Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Wizard of Oz Land

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    The people responsible for proposing, designing, etc. those attractions probably have a job to lose. There are also stock holders to answer up to. If I felt that my job was at stake, I don't know how many risks I'd take.
    What people AND STOCKHOLDERS need to realize is that it's not advisable "to answer up to" stockholders. Companies are successful if they carry out their business in a manner that produces that success. When they do that, people will want to invest in that company. To "make the stockholders happy", companies need to continue with their successful strategies.

But, when stockholders try to apply pressure to make profits faster or change the successful strategies, companies can lose their focus and actually become less successful.

Stockholders who aren't satisfied with the way a company is being run should just cash out and look elsewhere for a more satisfying investment. But don't expect a company to cow-tow to their whims to the detriment of it's long term health.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

NO FLYING MONKEYS! Those things still freak me out.....

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Observer

im sorry.... didnt everyone complain about how the Original DCA didnt have enough Disney Character References ?...Golden Dreams.. Mulholland madness....Superstar Limos.... grizzly.. the whole park was non movie tie ins.. yes they were all off the shelf rides... but still...

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    Will Pink Floyd be reuniting to create the area BGM?
    please play music after the third roar

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Ryan

I think a ride would be great, but an Emerald City could compete with sight lines. The best bet is the outside of the attraction to be the farm where dorothy starts out and then the inside landing in Munchkin Land.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PozEmerald View Post
    im sorry.... didnt everyone complain about how the Original DCA didnt have enough Disney Character References ?...Golden Dreams.. Mulholland madness....Superstar Limos.... grizzly.. the whole park was non movie tie ins.. yes they were all off the shelf rides... but still...
    Some people certainly complained about not having enough Disney characters, doesn't mean they were entirely right. Any no, definitely not everyone had this complaint. I think a lot more people complained that it was cheap, tacky and off-the-shelf then about the lack of Disney characters. Disney really needs to be careful about the balance between original and movie based attractions in its parks or it will lose a big part of its clientele who love theme parks and don't necessarily care about any of Disney's movies. That's not a small group, that's millions of people. This includes a huge portion of DL's non-parent adult visitors. If all that people cared about was Disney characters then why are rides like Pooh, arguably Disney's second most iconic character, so unpopular?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I love Wizard of Oz, but I just can't imagine it in Disneyland. If done well, it could look really nice but I still can't imagine it in Disneyland. I just think that it would belong better in Universal.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Fantasyland is a 1955 original and is entirely based on movies.
    I think that Fantasyland is more appropriate for attractions based upon movies, as it is the land of "Fantasy." You've got a lot of the Disney classics represented with charming little rides, but in lands like NOS, Frontierland, Tomorrowland, Adventureland, some of the best rides aren't the ones that were based on movies . . . (Splash I guess being an exception, but the "critters" story of br'er fox and bear is pretty easy to understand without having seen the film.) I don't think that Pooh fits well in Critter Country, and think he deserves a better ride in Fantasyland at some point.

I think

• The Lucky Rabbit

I am really holding my breath on this one for a few reasons. The first is does anyone remember Disney's last attempt in the Oz universe "Return To Oz" (1985)? I mean there are some scary and innovative parts to the film, but the film overall was a disaster.

The first issue with Return to Oz is Disney tried making it a quasi-sequel. It was not a direct sequel from Judy Garlands 1939 version, but they did pay royalties to MGM for some of their specific content like the Ruby Slippers (no they were not in the original story) and having additional character be both "real" people in our world and then characters in Oz. The second is major budget cuts made the main trio Scarecrow, Lion, and Tins-man's parts into really bad cameos.

The second is Disney has had a history of getting Disney attractions planned in case a movie is a success. The biggest example has to be the entire Discovery Bay Disneyland expansion (which is partly Critter Country and behind the berm that other's speculate an expansion will take place in the future). This would have been based on Disney movies like "The Island at the Top of the World", "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea", and other Jules Verne novels. Sadly "The Island at the Top of the World" tanked and so did Discovery Bay (which had a full scale model constructed by Imagineering). A more modern example is before the Finding Nemo subs, had Atlantis been highly successful there were plans to put an Atlantis attraction in the submarine lagoon. There were even feint rumors that had John Carter been successful we may have seen him in some incarnation in Tommorowland.

Third third is Disney does not have sole rights to the Wizard of Oz franchise. This year was the battle of Snow White films, soon we will have a battle of Wizard of Oz films.

1. Disney's - Oz, The Great and Powerful (Mar 2013)
    2. Warner Brothers (New Line Cinemas) - The Wizard Of Oz (2013)
    3. Universal Studios - Wicked (2014) - [don't know if it's more book or musical based]

Warner Brothers who own's New Line and the MGM rights wants to reboot Wizard of Oz to start a new franchise now that Twilight is over for the time being. Anyway when there are so many movies competing with a similar target it's difficult to be an overwhelming success that would trigger attractions, especially before Marvel (from the Avengers) is added to the park. Also keep in mind that Disney's "Oz, The Great and Powerful" is a prequel to the original Baum Wizard of Oz book. It has nothing to do with any of the movies and it about the story of literally the Wizard of Oz character, pre-Dorothy.

I say lets see how the movie does before we put to much speculation into an Oz-land, especially one set in a new Oz Universe.
    "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing ... That it was all started by a mouse ... and inspired by a rabbit."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm no business expert, so if someone knows more than me, let me know. My thinking is they have analysts who will look at all the numbers, and tell them how much money they made - or didn't make - based specifically on any particular attraction, shop, restaurant, whatever.
    Well . . . when Animal Kingdom needed a new ride, they decided upon a thrill ride, Expedition Everest, to bring guests into the park. It worked, but as DCA proves, ideas for what attracts guests can flop. Disneyland has had attractions removed, such as Country Bear Jamboree, which was replaced with an attraction that is arguably less popular from a certain point of view. The decisions to remove rides aren't necessarily made by analysts as you have daily ridership numbers for all the attractions.

They pushed Pooh as this is an active franchise with a lot of merchandise sold, as a replacement for CBJ. However, given how disliked the ride is by some, did they damage the brand? Are Pooh's flying off the shelf any faster with the ride? Disneyland's Pooh is the worst version of the this ride, Tokyo being the best, but the suits could say it is a success as Pooh stil flies off the shelves. Maybe the Pooh merchandise would still fly off the shelves, so there's a lot of politics involved. Plus you have the Pooh meet and greet which is a success.

IMO When people think of The Wizard of OZ, they think of Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion, the Wizard, Munchkins, Emerald City, and the Wicked Witch. All of them would have to be included in Ozland or it will not work. Even if they briefly appear in the film, this movie version of those mentioned must be in the land.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Despite how well the prequel film does, I think all generations will associate better with the original 1939 MGM musical. If the land has nothing to do with that movie, it's not worth building, in my mind.

Plus you know Disney is running out of ideas for theme park lands when they decide to make lands from films they have yet to complete.
    Good rational point. Dorothy and Toto wouldn't even be a part of it. Who's gonna oil the Tinman, wake the Cowardly Lion, and save the Scarecrow when the witch sets him on fire?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    What I wonder is, how can they be afraid of taking the risk? I sincerely doubt that one bad attraction would shut down the entire resort. (see: Innoventions.) Take the risk and if it bombs, it bombs. Move on.
    Innovations makes money. (Sponsors)
    A 150 million dollar E-ticket that bombs is 150 million plus dollars down the drain.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Minion

ORWEN: I'm all for a Land of Oz to be added to Disneyland. It's a natural fit. They could use the characters from both Return to Oz AND this new Oz movie because they would include all the main characters from the first two Oz books. Disney's version of Dorothy Gale would have to be based on the Fairuza Balk look, though, instead of Judy Garland. But that's fine with me. The Disney version of Oz should be represented instead of M-G-M's version. The Emerald City would have to look like the Disney version from one of it's two Oz movies, instead of looking like the M-G-M version. So I hope this second Oz movie by Disney is a big hit.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Innovations makes money. (Sponsors)
    A 150 million dollar E-ticket that bombs is 150 million plus dollars down the drain.
    So, is it better to keep an attraction that's profitable for Disney (Innoventions) but unpopular with the guests, or go for an attraction that's popular with guests but doesn't generate any profits of it's own (any unsponsored attraction).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast