• Fantasyland

1 1.49%
  • Something else over at DCA

9 13.43%
  • Something elsewhere at Disneyland

5 7.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: What do you think is the next project at the Disneyland Resort?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    Take out this ride that takes up more space then most lands in DCA, which was poorly positioned, and blocking off half the park from the other side.

Attachment 20549

If you take the highlighted area and drag it over other parts of the park... its the same size as paradise bay, radiator springs, TOT and Bugs land combined, or two Buena Vista Streets.
    While I agree with your points about location, I don't see this happening within the next 20 years... if ever.

Personally, I'm hoping for Frontierland. I think that land has a ton of potential to experience a new heyday if done properly. Tomorrowland might "need" it more though. Just a lot of sub-par attractions and noticeably wasted space.

• Please pull the yellowtab

I'm really hoping Tomorrow Land is improved upon. Especially that eyesore called Innoventions. I've been able to ignore, for the most part, the people mover tracks by thinking of them as decorative pillars. However, after visiting Cars Land and seeing what Disney can actually do in a few years, I really want them to make Tomorrowland a place you can be inspired; and not just a place to race through to get to the popular rides (i.e. Star Tours & Space Mountain).

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• some assembly required

Too much of the GP are satisfied with TL.

Also someone above said that to take so many rides off line will throw off the balance of the entire park. So, yeah, I agree that something must go in before they can shut down a huge section of the park.

Also, why would they have greenlit ST2.0 if they were just going to shut it down in a few years? I would like to hear therories! I know ppl have their wish list, but come on, this forum has tons of practical and creative ppl (I know, b/c I have seen them post before).
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Future Imagineer! =D

While DLR does need some changes, I think first and foremost they need to finish DCA. Finish what they started and bring the rest of the park up to par, or at least better it.

It would be dumb to just stop with DCA right now. Hopefully more changes will be announced soon. From here on out, it may not take as long to finish up the DCA changes.
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Yeah to me, now, Condor Flats and Grizzly Peak are the areas that need work. They don't feel as interesting, rides aside, as other places in the park, though Soaring' and Rapids could use improvements too.

Said it before and I'll say it again. If they want a cool themed ride not based on a movie--and they could find the room near the Wharf and Pier, an Alcatraz-themed ride could be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    That's the challenge with remodeling TL is that it's going to necessitate a lot of closures.
    This next year would have been A fine time to start doing closures in Tomorrowland, with the attention on DCA, but it will be interesting to see if and when they actually do it.

• U. B. Bold

Again, as far as expanding and updating Tomorrowland goes (or any other Land for that matter) the real issue is not whether the public is "satisfied" with it as is, but rather is it meeting guest demand.

Think of it this way: Say, for example you owned a very popular hotel that had 100 rooms and those rooms were filled to capacity just about every single day with happy, paying guests. However, during the really busy seasons like Christmas, Summertime, Halloween and Spring Break, you had demand for 150 - 200 rooms and you end up turning people away. Not only are you losing the room revenue, those are people who won't be eating in your restaurant or buying trinkets in your lobby gift shop. In business, this is what is known as a good problem, demand that outstrips your supply. Now, if you don't have any shareholders you could choose to be happy with the business you've got and not worry about all that extra demand. But if you do have shareholders that expect increasing profits you better do the smart thing and build some more hotel rooms.

This is exactly the good problem that Disney now finds itself in with their California property. The upgrades to California Adventure will increase overall resort capacity (more people = more money) but will also increase demand. Ideally, this is an ever increasing growth cycle that leads to an ever larger and better resort (at least until the demand is fully tapped out and even in this economy I don't see that happening anytime soon). So, in a nut shell, Disneyland needs more capacity to meet current and future demand. The easiest ways to do this are to open up previously underutilized areas to guests and to create high capacity "people-eating" attractions in those areas. There are three prime areas for expansion at the resort that have already been identified: Tomorrowland, the north end of Frontierland and the remander of the old parking lot at DCA south of TOT. Whichever expansion plan they choose to green-light first, the rationale for that expansion is already evident.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Tomorrowland has gone from a destination to a necessary evil. It's crowded and sloppy and I enter for ST or SM and get out. Didn't used to be that way.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

if they closed inoventions it wouldn't change the park capacity since there are only 20 people in there at a time anyways. IMO this is the biggest waste of space. on a side note I LOVE GGR and soaring LEAVE THEM ALONE
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Again, as far as expanding and updating Tomorrowland goes (or any other Land for that matter) the real issue is not whether the public is "satisfied" with it as is, but rather is it meeting guest demand.

Think of it this way: Say, for example you owned a very popular hotel that had 100 rooms and those rooms were filled to capacity just about every single day with happy, paying guests. However, during the really busy seasons like Christmas, Summertime, Halloween and Spring Break, you had demand for 150 - 200 rooms and you end up turning people away. Not only are you losing the room revenue, those are people who won't be eating in your restaurant or buying trinkets in your lobby gift shop. In business, this is what is known as a good problem, demand that outstrips your supply. Now, if you don't have any shareholders you could choose to be happy with the business you've got and not worry about all that extra demand. But if you do have shareholders that expect increasing profits you better do the smart thing and build some more hotel rooms.

This is exactly the good problem that Disney now finds itself in with their California property. The upgrades to California Adventure will increase overall resort capacity (more people = more money) but will also increase demand. Ideally, this is an ever increasing growth cycle that leads to an ever larger and better resort (at least until the demand is fully tapped out and even in this economy I don't see that happening anytime soon). So, in a nut shell, Disneyland needs more capacity to meet current and future demand. The easiest ways to do this are to open up previously underutilized areas to guests and to create high capacity "people-eating" attractions in those areas. There are three prime areas for expansion at the resort that have already been identified: Tomorrowland, the north end of Frontierland and the remander of the old parking lot at DCA south of TOT. Whichever expansion plan they choose to green-light first, the rationale for that expansion is already evident.

I think that Disneyland is due for a new attraction. Disneyland hasn't had a NEW (not refurbished or repurposed) attraction since BLAB and they haven't had anything with new construction since Indy. Disneyland is long overdue for something new.

I wouldn't mind ToonTown replaced with something else. It just seems like it really doesn't fit the style and feel of the rest of Disneyland. And obviously Autopia and Innoventions are well overdue for the bulldozer.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a major attraction going in at Tom Pirate Sawyer Island. Then either an underground tunnel or connection to the main land. I think the island is a lot of wasted space that could be used for an actual attraction.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    if they closed inoventions it wouldn't change the park capacity since there are only 20 people in there at a time anyways. IMO this is the biggest waste of space. on a side note I LOVE GGR and soaring LEAVE THEM ALONE
    To be honest...you will be upset then because in 10 years or less both rides will have been upgraded.....

Soarin will have the BIGGEST changes...but I'm sure they'll will be AP events when they bring back the old ride every once in a while

I agree that TL is most in need of attention, although it has to be said that it has seen alot of investment over the past ten years: Nemo Subs, STII, SM refresh, Buzz, new monorail trains, changes to Innoventions.

At DCA it's been rumored for some time that a new international movie is coming to Soarin' and I've read that the bears from the new mine train roller coaster at Hong Kong may also be installed at GRR, which would really lift that attaction.

For what it's worth I think the excellent Cinemagique attraction from WDS in Paris should be a no-brainer for Hollywood Land and One Man's Dream should be brought to DCA from Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav1Disney View Post
    This was probably a response to what I wrote, and my point wasn't that these rides are bad. They aren't.

But the areas they reside in now stick out to me a bit as out of step with the rest of the park. Everything I have seen with Buena Vista creates immersion. Hollywoodland could improve, but with the architecture and trolley as well as the Tower, it's still pretty much great immersion. Bugsland, Carsland, Paradise Pier, and (to a lesser extent) the Wharf are all immersive environments with some character.

Condor Flats and Grizzly Peak do not do this as well and are pretty generic (I think the Wharf teeters somewhere between these two groups), even if the rides are pretty cool.

Soarin' is VERY popular even if I'm "whelmed" by it. Much like Star Tours, though, the film will eventually get repetitive and old, even with the scents (my favorite part). The Rapids is cool (though my gf doesn't like to get wet so we don't ride it), but it's missing something (Animatronics? Thematic integration with a movie?) as a Disney ride.

To the above^

See, and I disagree. I think that out of all the lands of DCA 1.0, the Golden State area and Condor Flats were the MOST immersive. Especially the Grizzly Peak area. Walking around that area at night is one of the most relaxing, memorable experiences in the resort, I believe.

My point is that I don't think it needs any kind of 'comprehensive fixing' like PP or HL needs or needed - it just needs minor upgrades to the rides, and maybe expansion by demolishing the newest section of the Grand Californian that is closest to DCA. That would open up more room.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• 5 Star

I think Holywoodland needs to be fixed just as much as Tommorowland. Both have theming issues and certain rides need to be removed. Pertaining to Condor flats and the recreation area, I really hope they add animatronics to GRR.

As much as I'd like to see major changes in Disneyland, DCA still needs a lot of work to feel complete. But that just makes me more excited for the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast