Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Possible error in Cars Land or I'm wrong and need some clarification...

So... we were at the Cars Land preview yesterday and were standing at the start of Route 66 next to the Radiator Springs sign. A cast member approached us and asked if we knew why the Radiator Springs population sign had been changed from 11 to 12 as seen below. We answered the obvious answer, which was that Lightning moved to Radiator Springs, and he said "That's right!" and we moved on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012.06.09 - untitled - 5129.jpg 
Views:	1489 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	20541

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012.06.09 - untitled - 5136.jpg 
Views:	1477 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	20542

Several hours later, we realized that there are indeed 13 residents of Radiator Springs and not 12. Did they make an error or am I making a mistake somewhere:

1. Lightning McQueen
    2. Mater
    3. Sally
    4. Ramone
    5. Flo
    6. Sarge
    7. Fillmore
    8. Luigi
    9. Guido
    10. Doc Hudson
    11. Sheriff
    12. Red
    13. Lizzie (Mrs. Stanley)

We researched it a bit and realized that Doc died between Cars and Cars 2, but we feel that he should be included in the list of residents since he appears in Radiator Springs Racers. The only character on the above list that we didn't actually see anywhere in Cars Land was Lizzie, but her Curios Shop is there and she appears in both Cars movies so I don't think we can say that she "died" like Doc. Finally, if any characters did die, then they wouldn't have needed to change the sign since Lightning moving in would have offset anyone dying or leaving. Any thoughts?

On a different note, Cars Land is AWESOME. I won't go on about it except to say that we really didn't have an appriciation for the scale of the site until we walked through it. On your first visit, I recommend entering through the entrance on the Wharf. It by far offers the best views.

Thanks!

Jeff

• Future Imagineer

Re: Possible error in Cars Land or I'm wrong and need some clarification...

The land takes place after the films, while RSR is in between them, so it makes sense that it would say Pop. of 12

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    The land takes place after the films, while RSR is in between them, so it makes sense that it would say Pop. of 12
    Still then it should have said 12 previously. It seems they made a mistake, but maybe there's another explanation. I'm interested to know.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

Dun dun dun.....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Still then it should have said 12 previously. It seems they made a mistake, but maybe there's another explanation. I'm interested to know.
    Maybe it said "13" previously and it was lowered after they lost Doc? In either case, I have a feeling it was Lasseter's call. I'm sure he'll have his reasons.

• Minion

Maybe the sign was actually painted with a 13 after McQueen moved in, but then they downgraded it to 12 after Doc died. Maybe it was intended to be more of an homage to the death of Doc/Paul Newman rather than a sign of Lightning's residency, and the CM was mistaken. Hmm, good observation...

• Minion

ORDDU: But no Disney or Pixar character ever really dies! Just look how often Maleficent makes appearances at the Magic Kingdom in Florida for the Dream Along with Mickey Show! If she can make a come back so can any other Disney character including Doc.

ORGOCH: Got that right, sister! Heck! The ol Horny King even came back from the dead ta ruin our sorry lives and he's one ol' geezer I wish would stay the @#$% dead!!!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Maybe they feel "13" is not a great number to display....

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

I'm not sure that I like idea that RSR takes place during a different "time" than the rest of Cars Land. I think because we see Doc, we have to count him in the population, even if there is a discrepancy with the whole Pre-Cars 2 / Post-Cars 2 theming that takes place throughout the land.

Interesting idea about not displaying "13". They display "13" at Tower of Terror, but then that number is more suited for HTH/TOT than 13 would be for Cars Land. I would make an exception to the superstition for accuracy's sake.

I'm leaning more towards mistake / inconsistency at this point, though I am still open to other ideas.

Sychros

•   
    • Minion

I am pretty sure based off of the way the sign looks they made it that way for a reason. They purposely altered for reasons we do not know ...YET!

As for Doc being in the ride i'm ok with it you can find issues like this all over the parks honestly if you look for them. Doesn't ruin the magic or enjoyment for me.

Lizzie is in RSR. she is sleeping in front of her store. she blinks a bit when your car is in front of her.

• ...TWO BITS!

Cars Land is set after the events in "Cars 2". RSR is set after the events in "Cars". Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this idea, but that's the official storyline.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• film975

A new character was added to the Radiator Springs population in Cars 2. And that was Otis... the town's lemon (voiced by Jeff Garlin). They could be counting him on the population sign.

Name:  282px-Otis-1-.png
Views: 1035
Size:  61.6 KB

• Zephyr Pilot

My guess is that Guido is not a U.S. citizen.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    My guess is that Guido is not a U.S. citizen.
    lmao

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast