Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How long do you guys think Luigi's Flying Tires is going to last?

I went on LFT for the press preview yesterday, and found it very hard to move around and navigate. Like most people say, it probably takes a few tries before you can get the hang of it. But the loading and capacity of that ride is probably the worst of any Disney ride. I mean, the time between when I was seated and buckled in and when we started moving was probably about 5 minutes, plus about a minute and a half of moving time, followed by a minute and a half to get off. Now I'm not bashing LFT, I think it's pretty unique experience for those who didn't get to experience the Flying Saucers and could be really fun ride once you can get the hang of it, but do you think it's here to stay or will it eventually be removed/replaced? A really nice cast member (one of this nicest I've met) and I were chatting about the new DCA (we both like Mulholland Madness and the Sun Wheel over their new counterparts) and he said that they spent about 1.1 million on the tire vehicles alone, but that he thinks they are going to have safety/liability issues considering that large step over the inflated part into the tires after seeing a some people tripping when getting in. Your thoughts?

• Minion

Re: How long do you guys think Luigi's Flying Tires is going to last?

Until they bust a flat?

• HYDRA

Tommarow is its last day

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    (we both like Mulholland Madness and the Sun Wheel over their new counterparts)
    Other than the Sun vs Mickey isn't Mickey's Fun Wheel & the Sun Wheel exactly the same thing.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    Other than the Sun vs Mickey isn't Mickey's Fun Wheel & the Sun Wheel exactly the same thing.
    Don't forget the paint! I think the tires will last for some time
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

I would say it probably needs some redesign as far as the ride vehicles are concerned because I completely forgot about not stepping on the tire portion and had to remind myself mid step, nearly ate it very badly. As far as the ride is concerned, I enjoyed it most out of the three.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Banned User

Forever, hopefully.

• Please pull the yellowtab

I think LFT will be here to stay. I got a chance to experience Luigi's 3 times and hung around the attraction afterwards to watch others try it out and don't remember seeing any bored faces. A lot of smiling faces all around.

I believe the overwhelming number of posts which describe LFT as a poor attraction are overshadowing a lot of positive reactions from guests who don't post on MiceChat.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    I believe the overwhelming number of posts which describe LFT as a poor attraction are overshadowing a lot of positive reactions from guests who don't post on MiceChat.
    Don't get me wrong, I thought it was really fun and lots of people were having a great time (including myself). I was thinking more of the safety issue with the step. I think a complete vehicle redesign making it easier to maneuver and to board would really improve LFT. I don't think it's going to be long before someone trips and hurts themselves while boarding, and Disney will have a huge lawsuit on their hands, especially since by the morning of June 14 the LFT cast member said that he'd already seen a few people trip.

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

I give it 2 years, if the complaints I'm hearing are true (haven't ridden it myself). 4 years at the most. I'm surprised they event built Mater, considering there's an identical ride in Bug's Land.

• Thinking about doughnuts

Hey Quarar44, how's it going?

I also rode Luigi's yesterday. I'd read somewhere on MiceChat that the best strategy was to go on Luigi's first and then go on over to Racers. So I avoided most of the line and got on in about 10 minutes. Which was one entire cycle.

When I was there the throughput was horrible because they had set up a tire in the corner for the media riders. On each cycle they had to get a tire into the corner, put the media people in it, and then shoot some video before starting the cycle. I doubt Luigi's has a lot of throughput normally but yesterday it was horrible. Without the media video being shot it would have gone quicker. But it would still be a slow loader.

I admit to having ridden the original flying saucers but I was young enough that my memories of it are pretty vague. The most important thing is to select a tire that's away from the pileup of tires which tends to be in the middle. That gives you a chance to get moving. Stay in the center of the tire and just lean a little. It's just like they show in the instructions. It gets going very easily if you do that.

If you're in a pile of tires then it's hard to get going because people are in your way. I didn't really get a good tire because most were already taken so I ended up with one in the pack. My plan was to try to get out of there and see how fast the tire would go. It took me a while to break out of the group. I had to bump a few people to escape. That was fun. I liked bumping them. And they liked being bumped. Once I got a little separation I saw an opening and managed to get away and then move across about two thirds of the playfield without being hit. I kept leaning the whole time so the tire just kept accelerating. There is no friction to speak of. I approve of this design. I was moving quickly by the time I got to the other side. Sadly there was noone there to pile into so I just hit a wall but even that was fun. Boing. Your tire can move quickly but has limited ability to steer or slow down. Once again, I approve. This thing looks like it could be lots of fun.

I can't help but think what I could have done if I could have ridden the next cycle and got to be in the tire I left in the far corner. I would have taken that tire the length of the playfield and straight into the group of tires at the other end. It would have been like a cue ball on a break with me as the cue ball. Fun! Try that on a ride where you just get to sit back and watch the show.

I rode Luigi's once and Racers eight times. But that was only because the line at Luigi's was absurdly long. Well, definitely longer than my patience lasts. If the line lengths were equal then I would have gone on Racers a few times and spent the rest of the time on Luigi's. Racers is an impressive ride but I think Luigi's is more repeatable. Racers is a dark ride and family thrill ride which you sit back and enjoy. Luigi's is a game that you can play. There's any number of things you can try. Or you can just bounce around a little and play with the beach balls. It works for both kinds of riders.

Between the bouncy Italian music, tires bouncing off of each other, and beach balls flying in every direction I think Luigi's captures a kind of silliness which definitely adds to the area. Plus it's also fun to watch. The local crowd which frequents the park will definitely figure it out in short order. I think it's a fun addition to the park. And quite a bit different from most of the other rides.

I hope that Luigi's will last for a very long time. It's not going to appeal to everyone. But it will have some people like me who really look forward to playing with this shiny new toy.

Macro

Oh, and I will definitely remember to step over the tire rather than trip on it. Which they told me in the instructions at least twice. And I think on the signs in the queue. And definitely on the no step sign they had on the tire itself.

Oh no! They've built a ride where you actually need to follow instructions. What were they thinking?

• backwards driver

Well said Macro! I found luigi's tires to be a blast. The first time on I missed the instructions from the cast member. The second time around I got them and picked up what for me was the biggest tip, don't over lean. If you lean to far you ground out the tire and it can hardly move. If you lean only slightly you can really pick up some speed.

I rode this ride so many times the cm's said I needed a frequent flyer card . But by the end I was coming up with all sorts of fun things to do on it. I figured out how to guide my tire so I could heard the group of beach balls along toward the other flyers.

I hope it stays around for a long time! I love watching all the adults as they get on and start enjoying it just like kids. It's great. Also I thought the activity books to play with while you were in line was a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    Hey Quarar44, how's it going?

Oh, and I will definitely remember to step over the tire rather than trip on it. Which they told me in the instructions at least twice. And I think on the signs in the queue. And definitely on the no step sign they had on the tire itself.

Oh no! They've built a ride where you actually need to follow instructions. What were they thinking?
    Hey Macro! Thanks again for the ticket!

I noticed as well the tons of signage and emphasis on stepping over the tire which made it even weirder to me why people have been tripping over it. I don't know what would happen if you didn't, but the CM said that he thinks somebody is going to get hurt one of these days...

I went on RSR 3 times (got to love that single rider line) and Luigi's and Mater's once each. I also went up to Red the Firetruck and got sprayed with water when I asked him if his hoses worked. I haven't been in CA Adventure for anything more than World of Color since 2007, so everything added after then was new to me (TSM, Ariel's Undersea Adventure, etc). I went on TSM 12 times, CA Screamin 8 times, Tower of Terror 5 times, and had a great time at Ariel's Grotto for lunch. Though RSR is the newest ride, TSM was a new ride to me as well, and I honestly think I enjoyed TSM better than RSR, though the animatronics on RSR probably amazed me more than anything ever has.

Anyways, I really hope Luigi's is here to stay. I had a blast (it was the first ride I went on after the Red Car Trolley) and I wish I could've gone on it again to get the hang of the tires a little better. It seems like 99.9% of people follow the VERY OBVIOUS and CLEAR instructions posted on every other corner in that line. For some reason (at least according to the CM) there are still a few people that manage to step and/or trip on the tire, which is what Disney should be worried about IMO.
    Last edited by Quarar44; 06-15-2012 at 10:29 PM.

• Senior Minion

My hunch is that they'll sooner or later redesign and shrink the ride vehicles, get the spin feature working, fix the safety issues, add more vehicles, expand the size of the arena, and add a sweep arm or other vehicle collection scheme that speeds the load/unload time.

That sense Macro mentioned in his post of sharing silly fun with strangers in a ride that you control, rather than one that controls you, is the soul of what made the original Flying Saucers such a blast (when the blowers & valves were working, that is), and will continue to be the brass ring that a LFT 2.0 could deliver. It'll never be a people-eater, but achieving the best tradeoff point of vehicle size/vehicle number/platform size/ride capacity/ride length should be doable (given that the blower-and-valve problem that crippled the Saucers doesn't appear to be an issue), and should result in a very popular attraction that lasts a long time. I think they're nuts if they don't try -- and doubly nuts if they don't call in Bob Gurr as a consultant.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Thr biggest issue I saw today is the beach balls! I did not ride it but I watched a couple cycles. When people walked to their tire they would pick up one of the big beach balls and then pummel eachother with them. There seemed to be a big gap between people bonking other people with oversized beach balls and the people who where on it to just slide around. I'm not sure how they Are going to overcome the beach ball issues. I can see it now, someone gets hit and takes it the wrong way or is injured. It looks fun! Can't wait to ride it, but I'm.not sure of its longevity... It has identiy issues.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast