Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: Wizard of Oz Land

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    You mean, "John Carter from Oz"?.................

If it actually works and is entertaining, OK.... let's wait for the sequel to be a success before we start building attractions...... Aside from John Carter.... Tron was equally disappointing....... Considering that we're talking about the WDC here..... let's wait for a proper franchise before we expend the investment for an attraction......

Preview looks interesting, I'll w/hold judgement until the film comes out..... Done right, it looks promising...... by my original premise about the Classic MGM film holds true...... I'm not sure if "Oz" is something Disney can turn into a franchise......

If it's dark - Prisoner of Azkaban dark...... the series might have legs.......

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    man oh man am I tired of CGI... despite my love for Raimi and Franco, I will have to pass on this one.
    I absolutely agree with this, just compare Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The older movie actually looks more believable and realistic in almost every way. The fact of the matter is modern set design and miniature models are far better than CGI, only difference is they cost a lot more to produce. Many Star Wars fans would agree with this assessment as well since they turned the prequels into a CGI bonanza that made the movies look incredibly fake.

Last edited by Seawolf; 07-14-2012 at 03:48 AM.

• Future Animator

Well, an Oz-themed land certainly has the potential to look awesome, I'll give it that. But it really.. just doesn't seem to fit in Disneyland. And I agree with the sentiments about cramming the parks full of marketing for film franchises.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Man.....why can't we use sets anyone.....CGI is soo over used today

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    NO FLYING MONKEYS! Those things still freak me out.....
    Hey, I played a flying monkey in my 4th grade presentation of The Wizard of Oz! I accidentally pulled off the lions tail
    But, you're right HiddenMickeyBook, they are a bit freaky!

...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    man oh man am I tired of CGI... despite my love for Raimi and Franco, I will have to pass on this one.
    Actually besides the wide vistas of outside in the film is mostly live sets. Like Emerald city, and the forest, and the castle. They had a Q and A at Comic Con.

I would much rather see a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory exhibit. It could be like a fun house Even though the remake wasn't near as good as the original, it still has legs because it was first a children's book and used to be a good movie.

• And Dad was my hero.

The movie looks kinda cool, but I too am a Wizard of Oz purist in much the same way I am a Walt Disney purist.

That said I think the circus idea between frontierland and fantasyland would be lovely. Especially because it was one of Walt's original ideas.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

Do not want. I don't mind some attractions based on movies, but (like what others have said) there should be at least some balance. Cars Land should be the last land based on a franchise for the foreseeable future.

• Minion

ORDDU: Then, again, who's to have the last word on what's 'balanced'? Your idea of what's balanced could be very different from others.

ORWEN: Yeah, 'cause, we wouldn't mind it one little bit if EVERY attraction at the Disney theme parks was based on a Disney movie. It IS Disneyland, after all. We'd consider it unbalanced if there weren't MORE attractions at the park based on Disney movies. That's why we like going to the parks to begin with--to relive our favorite Disney movies through Disney attractions!

• formerly very helpful

If it happens, just make it good.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    Actually besides the wide vistas of outside in the film is mostly live sets. Like Emerald city, and the forest, and the castle. They had a Q and A at Comic Con.
    The Trailer shows me that too much is CGI from the start.....my god that tornado looks more fake then the one used in the original

This is why Nolan and Peter Jackson are some of the best directors..they may use some CGI but for the most part its all practical effects and sets....for me if Wonderland and this new OZ looked like how Middle Earth does (maybe some of its fake but still looks like it could be a real place)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    The Trailer shows me that too much is CGI from the start.....my god that tornado looks more fake then the one used in the original

This is why Nolan and Peter Jackson are some of the best directors..they may use some CGI but for the most part its all practical effects and sets....for me if Wonderland and this new OZ looked like how Middle Earth does (maybe some of its fake but still looks like it could be a real place)

The trailer only shows wide vistas of exterior shots. I'm talking about the inside and interior of these places will be live sets VS. Alice and wonderland where everything was CGI. Keep in mind CGI is practical and can allow you to do things and create huge places that otherwise would be virtually impossible. Its the way the industries heading as it is more practical to create a virtual world then to build one. Think of it as the last Harry Potter where Hogwarts Castle was CGI but the interior sets were real.

I just cannot and will not condone the existence of a themed land based on a single franchise in the original Disneyland park. New lands should not be based on films, but rather on what they were supposed to be - general themes of human experience and our physical world, with attractions placed in those lands based on whether or not they fit. If their plan is to create a whole Wizard-of-Oz themed Land, I'm afraid I don't think it's a good idea. A single attraction? If it was good, I could live with it.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    The trailer only shows wide vistas of exterior shots. I'm talking about the inside and interior of these places will be live sets VS. Alice and wonderland where everything was CGI. Keep in mind CGI is practical and can allow you to do things and create huge places that otherwise would be virtually impossible. Its the way the industries heading as it is more practical to create a virtual world then to build one. Think of it as the last Harry Potter where Hogwarts Castle was CGI but the interior sets were real.
    Yes and to me the last one while good was not as good as the two before it.....the last one used SOO much CGI over piratical sets (and models)

To me its like a ride....would Pirates be as good if it was screens showing you the adventure or physical sets?

I gave a great example of a movie that uses CGI but not overdone....The Lord of the Rings is on an Epic scale but still work's because it looks real and believable....I'm sure some of OZ will feel real but much of it looks....just so fake it takes away from it becoming a classic

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast