Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Concern for breakdowns of Radiator Springs Racers

So I have been hearing a lot of breakdowns lately during the AP previews this given weekend. I was wondering if they will fix the problem by opening day since I did remember reading that they had a problem with some of the animatronics working on time. (I even saw a video posted where the last animatronic (broadcaster?) was lagging) Do these AP and CM previews count as soft openings and maybe they will address the problem afterwards prior to the opening? Or this might be like an IJA of DCA???

• Minion

Re: Concern for breakdowns of Radiator Springs Racers

Any new attraction, especially one as complex as RSR will have breakdowns during testing. Sensors are too sensitive, CMs are still getting used to the pacing of the attraction, animatronics are still "learning" their routines. The point of soft openings is to make sure all the kinks are worked out and addressed. In fact, over the course of the weekend, the amount of breakdowns started to decrease.

Everything should be fine by Thursday.

• Toad Hall

Its a brand new ride, they need to still figure out what sensors keep tripping and other problems like that. This ride will break down a lot less than IJA
    <font size=4> </font>

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

The two breakdowns I noticed last night still had the cars running, which is good. Most likely one of the show scenes or something else were having a problem.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Last night it went down completely (no cars running) for over an hour and a half (I was next in line to get on and I waited it out) - the longest its been down according to the CM I spoke with. I guess time will tell, but we've been hearing of a lot of issues and they don't have much time before the crowds are going to increase exponentially. The trouble when I was there was with one particular car which they had to electronically push off the track into the maintenance area (there are pics on my TR). Perhaps the animatronics are the problem at other times, but that wasn't the case last night.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

^Last night it looked like the car had stopped working. I was two car behind it near the Mater and Lightning AA's. Since we were on track before track switch, we got evacuated before some of the closer cars to station. I know it was down for a long time because they did have to evac everyone and then walk the entire track in addition to car being broke.

I'm pretty surprised to see all the animations in this ride, it's definitely more than I thought it would have. It's filled with really big ones, and ones that are synced with projectors, and move very quickly. I rally can't think of any other ride like that. It's like a ride filled with hopping brer rabbits. Even Journey in TDL only has one major AA.

This thing is going to be a maintenance nightmare. I wish I were going soon, because I could see lots of things being simplified in the future.

-r

•   
    • Minion

It's a new attraction i am sure it will have it's moments. But none of the attractions in the whole resort are perfect so I am not too worried.

I was one of the ones that stuck it out last night in line as well. It was my second time riding and I adore it, so stick through the breakdowns. The time I rode earlier in the day it went down very briefly 2 times while I was in line (5 minutes or less).

I don't recall reading one way or another so forgive me if this is wholly incorrect, but it seems like it's the same ride system as test track (I know, thanks Captain Obvious!) and I recall test track also breaking multiple times while I was in Epcot, after it was years old…the short of it is, to me it seems this type of ride system is error prone. Maybe it has something to do with extra safeties regarding how fast the vehicles move, that's all very sketchy guess-work and just the musings of an uninformed person.

That said, same ride system or not, RSR is a bazillion times better than TestTrack due to the theming. I played right into their hands and got chills as the ride emerged from the small tunnel and the waterfall was there with the swelling music and the slowing of the car. Very dramatic. Mater is one of the most impressive AAs I've seen (IMO)…The ride is OMG awesome, at least to me, and worth waiting out breakdowns.

Thanks for the reply people, I am hoping everything will get fixed by opening because I do not know how they will handle the issue when a whole bunch of people start lining up for the ride this summer.

It also seems like today the ride had multiple breakdowns!

Rode RSR 8+ times yesterday. The ride did not break down, but there were some anomalies.

On one ride, there was no other car to race. On another ride, our car stalled in front of Van and Manny. Van and Manny's eyes went blank. On another ride, there was the sound of metal grinding/clanking below our car.

Ah yes, one more thing, but not sure if it is an anomaly. Is the third tractor in the tractor-tipping scene always on its back? On our first few rides, I think it fell back like the other two, but later it seemed to be always on its back.

Today for the first AP preview RSR was delayed opening about 90 mins. It really cut into our limited time in the preview today. Just glad it wasn't a paid preview.

• Pilot EdForceOne

shakedown and perfecting is not something they will sort out in weeks. It will still be evolving months from now as they gather data on performance, decide on alternatives, and test them out.

They get the bulk of it done before opening.. but there will ultimately be things that they continue to monitor and tweak until the ride is where they want it to be. As long as it's not putting safety at risk.. they are likely to keep pushing forward.

What most people call 'break downs' are actually safety systems being tripped causing vehicles or scenes to stop and needing to be reset.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I was in line during two breakdowns on Saturday evening. One occurred because the lights went out in the attraction, and the other because a car broke down at the very end of the ride entering the loading/unloading area. It was unfortunate, but neither a problem with the lights or a single car breaking down seems to be adequate reason to think the ride is failure-prone. Seems like it's just working out the kinks. Time will tell.

• No Light, No Light

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    Ah yes, one more thing, but not sure if it is an anomaly. Is the third tractor in the tractor-tipping scene always on its back? On our first few rides, I think it fell back like the other two, but later it seemed to be always on its back.
    I had the same question/suspicion. I wondered if I had imagined the third tractor tipping over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast