Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

Re: Wizard of Oz Land

Here's my opinion on the matter --

Lately, I've been noticing the push Disney has had for focusing all of their attractions and lands on a Disney/Pixar film that has gone crazy at the box office. While I understand this, and I respect them for keeping to Walt Disney's original intention for the park, I feel that Disney needs to be publicly displaying more concepts for future creations that rely on their own unique theme. As we all know, many familiar and unfamiliar Disney movie enthusiasts equally enjoy attractions that are and aren't based around Disney films. I understand the need to keep everything as Disney-related as possible, but I feel that it's getting a tad bit overwhelming now, and something that is popular right now doesn't mean it will stay that way for a decade to come.

As for the Wizard of Oz Land, I really truly hope this happens. It would be wonderful if they could transform Disneyland's Big Thunder Ranch into the circus. It doesn't need to be themed around the upcoming movie, but rather be more of a nod to the new film. Detailed and precision is what could make this land visually spectacular. I could definitely see some larger-than-life Kansas circus action going on in an area that is so unused. As far as attractions go I'm not sure. Something thrilling would be preferred as both parks now have their fair share of mild and kid-friendly attractions. It would be great if the larger E-ticket attraction was in "Oz" (near the back of the land) with the Kansas circus near the front of the area. But, I'm not fully up to date on how much area is in the 'ole ranch.

-Dillamond

• 2 shots on the rocks.

I'll take a well executed Oz themed land on the caliber of Carsland over a cowboy and indian ride any day. Please-o-please, no more Depp in the parks.
    There is so much that could be done with this one movie, I just don't see that with Lone Ranger.

• film975

That's the problem I see right there. Basing attractions on successful films and/or franchises. They don't always have to be successful in order to provide the best experience in the parks. Splash Mountain is a great example of that. What I could see happening with Oz the Great and Powerful is a preview event in the Festival Arena. Very much like the one they had for On Stranger Tides...which was very well done.

JMHO..... but the MGM Classic "Oz" kind of ruins the whole concept of an "Oz Land" for me....... Too many people wholly associate "Oz" w/ Judy Garland and the MGM movie whose likenesses are owned by MGM and unlikely to be licensed to Disney. I understand the characters from Baum's books are available - but I'd really prefer Disney NOT try to incorporate an Oz Land into the DLR....

Just my two cents......

• Ryan

Yeah, I agree with you on some part. But actually a LOT of people think the MGM classic is Disney or at least Disney worthy. They also think that Oz and everything to do with it is pretty much Disney. I think this is because it is such a Disney-esque story of fantasy.

• Artistic integrity

My vote - Enough with tacking on even more mini-me lands onto the already compact 85 acre Disneyland, and focus and giving Frontierland back some of it's old WIDE OPEN FRONTIER ... that it use to have, with the 7 acre Natures Wonderland Mine Trains. You felt you were in the wide expansive wild frontier when the mine train excursion covered a lot of ground. I'd like to see a new attraction that touches on the Rivers of America (like the Mine Train did) ... and dissapear into the back of the land ... as if the old western frontier continues on. Rather than the Rivers of America work as a thin "border" into a different themed land.

With lots of land in WDW ... if the co. is gun-ho on such an idea .... do it in Florida.

• I'm a Lutheran

Their best bet would be to have the Kansas circus in Big Thunder Ranch and possibly even move Dumbo there and have Casey Jr. move its station (finally making Circusland a reality in some way or form). Then a hot air balloon ride would take guests from the relative safety of a frontier circus to the Land of Oz held beyond the berm. That'd be pretty cool.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• failure for lunch

If Oz is ever going to actually have a home, put it in DHS where it belongs.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    Their best bet would be to have the Kansas circus in Big Thunder Ranch and possibly even move Dumbo there and have Casey Jr. move its station (finally making Circusland a reality in some way or form). Then a hot air balloon ride would take guests from the relative safety of a frontier circus to the Land of Oz held beyond the berm. That'd be pretty cool.
    Sorry, I can't get on board w/ a "Circus Land" in Disneyland....... Ideas like the Circus are a fading memory in American society. Most people probably associate the "Circus" nowadays w/ the Cirque Du Soleil in Vegas....... Additionally, in our PC world, the idea of using animals as "trained" performers is increasingly unacceptable to many. Disney has Dumbo and Casey Jr.......

That's about enough an oblique reference to the circus that the DLR needs given it's land constraints.....

II don't like the "Oz", the "Lone Ranger", or even the "holy" WRE ideas either, although I would love an expansion of Frontierland where BTR currently sits - I don't know what I want there, just not "Oz" or "Ranger" or even WRE....... (we already have two flume rides on the West side of the park.....)

• Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    man oh man am I tired of CGI... despite my love for Raimi and Franco, I will have to pass on this one.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    man oh man am I tired of CGI... despite my love for Raimi and Franco, I will have to pass on this one.
    I am tired of CGI too, but it is where the film business is going. And luckily, the more it improves, we will be less and less able to tell what is real and what is not. Trust me, I would love to see an actually set of Oz, but it just isn't possible. Even now, it is crazy to see how far we have come since the groundbreaking Avatar. I was watching it the other day and I noticed how much it looked like a video game, still amazingly detailed, but some how a little bit off.

But that is where theme parks come in! To recreate these seemingly impossible places, for guests to visit and enjoy!

• Ryan

Name:  05.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  145.9 KB
    Name:  04.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  70.3 KBName:  03.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  99.7 KBName:  01.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  101.3 KB

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Simply gorgeous.

The black and white potion of the trailer looked great, though Oz looks way too much like wonderland. Like many people have been saying Judy Garlands Oz is what people will expect. I also feel the look of Garlands Oz to be much more Disney to me any way.

As the land goes I love the idea of entering through the circus in kansas and then ending up in Oz. Also most people are saying no more movie franchises in the park, but to me I feel like everything has been so pixar pixar pixar, that this Oz theme feels like a real breath of fresh air.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast