Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Was the Billion Dollars Well Spent? How was it spent?

DCA 2.0 Construction began in December 2007, It has been said that cost between 1 billion and 1.1 billion .
    Lets first take a look at the rough timeline

October 2007 Makeover Planned Announced.
    December 2007 Construction began,
    June 2008 Midway Mania Opens
    October 2008 Blue Sky Cellar Replaces Seasons of the Vine
    April 2009 Games of the Boardwalk were rethemed
    May 2009 The Sun Wheel Becomes Mickeys Fun Wheel
    June 2010 Silly Symphony Swings replaces the Orange Stinger
    June 2010 World of Color Debuts which includes the addition of Paradise Park
    September 2010 Maliboomer closed and removed
    June 2011 Ariels Undersea Adventure Opens
    July 2011 Goofy Sky School opens
    July 2011 Paradise Gardens-Restaurant Complex opens
    July 2011 New Entrance Opens themed after the Pan Pacific Auditorium
    July 2011 Golden Gate Bridge removed
    August 2011 Sunshine Plaza closes to construct Buena Vista Street
    June 15th 2012 Carsland opens featuring 3 new attractions (LFT, MJJ, RSR), 3 shops, 3 food options

June 15th Buena Vista Street opens featuring 1 new attaction (rct) , 3 food options and several shops.

IN addition to this timeline. The games of the boardwalks were rethemed, Grizzly river run and Redwood creek challenge trail were updated placemaking projects took place all over the park specifically paradise pier, condor flats Hollywood pictures backlot and Grizzly Peak.

So hearing about this, do you feel it was money well spent? Do you think it could of been done differently?
    I think overall it was money well spent it needed to be done however I think they could of had added an additional attraction in Carsland and put something in the place of Maliboomer.
    What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by lighttragic; 06-11-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: date fixed

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Was the Billion Dollars Well Spent? How was it spent?

my thoughts? wait til phase 2 for the rest. so far its well spent

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Unhelpful User

where did you come up with these number remember it's 2 phases phase 1 is over and that's about half of the 1.1 billion

• Minion

Some of your dates are off Sun wheel didn't become the fun wheel until 2009

EDIT: But besides that idk
    Last edited by Dlandclub33; 06-11-2012 at 05:52 PM.

• Senior Minion

No offense, but these threads always end up becoming kind of silly and pointless with people arguing over numbers that they have no idea about. I don't really know, nor does almost anyone else on here.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    where did you come up with these number remember it's 2 phases phase 1 is over and that's about half of the 1.1 billion
    As far as its been said and quoted the billion dollars was spent over the five years. No phase 2 has formally been announced or funded.

---------- Post added 06-11-2012 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Some of your dates are off Sun wheel didn't become the fun wheel until 2009

EDIT: But besides that idk
    I fixed the fun wheel you are correct it was a typo. The other dates other than placemaking are as accurate as I can find on the internet... take that for what it is lol

---------- Post added 06-11-2012 at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    No offense, but these threads always end up becoming kind of silly and pointless with people arguing over numbers that they have no idea about. I don't really know, nor does almost anyone else on here.
    No offense taken, however they are two questions one of them being was the money well spent? I would like to hear your opinion on that

• Under that tree again!

Phase 2 is made up. It's a way to recognize what wasn't done but still needs to be done by people outside of Disney.

The announced expansion is what people refer to as Phase 1 which is ending now. There is no official second expansion.

I would like to correct the gentleman referring to Phase 2 as completely 'made up'. It has basis in fact - projects that were put by the wayside, projects that weren't completed within the budget for Phase 1 that we know are still on the slate of eventual projects. I'm confident that although it isn't an 'official' project, it is a correct term for a series of improvement projects that will continue to take place at the resort.

Calling it 'made up' just seems silly to me.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Senior Minion

Well, my point is without knowing exactly how much they spent on each thing how can we really judge if it was spent well. I think that everything that they have done ranges from ok to excellent and it has all been a huge improvement and generally moving in the right direction.

With that said, it feels like they didn't quite get as much out of a billion dollars as I might have expected. But it's such a huge project and so much money has been spent on demo and temporary stuff and some behind the scenes stuff, so it's really hard to judge. It could be that it just adds up fast and a billion just doesn't go as far these days.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    my thoughts? wait til phase 2 for the rest. so far its well spent
    There is only 1 phase. Every penny of the 1.2 Billion has been spent. If DCA wants to add something new, they will have to ask corporate for money again.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Radiator Springs Racers alone costs $350 million. Carsland as a whole cost over $600 million. That was half right there.

Little Mermaid...Buena Vista Street...Paradise Gardens...Paradise Park...it all added up.

I am always surprised people never realize how easily WDI blows through money.

• Special Agent

Has there ever been an actual phase two completed in the history of Disneyland? I'm still waiting for the phase two of Pirate's Lair.

---------- Post added 06-11-2012 at 08:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I am always surprised people never realize how easily WDI blows through money.
    You sell them a new queue for screamin and the sun wheel then after they say yes, suddenly there isnt enough money. Funny how that always happens.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Has there ever been an actual phase two completed in the history of Disneyland? I'm still waiting for the phase two of Pirate's Lair.
    I suppose it depends on your definition. I think you could definitely consider HM phase 2 of the New Orleans Square expansion for sure. You could call the Matterhorn, Subs and Monorail phase 2 for the original park, but that's stretching it a bit more. A lot of the ideas were floating around in Walt's head in some form when the park opened, but they weren't a formal phase 2. The reworking of the RoA waterfront for Fantasmic! was also kind of a phase 2. That one WDI knew they were going to need a phase 2 but they had to wait for the budget until management realized how popular it was and that it was needed. But they have definitely failed to follow through on a number of things in recent years that we thought were going to do like Pirates Lair. I still have a good feeling that we're going to see more improvements to DCA though. This isn't a typical project, they've never totally redesigned a park before.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Really, a billion bucks isn't all that much money any more. Not in an age when the production, prints and marketing of a single film can cost a quarter billion. Add to that the enormous cut taken off the top by Disney's overhead, and it's really pretty amazing that DCA got what it did for that much -- or that little -- money.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Rather than quibble about how many nickels and dimes were spent, the better question was "Was it money well spent?" Unfortunately YES, unfortunate because DCA was poorly designed originally and as such Disney was forced to fix the under performing park by having to through a boat load of good money after bad money. One point one Gigiwatts, er billion, that I'm sure the stock holders would have rather saved as part of the bottom line, or reinvested in Disneyland proper.

Something had to be done... DCA is much better for it

•   
    • Minion

I say yes! Mainly because it makes the resort better than it was and more enjoyable. That's a win in my book!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast