ends. The attraction is very short and very rushed. It's over before you know it.

The story goes though is that Pirates was never supposed to be there in the first place as they were going to build The Western River Expedition. There were complaints that there was no Pirates in Magic Kingdom when it opened as the attraction at Disneyland was very popular. So they scrapped WRE and you have the product that is there now. Seems hastily put together and now you know why.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Banned User

I have to agree that the queue in the Magic Kingdom is much more interesting. My least favorite part of Pirates in Disneyland is the end where you float past the parrot/queue.

• Insomniac

Pirates doesn't even compare with Disneyland's because there is so much less to look at! The queue however, is WAY better in WDW and the setting/ area of the ride actually makes more sense in WDW than it does in Disneyland. I LOVE the facades for the one in Orlando but the shorter ride makes it feel like half the ride that is in Anaheim.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Pirates doesn't even compare with Disneyland's because there is so much less to look at! The queue however, is WAY better in WDW and the setting/ area of the ride actually makes more sense in WDW than it does in Disneyland. I LOVE the facades for the one in Orlando but the shorter ride makes it feel like half the ride that is in Anaheim.
    The time difference alone makes the Orlando ride just slightly more than half the Anaheim version
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 7846 miles, 451,000 feet

• formerly very helpful

I'll just repeat what's said. The line is much better in Florida. The ride is better here, due to the scenes we have here that are missing in WDW, and the lack of one of the drops, and the ride up at the end. It's still a good ride though. Ours is just better.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Just the way the rides set up from the Bayou...to the caves then the Pirates...then it ends....it just feels right

• Sock Puppet

The people above pretty much said all that I was going to say, so instead I will present youtube videos for both as reference. :P
    Disneyland Park:

The Magic Kingdom Park:
    Last edited by Disneylandfan67; 06-10-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Revision of post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast