Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Voices of Liberty at Disneyland

I had the fortunate chance to catch a sneak preview today of the new Voices of Liberty. This was the very first performance of the Disneyland version of this group that has been a permanent fixture at Epcot for the past 30 years. They officially open this Friday. They do one song in front of the Opera House and then move inside the theater for a full show preceeding the Lincoln show. I believe their schedule will be Friday-Tuesdays all summer long. Be sure to catch this group. Anyone who knows anything about accapella group singing will understand that these arrangements are IMPOSSIBLE!

Name:  Voices.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  168.2 KB

• formerly very helpful

Re: The Voices of Liberty at Disneyland

Sounds great. I loved seeing and hearing them in Epcot. They're a welcome addition, as far as I'm concerned. Many people really overlook and underappreciate the entertainment at Disneyland. That's really a shame.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Congo Chris View Post
    I had the fortunate chance to catch a sneak preview today of the new Voices of Liberty. This was the very first performance of the Disneyland version of this group that has been a permanent fixture at Epcot for the past 30 years. They officially open this Friday. They do one song in front of the Opera House and then move inside the theater for a full show preceeding the Lincoln show. I believe their schedule will be Friday-Tuesdays all summer long. . .
    Thanks, Congo Chris!

We'll have to check them out. Love listening to acapella groups. Lincoln is a must see this trip so we'll have to time it for when they are singing.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Congo Chris View Post
    This was the very first performance of the Disneyland version of this group that has been a permanent fixture at Epcot for the past 30 years.
    Just a minor note. When announced on the disney parks blog that this show was coming to DL. A comment noted that it's not the one and only group. They haven't left Epcot only made anothe group for DL.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Just a minor note. When announced on the disney parks blog that this show was coming to DL. A comment noted that it's not the one and only group. They haven't left Epcot only made anothe group for DL.
    That's correct. This is an entirely new California group. Same arrangements, though, and they flew out a musical director from Florida to assemble and rehearse the group.

• former CM

Believe it or Not!
    Voices of Freedom Fun Facts: Part 1!
    Disney is providing VOFs with sleeping bags, and they are staking out different spots in Tarzan's Treehouse not already occupied. (The treehouse rooms & huts convert into bedrooms at night. One is rented to Farley the Fiddler, and another is used by Kirk Wall of Billy Hill & the Hillbillies. Tommy Kirk and Dean Jones lived there in the 70s.) Interestingly the Voices of Freedom competed against "The Voices of Tyranny" (from North Korea) and lost! The competition was held in Cuba. The Voices of Freedom performed at Chuck Norris' wedding. The Voices are so adept on Luigi's tires that they can knock other tires into Bugs Land and they do this while singing, "And I'm Proud to be an American!" Universal is creating a similar group, but with even better singers and twice as many members. In Liberty Square you can order Voices of Freedom Fries. The VoFs began as a British punk band, "Voices of Anarchy." The VoFs first album, "Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall!" contains just one single, "President Gorbachev, WE Must Insist that You Please Tear Down This Wall at Your Very Earliest Convenience!" sung in Polish, German, Russian, Latvian, Eastonian, Slovak, Slavic, Georgian, Uzbekian, and Freedonian. When ALL members contracted laryngitis lasting for four years, WDW did not call off their performances. Rather they just posed under a strobe light for the entire 48 months--many guests were just content to SEE the VoFs. Bill Maher lost four sponsors and almost lost his job when he criticized the VoFs. Keith Obermanm sings VoF songs when he is alone. Seal Team 6 blasts VoF tunes before their missions. An all-women's incarnation of the Voices of Freedom (Voices of Femdom), is looking for a new name.

Do you REALLY love the Voices of Freedom?
    Do you fantasize about replacing your alarm clock and being woken up by all 12 members wearing red, white & blue silk PJs surrounding your bed and singing/shouting, "America! [Heck] Yeah!" from Team Amerca? Yes? Then prove your love by adopting the Voices to stay in your home for a month.

In 2014, the Voices of Freedom will become the Voices of Mother Earth and will perform at a DAK show entitled, "Go Green, Clean & . . ." [That's all they've got thus far.]

Seriously though, I'm really looking forward to hearing the Voices of Freedom. There are so many gifted singers in L.A. & Orange County that I have high expectations.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-14-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: was missing a word

Definitely looks like a fine group of talented singers there. In fact, I actually know two of the singers who went to junior college with me.

Very proud to see them be a part of Voices of Liberty, and I really can't wait to see this group perform next week.

The girl in the green dress on the left is my friend!! We were so stoked for her when she got this job but sad that we wouldn't be able to travel down from Oregon this summer to see her since we have a baby coming in early August. Oh the good old days when we lived in SoCal. Thanks for posting this picture and your review Congo Chris! It made my day!!!

• I am not a Krusty Krab

interesting

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Believe it or Not!
    You!You win this thread!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• former CM

Here's a link Andy Castro added in his Voices of Liberty article today:
    Dateline Disneyland

OK, I've heard this group at EPCOT, I like them, and I look forward to hearing them at Disneyland this summer.

That said, they remind me of what a relative once told me about a cult-like religion, "They don't blink often enough." The Voices of Liberty are certainly unapologetically upbeat like some 80s Christian rock bands, or Up With People. I can hear them smiling while they sing, I fact I can hear Mary Lou Retton & Magic Johnson having a smile-off. A woman's voice floats above each song like a mawkish parody of Disney. I'd be entertained if they mentioned our early conflicts with the British then sang a Revolutionary War song as energetically as a Who song, or if they performed "Two Brothers" from The American Adventure, or "Old Man River." (Maybe not Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind," nor Ray Charles' "Georgia on My Mind," though I'd be all ears to hear what they did with those.) How about "America" from West Side Story, or "15 Miles on the Erie Canal"? [Please add better suggestions, especially if you're critical of mine. I'm rushed. ] The clip reminded me of the Simpsons 80s Superbowl half-time show parody, "Hurray for Everything!" It's sunny here in S. California, but this isn't central Florida. A little thoughtful darkness & reality would make their excellent, more-cheerful tunes something to be happier about. No light without darkness.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-14-2012 at 08:06 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I wish they were preforming for longer than just the summer season. I probably won't be down until September and I really wanted to see them live and not just on YouTube.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I wish they were preforming for longer than just the summer season. I probably won't be down until September and I really wanted to see them live and not just on YouTube.
    I was going to start using our new APs in the fall, but (despite my suggestions, jokes & comments), hearing the Voices of Liberty is one of the reasons I've decided we'll go back to Disneyland in August.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 06-14-2012 at 11:01 AM.

• Musical Fireman

I saw a few videos of the Voices of Liberty and they are the GREATEST better than other singers I have seen these days, they throw most Disney pop star shows out of the water. Shows like this are the true gem that differentiates Disney from say Universal quality shows, great themes and what I call "Land specific entertainment:.

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast