• Element of Laughter

My idea for a third gate. . .

I know I've discussed this in other threads, but I want to elaborate a little more on it, and maybe even get people's ideas. . . I came up with an idea for a 3rd gate in Anaheim, a park I call, for lack of a better name, "Disneyland Museum".

"Disneyland Museum" will be divided into 2 distinct areas(of which I have given temporary, placeholder names):

1. "Yesterland": This area will contain recreations of bygone and beloved attractions from Disneyland's past. Some suggestions include Adventure thru Inner Space, CircleVision theater(with a rotating selection of movies), Country Bear Jamboree(with 2 theaters, one showing the original show, the other showing Vacation Hoedown), Carousel of Progress(original NY World's Fair version), etc.

2. "The Disneyland That Never Was": This area will contain attractions that never made it past the "drawing board", and for whatever reason do not currently fit into the main park, whether due to size or theming. Suggestions include Western River Expedition(I know this was originally designed for Walt Disney World, but from what I've seen, that is an attraction that definitely needs and deserves to be built, even a continent's distance from where it was originally intended).

That's just my $0.02 on the matter. . . anyone else have suggestions?

​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: My idea for a third gate. . .

You may not be very fall off. Not for a theme park but for an actual museum that Disney has been thinking about building.

We'll likely be hearing more about this project in then not too distant future if Disney decides to move forward.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

^^Really? They've actually been thinking about doing this?

• formerly very helpful

Funny, I've long thought about a Disneyland museum like this. Hopefully in Burbank since it's much closer to where I live.

Sad to say, I don't think this idea would work for an actual theme park. It's appeal would be too narrow - mainly only for Disneyland afficianados, rather than the general public. Though, I'd personally love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Funny, I've long thought about a Disneyland museum like this. Hopefully in Burbank since it's much closer to where I live.

Sad to say, I don't think this idea would work for an actual theme park. It's appeal would be too narrow - mainly only for Disneyland afficianados, rather than the general public. Though, I'd personally love to see it.
    Well, if the OP's ideas came to fruition, it wouldn't be a static walk-through gallery type museum. It would contain rides, attractions and whatever else had been removed from D-Land (I'm guessing fully functional, right OP?), or never made it there in the first place. I think that broadens the appeal a little, no?

• Suspended

There is a reason why Disneyland took out all those rides.

Why would today's audience who loves rides like Buzz, Tower of Terror, and Test Track want to ride those archaic attractions. I know you must have an affinity for them but I highly doubt Disney would recreate those rides.

For a 3rd gate I'd like to see something totally original, something that changes the way people view a theme park.

• formerly very helpful

Sadly, I think you'd be right, as much as I'd personally love to reexperience all those classic attractions.

Maybe this museum could feature DisneyQuest-style virtual ridethroughs of some extinct and unrealized attractions. It wouldn't be the same as the real thing, but it would be better than nothing.

heres mine,

Disney- Marvel world
    areas 5
    1- New york: home to captain america
    2- Malbiu: Ironman
    3- asia: Hulk
    4- Asgaurd: like tomorowland but all centered to thor
    5- Shield headquarters.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

I'm sorry, but there's several reasons this wouldn't work.

1. No way to create expansion or growth - there's only so much old rides, attractions, things to say, etc.

2. As others have said, a lot of those things are gone for a reason. Either they weren't great, or were replaced by something better.

3. It goes against Walt's original philosophy of Progress and continual improvement. There's just something kind of depressing about bringing back old attractions, especially if you would rebuild them exactly as they were.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Element of Laughter

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    Well, if the OP's ideas came to fruition, it wouldn't be a static walk-through gallery type museum. It would contain rides, attractions and whatever else had been removed from D-Land (I'm guessing fully functional, right OP?), or never made it there in the first place. I think that broadens the appeal a little, no?
    Yes, these would be fully functional rides and attractions. Thank you for clarifying that point.
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

• Minion

I would love to see a permanent "History of Disneyland" exhibit, with a large model of the park, similar to the model at the Walt Disney Family Musuem, but larger and with everything operating in miniature. And you could watch videos about each of the former attractions. And additional side exhibits on attractions and lands that were never built. It would be great to have this somewhere in the park, in addition to a "Welcome to Disneyland" film, narrated by Walt himself, that runs every 15 minutes or so, with Walt introducing the basics of the park to newly arrived guests. As for building a whole functioning park of the old attractions... as much as I would LOVE to see the Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland and Adventure thru Inner Space rebuilt, I know that they won't happen. A third park in Anaheim will undoubtedly be themed to Marvel.