Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: One More Land Would Make DCA a full day resort!

I have always thought Grizzly River Run takes up a lot of space for one attraction. They should have made several attractions with the land. Like the way the sub, autopia, and motor boat cruise use to intertwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Skipper View Post
    I have always thought Grizzly River Run takes up a lot of space for one attraction. They should have made several attractions with the land. Like the way the sub, autopia, and motor boat cruise use to intertwine.
    This is one area I think disney has really declined. Walt employed such interesting and clever logistics when planning rides. They always intertwined and used space so wisely. Now especially in DCA everything is either in separated giant boxes and or inside the actual park VS DL where they put show buildings outside the berm or layered things in ingenious ways.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

I agree totally. The used to build a "realm" and then give you a choice of different ways to experience it. Rivers of America once had 5 different watercraft: Mark Twain, Columbia, Keel Boats, Canoes, Rafts. The area of Frontierland that became Nature's Wonderland once had 4 attractions (Pack Mules, Stagecoach, Conestoga Wagons, Rainbow Caverns Mine Train) all sharing the same show area. Casey Jr. and Storybookland Canal Boats share some of the same real estate. At one time, Tomorrowland Autopia, Fantasyland Autopia, Motor Boat Cruise, Monorail, PeopleMover and Submarines were all either contiguous or overlapping. The PeopleMover itself passed in or near Adventure Thru Inner Space, Space Mountain, the Innoventions Building, and the America the Beautiful/BLAB building in addition to passing near Monorail, Autopia and the submarines. Even the Disneyland Railroad skirts other attractions and passes by all lands. The synergy of overlapping attractions and waving to people on other attractions was part of the appeal. Nowadays everything is separated and compartmentalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I agree totally. The used to build a "realm" and then give you a choice of different ways to experience it. Rivers of America once had 5 different watercraft: Mark Twain, Columbia, Keel Boats, Canoes, Rafts. The area of Frontierland that became Nature's Wonderland once had 4 attractions (Pack Mules, Stagecoach, Conestoga Wagons, Rainbow Caverns Mine Train) all sharing the same show area. Casey Jr. and Storybookland Canal Boats share some of the same real estate. At one time, Tomorrowland Autopia, Fantasyland Autopia, Motor Boat Cruise, Monorail, PeopleMover and Submarines were all either contiguous or overlapping. The PeopleMover itself passed in or near Adventure Thru Inner Space, Space Mountain, the Innoventions Building, and the America the Beautiful/BLAB building in addition to passing near Monorail, Autopia and the submarines. Even the Disneyland Railroad skirts other attractions and passes by all lands. The synergy of overlapping attractions and waving to people on other attractions was part of the appeal. Nowadays everything is separated and compartmentalized.
    I suppose the upside to the new way is the huge pathways and space you get at DCA. But still, there has to be a better balance of the two.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

No DCA doesn't need another land it needs to add to the ones it already has. It has the same amount of lands as DL, both parks have 8. But DCA has Pacific Wharf and Condor Flats as lands with one or no rides at all in them. I'd say let's make the places were going to call "lands" really "lands" before we go adding anymore.

GRR just needs some animatronics and extra plussing. Other than that, I say don't mess with it. That land in general is practically perfect as is, in my opinion. It's a wonderful representation of the kind of lower Sierra Nevadas I used to live in as a kid, and it always makes me stop and grin when I walk through that land at night. It could maybe use one more major attraction, but sadly the DVC expansion of the GrCa hotel blocked off that option.

As to general balance of lands - I count 6:

1. Buena Vista Street
    2. Carsland
    3. Hollywoodland
    4. a bugs land
    5. Paradise Pier
    6. The Golden State
    -Which consists of the sublands:
    +Condor Flats
    +Grizzly Peak
    +Pacific Wharf
    +Napa Wineries & associated remainder of central 'Golden State' area.

I choose to count it like that because it evens out the things to do in each land a bit. But the point still stands: there's just a lot less to do per land. I think there's still a lot of plussing and cleaning house to do before they focus on simply 'adding' any more - especially if the Company plans on focusing on truly 'adding' things to DL proper, there won't be any budget left over for blockbuster expansion projects across the Esplanade.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Minion of Chernabog

Not sure if this has been said yet, but a Pixar themed land doesn't work because Pixar is an animation studio, not a theme. Princesses all more or less fit (with the exception of a few) into the sort of time period Fantasyland is in. You could expect them to be in the same place, it makes sense. They have a common theme.

However, WALL-E, Cars, and Toy Story have no similarity besides that a particular animation studio made them. That is why a Pixar themed land falls apart, they can't have exteriors besides maybe studio buildings in the land because there is no unifying theme besides "studio buildings." And it's the exteriors and the tied together things that make Disney better than Universal, in my opinion.
    The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing - Walt Disney

Shut up and get to work - Me

DCA still has issues from when it first opened in its existing lands. If they fixed that and expanded upon the lands, a new land would not ne necessary to make it a full day park.

Redo parts of Hollywoodland, go all the way on the new theming for Paradise Pier, and eventually, when the franchise's legacy runs out, generalize Cars Land into a "Route 66" land that is opened to rides with more sub-themes than just the Cars movies. And fix a bug's land so it's not just a throwaway Camp Snoopy-style part of the park.

• I'm a Lutheran

Put a new California-themed Country Bears show in place of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. A Bug's Land can remain for the kids as long as it gets some refurbishments and beautification. Demolish the Paradise Pier Hotel and the overflow parking lot (building a second parking structure in place of what I believe is the Lilo lot? The one next to Mickey and Friends that always has school buses). A covered bridge can cross from Paradise Pier over the roadway below and into the former home of the hotel. In the gigantic new space would be a land where the rich history of California would be represented. We already have National Parks, aviation tributes, 1920's LA, 1940's Hollywood (Hollywood Land would also get a remodel), the beaches, the deserts, and some of Northern California, now we just need some more historical references and features thrown in there. For instance, part of the new land can be themed to 1800's San Francisco at the time of the Gold Rush, my idea for Golden River Expedition (Western River redone and revised to match the Gold Rush), a Mystic Manor-type attraction, maybe even a mine car attraction (differing from Big Thunder of course), and the most expansive and probably most expensive idea yet: a mega dark ride in lieu of Epcot, telling the history of California from the last Great Ice Age to the future of the Golden State.

It'd cost about another $2,000,000,000 but it'd be worth it!
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Mickey is not my Brother

Why destro Redwood Creek Challenge Trail to replace Country Bears why not have both there is space behind the San Francisco restrooms. Also I saw add more details to the existing lands. Animal animatronics to Grizzly Peak; Seals, buoys, seagulls and fishing poles to Pacific Wharf. More beach areas to Paradise Pier with changing tents and add a boat to the Paradise Bay for looks if anything.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I was kidding.
    Shows you how bright I am. I thought that might be the case, but I couldn't take a chance at someone disparaging that hotel lol!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

I don't think another Land per say is needed, however, Carsland is not enough, give me a few more dark rides, and we can call it a full day. I love the idea of a world show case California, that would be awesome!

• The Picture Guy

What can happen next is the removal of Bug's Land and use that space AND the leftover of Timon's parking lot for a new land.
    Many of Bug's Land's attractions are now made redundant due to the opening of Cars Land and other nearby attractions:

Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies vs. Luigi's Flying Tires

Francis' Ladybug Boogie vs. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

Heimlich's Chew Chew Train vs. Red Car Trolley

Flik's Flyers vs. Golden Zephyr

Disney has made the rides in Bug's Land redundant by building simiar rides nearby. What may happen is that once Carsland opens, ridership in Bug's Land will go down and it will give Disney a good reason and a good chance to gut it out the entire Bug's Land and combine that space with the leftover space at Timon's lot to create a new land:

At least, that's what I wish will happen ;-)
    Last edited by philip; 06-15-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    I am the picture guy---A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Heimlich's Chew Chew Train vs. Red Car Trolley
    I think this comparison is stretching it a bit. That would be like compairing Casey Jr. to the Disneyland RR.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post

As to general balance of lands - I count 6:

1. Buena Vista Street
    2. Carsland
    3. Hollywoodland
    4. a bugs land
    5. Paradise Pier
    6. The Golden State
    -Which consists of the sublands:
    +Condor Flats
    +Grizzly Peak
    +Pacific Wharf
    +Napa Wineries & associated remainder of central 'Golden State' area.
    You can choose to count only six lands, but as of today the 15th, Disneyland updated their lands apart of the expansion, with Golden State being divided into 3 seperate lands, Grizzly Peak, Condor Flats, and Pacific Wharf. Here is a link to it on the DL website.
    Land Descriptions Disney California Adventure Park | Disneyland Resort
    New Map Maps | Disneyland Resort

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast