Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Re: Matterhorn Opens

Glad to see it is open again. Have missed one of my favorite rides! Here's hoping it is all going well in October when we can come.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

So yeah, totally cramped. My mom, who is 5'4" rode in the front seat with her knees in her chest and complained. Myself at 5'10" and rather on the larger side...well, I rode in the 2nd seat and it took me a while to get out, since there is not an actual seat and you are basically sitting on the ground with your legs out straight in front of you on either side of the seat in front. So it took me longer than it should have to get my legs underneath me so I could stand up and get out. I preferred the old sleds for that reason. Also I can't imagine how someone any taller than me could ride comfortably. It took all the available leg room for me to fit and my knees were still up against the seat in front of me.

Much smoother ride though, and I like the new lighting effects.

• Dreams Do Come True!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I'm not quite sure what people on this board were expecting from this refurbishment? It looks great! The paint job alone takes a lot of time. I'm not sure if people were expecting a new yeti or what, but these small additions make it great. The thing is, Matterhorn was already a great attraction and really didn't need anything additional. The yeti is fine how he is. I'm sure if they changed it drastically people would have the exact opposite reaction on this board that they messed with a classic. These boards confuse me, but I guess you can't please everyone.
    Faith in humanity restored

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

Here's a pic I took on Thurs. Sorry for being blurry and upside down. I was in a hurry and only meant to send this to a friend not use it on a site. I didn't like that I kept banging my elbows on the hard plastic seats. It seems that while the sled wheels now perfectly hug the track, it's now a bumpy ride instead of a jerky one because you now feel every imperfection in the old track.

Name:  photo-3.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  31.9 KB

• Greetings, Program!

Plusses:
    Same great ride. Enhanced sound and lighting effects. Mountain looks GREAT at night.

Minuses:
    The new bobsleds SUCK of you're 5'7 or taller. Greatly reduced legroom.
    Adios to the greatest "date-ride" in the history of the park. No more hugging your sweetie on the Matterhorn.
    Awesome opportunity to upgrade 'Harold' is lost. Same stiff animatron from the 70's.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Minion

I thought Harold was great. He moved and scared me just as he is supposed to. The new cars are fine. I am 5'9" and didn't have issues. My taller friends (5'11") didn't mention being uncomfortable. We aren't the epitome of height, but if you've got the flexibility to bend your knees while you sit down, then you should be mostly okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I thought Harold was great. He moved and scared me just as he is supposed to. The new cars are fine. I am 5'9" and didn't have issues. My taller friends (5'11") didn't mention being uncomfortable. We aren't the epitome of height, but if you've got the flexibility to bend your knees while you sit down, then you should be mostly okay.
    These new ride vehicles sound like a bad idea. With the ever growing populations we need more room not less.
    I can't imagine this being acceptable since there will be many people who can no longer ride this attraction due to these vehicle changes. I hope they kept the old bobsleds if they decide to revert back to them.

Can Jon Lasseter fit in the new bobsled?

I sat in seat #3 yesterday and thought the ride was just as bumpy, but today I rode in #5 and found that I had more leg room and that the ride seemed smoother (both times on the Tomorrowland side). I also noticed that #1 and #4 actually have raised seats.

I believe I have read that the only way to fix the bumpiness of the ride is to uncouple the sleds and ride as a single bobsled, as originally intended. Since that will decrease ride capacity, it won't happen any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    So yeah, totally cramped. My mom, who is 5'4" rode in the front seat with her knees in her chest and complained. Myself at 5'10" and rather on the larger side...well, I rode in the 2nd seat and it took me a while to get out, since there is not an actual seat and you are basically sitting on the ground with your legs out straight in front of you on either side of the seat in front. So it took me longer than it should have to get my legs underneath me so I could stand up and get out. I preferred the old sleds for that reason. Also I can't imagine how someone any taller than me could ride comfortably. It took all the available leg room for me to fit and my knees were still up against the seat in front of me.

Much smoother ride though, and I like the new lighting effects.
    Just rode it yesterday. I am 6'2 and wow was that cramped. I sat in the middle and was uncomfortable the entire time. Very disappointed in that.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    I sat in seat #3 yesterday and thought the ride was just as bumpy, but today I rode in #5 and found that I had more leg room and that the ride seemed smoother (both times on the Tomorrowland side). I also noticed that #1 and #4 actually have raised seats.

I believe I have read that the only way to fix the bumpiness of the ride is to uncouple the sleds and ride as a single bobsled, as originally intended. Since that will decrease ride capacity, it won't happen any time soon.
    Or change the track! And that will not be happening any time soon either. If the trains were uncoupled, they would have to go back to the shop to get back bumpers placed on the front sleds (along with other things I am sure).

Anyway, I think there is some truth to the rumor that the aesthetics of the sleds were changed to accomodate the upcoming movie. The project is in the works now. And since the sled is an important part of the show (more so than POTC), it needs to be present at DL for a little while in this sleek new look... no matter how uncomfortable it may be for some longer legged people.

This rumor also says that the new "Harold" will appear after the movie in DL. For everyone having issues with no-new-Harold, I am surprized you didn't think of this! In no way will they show you the uber cool looks of a new Snow Man before the movie is released. That is just not how it is done. Now that you are in on the rumor (in case you haven't been following it online), please stop complaining... Harold the Second is on his way.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

I'm 6'5 and matterhorn really sucked for me. My feet are too big to fit into the grooves. When I got out the cast member told me next time to do seat 2 or seat 5.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    These new ride vehicles sound like a bad idea. With the ever growing populations we need more room not less.
    I can't imagine this being acceptable since there will be many people who can no longer ride this attraction due to these vehicle changes. I hope they kept the old bobsleds if they decide to revert back to them.

Can Jon Lasseter fit in the new bobsled?
    I wonder, though, if the cars were made with even more room, if the minimum rider height would have to increase as well. I felt it was a good fit for me and it was actually fun to be in such an unusual position for a ride. I feel that if we can't have the old seating arrangements, at least the toboggan-ride aspect is still there in body position.

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Or change the track! And that will not be happening any time soon either. If the trains were uncoupled, they would have to go back to the shop to get back bumpers placed on the front sleds (along with other things I am sure).

Anyway, I think there is some truth to the rumor that the aesthetics of the sleds were changed to accomodate the upcoming movie. The project is in the works now. And since the sled is an important part of the show (more so than POTC), it needs to be present at DL for a little while in this sleek new look... no matter how uncomfortable it may be for some longer legged people.

This rumor also says that the new "Harold" will appear after the movie in DL. For everyone having issues with no-new-Harold, I am surprized you didn't think of this! In no way will they show you the uber cool looks of a new Snow Man before the movie is released. That is just not how it is done. Now that you are in on the rumor (in case you haven't been following it online), please stop complaining... Harold the Second is on his way.
    Is Harold the Second a new look for the yeti? If so I will be disappointed.I think people want new Harold as in new AA's with better movements not appearances.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^that's all i want is him to move like he's real....and make his face move too when he screams

Keep the look the same..just make him more life like

Maybe the whole idea behind the new sleds is to make a shorter line.

Even when the line wrapped around the entire mountain, it was never really that long a wait (never became Space or Splash Mountain length waits) but now, if they make the coaster less comfortable, and they remove the ability for younger riders to ride, and remove the ability for couples to ride together, or for a parent to ride hugging their child, then overall the Matterhorn will become less appealing, and less people will want to ride, resulting in shorter lines.

Honestly, this is the ONLY reason I can find for the sled changes, because just raising the average rider per sled from 4.8 to 5.6 simply could not be it.

Unfortunately, because of how safety laws are, this mistake can not be undone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast