Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: New Walt and Mickey Statue on Buena Vista Street Unveiled

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Really? Has there ever been vandalization of Roy's statue in WDW? That one is ground level on a bench and as far as I'm aware hasnt ever been messed with.

Sounds like some people are calling the sky is falling prematurely.
    "Nobody bothers the statue of Roy at WDW, therefore nobody will bother the statue of Walt at DCA" ignores the fact that, as ManaByte points out, there's a segment of DLR's clientele that doesn't exist at WDW. Also, there's a difference between a statue of Roy (a lot of people don't know him on sight) and Walt & Mickey.

"Sky is falling?" Hardly. Wait & watch as the pix get posted in the coming months -- no doubt many, of necessity, on sites other than this!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^well as others have pointed out....one people can drink in DCA...and too there are Apers....I think it won't be as big as a deal as i first thought but...still anything is possible with the internet age

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As ManaByte points out, there's a segment of DLR's clientele that doesn't exist at WDW.

Also, there's a difference between a statue of Roy (a lot of people won't know who he is) and Walt & Mickey.

"Sky is falling?" Nope. Just wait & watch as the pix get posted -- many, of necessity, on sites other than this!
    Oh big deal. It's not like there isn't a ton of pictures taken of the DL partners statue from a certain angle using Mickey's nose to "enhance" Walt. Not very dignified there.

Of course there will be losers who do something inappropriate with this statue and post it on twitter or facebook. It always says more about the person than Disney.

I think more often though it will be a hugely popular picture spot with the guests. And more iconic of Disney than some oversized letter.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Oh big deal. It's not like there isn't a ton of pictures taken of the DL partners statue from a certain angle using Mickey's nose to "enhance" Walt. Not very dignified there.
    Nope -- the accessibility of the DL partners statue is completely different from that of the DCA statue. ManaByte called it on the nose: for some people, the easy accessibility of the Walt statue is going to be just too tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Of course there will be losers who do something inappropriate with this statue and post it on twitter or facebook. It always says more about the person than Disney.
    Actually it says something about both. After years of experience with Flash Mountain (and the other things that go on in the Parks), it should be a no-brainer for Disney to predict what will happen to the DCA Walt statue.

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

If it's such a 'concern' - simply station a CM there all the time to answer questions and moderate any lines.

It's not like its going to cost Disney much - they station CMs for Q&A like this all over... just move one of those to the statue and problem solved.

The CM can even serve as a knowledge guide about the statue itself and the landmarks of BVS.

Toontown has lots of ground level props.. and toontown hasn't become the viral internet topic for inappropriate photos.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Minion

This thread cracks me up. There are so many things you can take pictures of climb on and do whatever at the resort. And I can guarentee you that innapproiate pictures are taken of them. We just don't see it. When things like this happen on this site it is removed immediately so it isn't glorified. This is the policy of a lot of sites I would imagine when something questionable is posted it's taken down.

The fact that alcohol sales are in the same park is so irrellevant it's comical. I can buy alcohol anywhere in life and walk into Disneyland it doesn't make me want to innapropiately take a picture with Walt and Mickey. The San Francisco Giants have statues you can take pictures with and they seem to do ok with all the booze that is present at baseball games. As others have stated there will be a CM near I am sure to help out anyways.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I guess time will tell, and the cream will either rise to the top or it will sour and smell up the place.

Nope -- the accessibility of the DL partners statue is completely different from that of the DCA statue. ManaByte called it on the nose: for some people, the easy accessibility of the Walt statue is going to be just too tempting.

Actually it says something about both. After years of experience with Flash Mountain (and the other things that go on in the Parks), it should be a no-brainer for Disney to predict what will happen to the DCA Walt statue.
    It's just not a big deal. The flash mountain thing only seemed to get out of hand because you can't post a cast member there to prevent it from happening. And when you boot a person out for misbehavior, it tends to curb itself. It happens all over the park and this statue is going to be no different. Like was said, if it starts to be a problem, post a cast member or photographer.

I don't see any reason to blame Disney for making accessible for picture taking. I think it's exactly what they want.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Jeez are we spoiled or what?

Just because it's not on a pedestal and surrounded by a planter doesn't mean it's going to get defecated on immediately. The statue will be fine. I agree that the human race is awful, but like others have already stated there are multiple (in DL and WDW) statues that are ground level that are a-ok. This won't be any different. Alcohol being served in the park isn't a valid factor here, so let's stop making excuses for how stupid people are. The Company has ways of stopping belligerent drunks before they make too much of a scene so no issue there.

On a side note the statue looks great and I am excited to see it in person.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Alcohol being served in the park isn't a valid factor here, so let's stop making excuses for how stupid people are.
    Stupid people at the DLR don't need booze or excuses -- as the 874 posts of the idiotic people tricks at the DLR thread demonstrate, they do just fine acting stupidly on their own!

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    The Company has ways of stopping belligerent drunks before they make too much of a scene so no issue there.
    Oh, you mean like how they stopped that belligerent drunk at the Tower of Terror back in February?
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-14-2012 at 12:03 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    This thread cracks me up. There are so many things you can take pictures of climb on and do whatever at the resort.

The fact that alcohol sales are in the same park is so irrellevant it's comical. I can buy alcohol anywhere in life and walk into Disneyland it doesn't make me want to innapropiately take a picture with Walt and Mickey.

Agree 100%.

---------- Post added 06-14-2012 at 01:03 PM ----------

Oh, you mean like how they stopped that belligerent drunk at the Tower of Terrorback in February?
    I wonder how often Disney security does their job well. Probably most of the time, since this was only ONE, isolated incident from several months ago! Good job, security!
    Last edited by brenden; 06-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.

• "I Break Things"

Meh I see it as a non issue. The Bust is a bad comparison as it doesn't get even a fraction of the amount of public exposure this statue will get. Roy's statue is a more appropriate comparison but again it's a different crowd/atmosphere. I have seen examples of inappropriate photos with Roy/Minnie. I've even seen a disturbing photo of Mr Toad in Toad Hall... and a CM is stationed right across from it operating the ride. That is why the placement of this statue concerns some members. There is a reason the Partner's Statue is in the middle of a planter and no accessible. A "high five" would be a tame photo compared to the minds of some of the AP's.

It really boils down to embarrassment more then vandalism. I'm sure it will get it's share of gum, same as all the mini statues near the partner's statue (also to some degree Roy at WDW)... but mostly it will be inappropriate photos. Yes Disney could station a CM at Walt, but how long will that last? Either way I don't see this becoming a "trending" issue on Youtube or on Twitter.

If it does become a problem, Disney will likely throw money at it. They'll renew the staffing at first, but if resurfaces again after the staffing is phased out they'll just stuff it in a planter. It's a sad commentary on the lack of respect within our society.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• U. B. Bold

The statue is bronze, a sturdy material that ages to a lovely patina and cleans-up rather easily. I'm pretty sure rude photos can't harm it, and unless some maniac shows up with a cutting torch, an occasional wad of gum might be the worst problem it will face.

Some people will always do dumb, rude things, and the really dumb ones will take pictures of themselves doing dumb, rude things. Their actions are no reflection on Disney, only on their own complete lack of class.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    I wonder how often Disney security does their job well. Probably most of the time, since this was only ONE, isolated incident from several months ago!
    The one incident that got caught on video, you mean. I'm not criticizing Disney security -- they do a great job considering the minimal staffing levels that corporate provides them. But let's not kid ourselves, there are a lot more incidents than what makes it to YouTube, or for that matter what gets reported on Disney fan forums.

Techskip has it right -- this will be less about vandalism and more about inappropriate pix and videos on the internet. And yes, Disney will flail around with half-measures until they do what they should have done in the first place: place it where people can see it but not reach it.

- Neil Gabler

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

The statue looks fantastic...a wonderful tribute to a man who was about to make a whole lotta Hollywood history...a man who was about to bring laughter, joy, love, happiness, and hope into the lives of millions upon millions around the entire world...

Walt Disney truly lived a life worth celebrating...and he surely left this world a much better place than it was before he arrived.

He was a real human being...who dedicated his life to bringing happiness to others. He was a storyteller...a dreamer...and a doer. He had a drive that few have equaled. If he believed a thing, he believed in it all the way.

One thing that Walt Disney believed in was people. He believed in the family. He believed in the things that were good and honest and true...and he believed in the pursuit of happiness. Making dreams come true.

There has been a lotta talk on this thread about how bad people can be...how stupid...
    how evil.

Well, it's true. There are young folks growin' up these days without any guidance... without any concept of right and wrong...without common sense. Trouble just seems to follow them around...they dedicate their entire lives to causing it and being in the middle of it most of the time. The quality of their existence is kinda sad when you think about it.

They are making all the wrong choices...and their lives will reflect that.

So...we built a statue to Walt and Mickey. Why? Because they, both, deserve a statue...for the happiness, the joy, the wonder, the magic, the hopes and dreams they brought into our world.

It isn't likely that we will be building a statue to the individuals we've been discussing on this thread. We can only hope that they might wonder why people are celebrating the lifetime of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. Now, that may never happen, of course...but, does that mean we should not recognize Walt and Mickey out of fear of what people who make the wrong choices in life might do? No...no...it doesn't. This statue represents someone who made many, many dreams come true...someone whose lifetime deserves to be celebrated, studied, admired...

I tend to see the young ones posing in front of this statue asking, "Daddy, who was that man with Mickey Mouse?" Let the learning...and the celebrating begin...

And, let's just say a prayer for those who seem to be having problems making the right choices in life...

Their choices will have an impact on the quality...or lack of quality...of their entire lifetimes. They have some hard, hard lessons ahead of them...

Twas John Wayne who said, "There's right and there's wrong. You've got to do one or the other... You do the one and you are living...you do the other and you may be walking around, but you are as dead as a beaver hat."

It's all about choices... Let's celebrate the wonderful choices that led to the incredible legacy of a man named Walt Disney. That's what this statue is all about...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast