Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: New Walt and Mickey Statue on Buena Vista Street Unveiled

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post

I wonder how often Disney security does their job well. Probably most of the time, since this was only ONE, isolated incident from several months ago! Good job, security!

FOR SURE! They are on it considering how long they've been open and how long they've been selling booze.

There are jackasses in this world, that may or may not come to a surprise to anyone. That is if they leave their basements, of course. That statue is gonna see the good and bad, but hopefully more good than bad.

• Senior Minion

As many others have said, "If the Disney Corporation really cared about Walt, they'd stop trying to market him as a brand and start adopting his values of innovation, creativity and showmanship."

To which I would add "if they really care about what that statue represents, they'll have a security CM nearby, every hour that DCA is open."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think it will last a couple of years before they have to put it in a planter. I can see the metal getting worn from everyone touching it.... not sure how long that takes to happen though.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I think it will last a couple of years before they have to put it in a planter. I can see the metal getting worn from everyone touching it.... not sure how long that takes to happen though.
    Hopefully it wont even come to that the Roy statue in WDW has people on it all the time and it still looks awesome. That park gets more traffic than DCA. I know some have mentioned that our crowds here are worse because they are more locals but I don't see that. There are as many rude people in Florida lol.

• Ryan

The statue represents where Walt started: the ground. He had to work his way from the ground up. But he started out as one of us: with a dream and a ton of perseverance.

It's okay, it is pretty sturdy, I don't think it will break.

And to those scared of inapropriate pictures, I think most people will treat it as a "character" not a piece of property. But to those who don't, it's fine. It won't keep me and others from going to DCA, in fact, it won't do any harm at all. It's just a picture, don't worry.

Wow - Nobody commented on Wild Ol' Dan's post? It made the most sense of anything on this thread!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It should be on a pedestal. Placing sculpture at ground level for people to walk around and interact with was not very common in 1923. The way it is placed is more of a modern art idea.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It should be on a pedestal. Placing sculpture at ground level for people to walk around and interact with was not very common in 1923. The way it is placed is more of a modern art idea.
    Despite what Disney says, it seems Buena Vista Street is not about creating a different time, just decorating some shops with Disney-based names and a 1920s-1930s style. Why else would some farm boy have a statue? Why suggest he traveled with a different cartoon than he actually traveled with? Buena Vista Street is just another franchise product, this time with shallow, consumer history.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    The metal getting worn was my only concern when I saw the statue on the ground. Not because it would be disrespected with people taking naughty photos with it.

I think it's an awesome concept that the statue is ground level. This is the ultimate photo op in DCA now.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Very nice! Can we get in and pose with them?

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• U. B. Bold

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Very nice! Can we get in and pose with them?
    Yes. And some people perceive this as a problem.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. Talking about asking for trouble! The things that people are going to do to that statue -- and with that statue -- and the photos they're going to post online, will get it moved to an inaccessible location faster than Disney Legal can email a memo. Meanwhile, they'll get to spend bucks having it watched by security, both remotely and on-site.
    That's the kind of line of thinking from nasayers which is simply rubbish.

There are numerous miniature bronze character statues around the hub that don't get defaced. There are two cigar indian statues that don't get defaced. And there's a statue of Roy and Minnie in Magic Kingdom Park that's at eye level (actaually, it's seating level) that doesn't get defaced. There's no credence whatseover to the notion that eye-level statues are asking for trouble. None.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Carthay View Post
    That's the kind of line of thinking from nasayers which is simply rubbish.

There are numerous miniature bronze character statues around the hub that don't get defaced. There are two cigar indian statues that don't get defaced. And there's a statue of Roy and Minnie in Magic Kingdom Park that's at eye level (actaually, it's seating level) that doesn't get defaced. There's no credence whatseover to the notion that eye-level statues are asking for trouble. None.
    The hub statues are small. People are more offended at the Indian statues and are too busy complaining about the racism at City Hall do even touch one. And most people don't know who Roy was. They just think of it as some old guy sitting with Minnie.

But Walt? With Mickey? Again, add in alcohol and drugs from Mad T Party and it's guests gone wild with the Walt Statue and their camera.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    The hub statues are small. People are more offended at the Indian statues and are too busy complaining about the racism at City Hall do even touch one. And most people don't know who Roy was. They just think of it as some old guy sitting with Minnie.

But Walt? With Mickey? Again, add in alcohol and drugs from Mad T Party and it's guests gone wild with the Walt Statue and their camera.
    Exactly right.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast