Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Wizard of Oz Land

Wasn't there originally supposed to be an Oz land because at the time Disney had rights to the books or something? And it technically already made it to the parks......in GMR,

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Plus you know Disney is running out of ideas for theme park lands when they decide to make lands from films they have yet to complete.
    It's not that they're running out of ideas. It's that they're unwilling, or afraid to try.

• Minion

They only want to make "safe bets," i.e., a hit film (Cars, The Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo) even if it's a non-Disney film (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) is a safe bet. A famous name (Michael Jackson, Johnny Depp) is a safe bet. But many of the now-classic Disneyland attractions were not based on anything external and were not safe bets. They are unwilling to take the risk now unless it tied to some name or title that has already been commercially successful and thus lowers the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They only want to make "safe bets," i.e., a hit film (Cars, The Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo) even if it's a non-Disney film (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) is a safe bet. A famous name (Michael Jackson, Johnny Depp) is a safe bet. But many of the now-classic Disneyland attractions were not based on anything external and were not safe bets. They are unwilling to take the risk now unless it tied to some name or title that has already been commercially successful and thus lowers the risk.
    What I wonder is, how can they be afraid of taking the risk? I sincerely doubt that one bad attraction would shut down the entire resort. (see: Innoventions.) Take the risk and if it bombs, it bombs. Move on.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Maybe...I just find Oz like Wonderland fun for a ride or two....but a whole land? No need for that much, maybe in a third park make a small subland..with Emerald City have a E ticket ride and maybe a small ride or two..with some restaurants and shops

But really nothing big like the size of Fantasyland

Talking Re: Wizard of Oz Land

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    Am I the only one that sees "Carsland" and thinks it says "Carlsbad"?
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it denos't mtater in waht oredr the ltetres in a wrod are, the olny iprnoatmt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
    ______
    Rachane

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it denos't mtater in waht oredr the ltetres in a wrod are, the olny iprnoatmt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
    Does anyone else have a headache?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Member of Baxter's Army

Will Pink Floyd be reuniting to create the area BGM?

• formerly very helpful

What I wonder is, how can they be afraid of taking the risk? I sincerely doubt that one bad attraction would shut down the entire resort. (see: Innoventions.) Take the risk and if it bombs, it bombs. Move on.
    I'm no business expert, so if someone knows more than me, let me know. My thinking is they have analysts who will look at all the numbers, and tell them how much money they made - or didn't make - based specifically on any particular attraction, shop, restaurant, whatever. They probably have expectations about how much money that should be. No, I don't think any one attraction will put them out of business. What do they have to lose? They people responsible for proposing, designing, etc. those attractions probably have a job to lose. There are also stock holders to answer up to. If I felt that my job was at stake, I don't know how many risks I'd take.

It doesn't mean I like the trend they've taken with everything being based on a movie or character, but I understand how people can be worried. The highest up execs will just move on if it bombs. The guys lower down on the ladder will file for unemployment.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm no business expert, so if someone knows more than me, let me know. My thinking is they have analysts who will look at all the numbers, and tell them how much money they made - or didn't make - based specifically on any particular attraction, shop, restaurant, whatever. They probably have expectations about how much money that should be. No, I don't think any one attraction will put them out of business. What do they have to lose? They people responsible for proposing, designing, etc. those attractions probably have a job to lose. There are also stock holders to answer up to. If I felt that my job was at stake, I don't know how many risks I'd take.

It doesn't mean I like the trend they've taken with everything being based on a movie or character, but I understand how people can be worried. The highest up execs will just move on if it bombs. The guys lower down on the ladder will file for unemployment.
    I think your post is absolutely on target.

It's interesting to wonder, if the Disney Company of 1954 had shown the same creative timidity and refusal to risk a dime on anything other than a proven bet as the Disney Corporation of 2012, would Disneyland ever have been born -- much less be the world-wide hit that it became in the three decades before Eisger.

I think the answer to that question is pretty obvious.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

That's just it. If something bombs, disney will make sure no one hears of it, and they deny it to the very end. Why do you think there's no evidence of the hatbox ghost in the haunted mansion, even it's original molds are gone. It probably took them this long to admit it because they realize they can get money off it. Same thing with Hercules or Hunch Back....you never see merch for them because they didn't do to hot in the box office. I think they're playing it safe, because it's not that easy to get rid of a ride or a park in a few weeks.

• Minion

They are afraid of risks now because: (a) the stakes are very high now, (b) Disneyland has competition now, and (c) the cost of new attractions and new lands is very high now... $350 million for Radiator Springs Racers? That is a lot of money by most standards, and they don't want to put it at risk.

I want a new TL before this
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Jack of All Trades

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They are afraid of risks now because: (a) the stakes are very high now, (b) Disneyland has competition now, and (c) the cost of new attractions and new lands is very high now... $350 million for Radiator Springs Racers? That is a lot of money by most standards, and they don't want to put it at risk.
    Exactly!
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

Sorry if I sound out of the loop, but what is this Wizard of Oz prequel? I assume we're talking about something different than Wicked...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast