Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Yay Mickey!!

Re: Radiator Springs Racers Ride Vehicle - How Does It Work?

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    I am not sure this is correct. The track into Luigi's simply seems to connct to another portion of the track by the tractors and is not even close to the maintenance bay in the top left of the show building.

Layout of Carsland (Radiator Springs) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So if it doesn't lead to maintenance... what is it's purpose?

[/SIZE]
    Cruise, thanks for the great photo. This helps a lot, as I was going to work off a satellite photo. The maintenance bay track provides complete access right at the safety check console; quite a nice layout. So that track switch at Luigi's is a mystery. From the photo, it appears as if the ride track can be shortened. My thought at this time would still be for maintenance, in that the track is shortened in the show building and allows the ride vehicles shorter access to the outside portion. That's all I got. Very interesting.

-Justin

---------- Post added 06-13-2012 at 03:28 PM ----------

OC2Epcot, these are great photo's. They sure are beautiful feats of engineering.

• Armchair Imagineer

edited.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DoctorQ9; 06-14-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Wrong photo was used

• Armchair Imagineer

What an idiot I am -- my crop cut off the final scene. Here is the correct imaging of the entire show building track layout.
    Name:  RSR show bldg track (Custom).jpg
Views: 661
Size:  181.1 KB

•   

The northernmost part is the encounters with Red, Mini, and Van. When you turn south in the northeast corner of the show building, you start to approach the train tracks. Then you turn right (west) and see Sheriff, followed by Mater. The trackswitch happens just after you start to follow Mater through that U-shaped part of the track. Tractor tipping happens at the top of that bend after the U. Then you see Frank on the west side of the track and turn south for that long straightaway and S-curve, which is the fast escape from Frank. Then everything from there to the next trackswitch is the entry into Radiator Springs, with Flo's surrounding you on both sides, then Radiator Springs Curios on the left, and then Luigi's and Ramone's of course. Doc is just before the two tracks turn so they're parallel for the start of the race.

......yeah I like this attraction.

Views: 668
Size:  107.7 KB

Excuse my paint MS paint drawing skills, but I believe this is the ride layout (I have not personally experience the ride, this is based off of what I have seen in POVs of the ride).

First you enter the show building and go straight into Mac, take that quick right and left and see mini and van to your left and right (the wife on the right side of the track, the husband on the left, I think I mixed their names up), then you take a right turn and see a mini RSR in the distance, but realize you are going to be cut off by the incoming train. Thus you take another right and run into do behind the bill-board, and you take a left, and from here i numbered it out.

1. The first backwards mater, that talks to you then "goes behind the bushes" (the green stuff).
    2. The second backwards mater, "it's easy, just sneak up and honk. Just don't let frank catch ya"
    3. The first set of tipping cows, two that fall over.
    4. The tipping cow that releases a puff of smoke (mist or something) out of its "nose".
    5. Frank wakes up and you accelerate up the uphill straight away. (The change in elevation is denoted by the thicker track on the map.
    6. After the straight away you take a quick right and then a smooth left and are in town.
    7. You are coming in from the backside of Flo's and see Sarge and Fillmore on you right.
    8. Going into a gentle right you see the curious shop and then Red watering plants on your left.
    9. Sally and Lightning are straight ahead of you with the rest of the town behind them, and they lead you either into Luigi's or Ramone's.
    10. Luigi's is on the left here, you enter and go into the back room, and stop on a platform which shakes the vehicle around while the tires get changed out.
    11. Ramone's has two misting (paint) machines that move with your car on the straight away.
    12. You enter some sort of garage behind Luigi's and Ramone's somehow (???) and see Doc Hudson dressed as the Hudson Hornet while he preps you for the race, and then you enter a room with Luigi and Guido on your left who start your race around the outside.
    Last edited by Evanator; 06-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.

That track switch is odd. I would say it's used to bypass parts of the indoor portion if something fails. I'm not sure what that is though as if they are concerned about failing animatronics or something your passing quite a few animatronics even taking the shortcut.

Having all the vehicles that that shortcut would create a pretty large backup at the station as well. It could also be a mid course emergency area to remove a vehicles, but its not all that mid course.

• Banned User

Disney also took out a patent for a ride system which would allow a car to "fish-tail" as it traveled down a road. I remember in Cars that McQueen fishtails, or fails too, during his training in Radiator Springs.

The forces that this would have put on the assembly would have been pretty big, not sure if it would have worked, but it would have provided movement of the car independent of the track, like Indy.

Thanks to the electrical engineer for the technical info!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUSHIE View Post
    That track switch is odd. I would say it's used to bypass parts of the indoor portion if something fails. I'm not sure what that is though as if they are concerned about failing animatronics or something your passing quite a few animatronics even taking the shortcut.

Having all the vehicles that that shortcut would create a pretty large backup at the station as well. It could also be a mid course emergency area to remove a vehicles, but its not all that mid course.
    The shortcut might simply be used when they are adding vehicles to the system at morning startup or after downtime.

The other thing I've always wondered since I first saw the blueprints for the show building was how the maintenance bay works. The maintenance track is too short to hold all the vehicles so they have to be removed to the working area (which is a first in, last out stack). It must work like Matterhorn except it can handle a lot more vehicles, but I still can't figure it out. Where do all the sliding track pieces go when all the vehicles are out on the track?
    Last edited by Mojave; 06-13-2012 at 05:52 PM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

• Yay Mickey!!

When TT first opened, the maintence bay was not very big. Often times there was a car or two sitting outside. A year or two later, an expanded garage was built under the outside portion of the track. You can see a number of cars back there for maintenance. I was in the original bay not long after TT opened and thought it was well thought out and well stocked. Operations felt more room was needed. Looking at the photo (above), RSR's maintence bay looks to be bigger than the original bay at TT.

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    The shortcut might simply be used when they are adding vehicles to the system at morning startup or after downtime.
    Good point.

I can see how in theory the cars could fishtail, given that the rear wheels also steer, so the slide would just be crated by the angle of the wheel not that its actually sliding.

This wouldn't work with a single track under the car like it is now though. There would have to be a separate track for the rear and the front in parallel, then the rear of the car would be able to slide independently to one side.
    Last edited by SLUSHIE; 06-13-2012 at 10:11 PM.

• Team Hail HYDRA

My thought is that it is for bypass for adding cars
    but why not make it switch into taillight caverns
    if someone goes down soon ask and post it on here

Quote Originally Posted by SLUSHIE View Post
    Good point.

I can see how in theory the cars could fishtail, given that the rear wheels also steer, so the slide would just be crated by the angle of the wheel not that its actually sliding.

This wouldn't work with a single track under the car like it is now though. There would have to be a separate track for the rear and the front in parallel, then the rear of the car would be able to slide independently to one side.

Holy crap! I know I'm bringing back an old post here, but I just found something incredibly similar to what i was talking about. Disney filed a patent for a boat ride that works just exactly how I was thinking. Patent US8091483 - Amusement park ride with underwater-controlled boats - Google Patents

Too bad that same concept couldn't have been incorporated into RSR to simulate a drift at some point during the slower interior portion.

• I'm the only one!

From what I heard the switch is just a track bypass. Only used for maintenance reasons. The cars are stored in the actual show building on the main track, not in the maintenance bay.
    "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evanator View Post
Views: 668
Size:  107.7 KB

Excuse my paint MS paint drawing skills, but I believe this is the ride layout (I have not personally experience the ride, this is based off of what I have seen in POVs of the ride).

First you enter the show building and go straight into Mac, take that quick right and left and see mini and van to your left and right (the wife on the right side of the track, the husband on the left, I think I mixed their names up), then you take a right turn and see a mini RSR in the distance, but realize you are going to be cut off by the incoming train. Thus you take another right and run into do behind the bill-board, and you take a left, and from here i numbered it out.

1. The first backwards mater, that talks to you then "goes behind the bushes" (the green stuff).
    2. The second backwards mater, "it's easy, just sneak up and honk. Just don't let frank catch ya"
    3. The first set of tipping cows, two that fall over.
    4. The tipping cow that releases a puff of smoke (mist or something) out of its "nose".
    5. Frank wakes up and you accelerate up the uphill straight away. (The change in elevation is denoted by the thicker track on the map.
    6. After the straight away you take a quick right and then a smooth left and are in town.
    7. You are coming in from the backside of Flo's and see Sarge and Fillmore on you right.
    8. Going into a gentle right you see the curious shop and then Red watering plants on your left.
    9. Sally and Lightning are straight ahead of you with the rest of the town behind them, and they lead you either into Luigi's or Ramone's.
    10. Luigi's is on the left here, you enter and go into the back room, and stop on a platform which shakes the vehicle around while the tires get changed out.
    11. Ramone's has two misting (paint) machines that move with your car on the straight away.
    12. You enter some sort of garage behind Luigi's and Ramone's somehow (???) and see Doc Hudson dressed as the Hudson Hornet while he preps you for the race, and then you enter a room with Luigi and Guido on your left who start your race around the outside.
    Anyone know why there is a path from the Mater scene....to the Main street scene>?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast