Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Ryan

Exclamation Wizard of Oz Land

The movie prequel coming next year apparently determines whether or not the Wizard is going into the parks. The new movie that takes place before Oz has inspired Imagineers to get their minds thinking about that space between Fantasyland and Frontierland. What would you like to see? Thoughts.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Wizard of Oz Land

sure why not? eh im ish mish about it. lets see how the movie turns out

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• HYDRA

First FIX tommarowland because if that is the future it is not looken to good

We already talked about it! Ozland somewhere on the disneyland resort thing
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    What would you like to see? Thoughts.
    I'd really like to see Disney give these movie franchise-based attractions a break, and restore the balance between marketeering and true imagineering. Carsland... Avatarland... Wizard of Oz Land... it's all the same idea as Universal Studio's "Ride the Movies" -- which was ripped off by Michael Eisner when he redefined Disneyland as "all about turning Movies into Rides." Where's the innovation and creativity that brought us Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion and so many other Disneyland originals?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Fantasyland is a 1955 original and is entirely based on movies.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    The list of attractions in pre-Eisner Disneyland (posted elsewhere) is a mix of movie-based vs. non movie-based attractions... with non movie-based attractions predominating.

The attractions that made Disneyland world-famous in its day (Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room , Mr. Lincoln, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Monorail, Submarines, Space Mountain) were not based on Disney movies. Today, virtually every new attraction or "upgrade" that Disney greenlights is a promotion for a movie.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Parking Lot > DCA

I'm rather opposed to it.

• Minion

Disney should be setting trends in popular culture, not just following trends. Wizard of Oz land is not a bad idea in itself, but I'd rather see the company return to original thinking. The Eisner era was defined by a lack of original thinking and originality in the parks. Everything was based on something external, usually something that had been a "hit." I'd like to see them make use of the imagination, creativity and originality that must be abundant inside the company, but is not being ultilized because all the big decisions reflect popular trends from outside the company.

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    It wasn't based on ONE movie -- it wasn't "Sleeping Beauty Land," or "Alice in WonderLAND."

A Tomorrowland that gets fixed, finally, will be MORE marketable, MORE meaningful, MORE important to Disney's overall brand than Cars Land ever will be.

Fix it, Bob. Please. It's genuinely a disaster.

• formerly very helpful

If this is dependent on the success of a movie, then based upon Disney's recent track record with movies based on pre-existing properties, I won't hold my breath. (Avengers not withstanding )

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The list of attractions in pre-Eisner Disneyland (posted elsewhere) is a mix of movie-based vs. non movie-based attractions... with non movie-based attractions predominating.

The attractions that made Disneyland world-famous in its day (Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room , Mr. Lincoln, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Monorail, Submarines, Space Mountain) were not based on Disney movies. Today, virtually every new attraction or "upgrade" that Disney greenlights is a promotion for a movie.
    Exactly. Where's the balance today? The closest Disney has come in recent years to shifting the scales was the removal of Mickey's head from CA Screamin'.

However, the balance tipped immediatley and violently back the other way as soon as they took non-character based rides (Orange Stinger, Mulholland Madness, Sun Wheel) and had to "Disneyfy" them by adding characters. In addition, they added the mermaid ride, and Cars Land (I won't even go into the Poppins bakery or the princess thing).

Something original would be a breath of fresh air, a little education mixed in with that would be the brass ring.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

While I agree that the originality has been lacking lately, I can relate to the idea that basing attractions off of movies is actually a good idea. It gives the guest something to relate to. I want to go to Carsland (am I the only one that sees "Carsland" and thinks it says "Carlsbad"?) because I love the movie and I love the nostalgia of the old Rte 66. If there had been no Cars movie, I would still want to go to there (nod to Liz Lemon) but I don't think I would be as attracted to it.

That said, I think a Wizard of Oz based attraction/land/anything would be a terrific waste of resources. As a few have mentioned, I would rather see the effor put into a re-imagining of Tomorrowland, but anything would be better than bringing WoO to the park...

• Mickey is not my Brother

The only concept I liked from that rumor was the Wild West Circus I think if only that was applied it would be an awesome fix to Frontierland if done correctly.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Despite how well the prequel film does, I think all generations will associate better with the original 1939 MGM musical. If the land has nothing to do with that movie, it's not worth building, in my mind.

Plus you know Disney is running out of ideas for theme park lands when they decide to make lands from films they have yet to complete.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast