Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Flight tickets to DL and Helping me afford Disney!~

It's a hefty drive from Vegas to Anaheim, ~4-5 hours. If you're going to hacker fare, you're better off flying into one or more of the accessible area airports, John Wayne, Ontario, Long Beach, Burbank, and LAX.

Here is a story back from when I was working for an airline. It was a bit of a game to check fares through the day while at work to see just how often fares for one flight can change, it varied but at times it could be upwards of 15-20 changes in 1 8 hour period, sometimes up, sometimes down.

Even those who work in yield management at airlines dont always fully understand how it all works.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Yes, that's what causes an inverted U, a V, or W shape. The airline's main goal is to fill their plane to capacity. Some oversimplified hypothetical examples would be:

Flight ABC is not peak season so the price needs to be competitive. They start with a low price and sell a certain number of seats. Then the plane starts to fill but people are still booking, so the price goes up. Ideally for the airline they want that apex to be where the flight sells out. However, as it gets closer to the flight, they still have a lot of empty seats, so they lower the price on those again to attract more customers and fill every seat. That's an inverted U shape. Low, high, low again. The airline would rather sell a discounted seat than have an empty seat.

Flight DEF is during peak season. Tickets are priced fairly high to start with (because the collective market supports that price). When ticket sales start to drop off or competitors get aggressive, the airline lowers the price again. Ticket sales pick up, so the price goes up again until the plane sells out. That's a V shape, high, low, high.

Flight GHI is in mid season, maybe a high demand airport or time. Tickets start fairly high. If they don't sell, the price drops. When they sell again, prices go up. Then drop again if sales drop, then finally up until the plane sells. That's a W shape, high, low, high, low, high.

Other factors finesse this as well. Airlines have a fare code limit. For example, say a flight has 100 seats and 3 different fare codes. The 25 of those seats are designated "cheap," 50 are designated "medium/variable" and 25 are designated "high." Your high seats are going to be things like a fully refundable ticket or that desperation 24 hours before ticket. Cheap ones are economy, medium ones have more wiggle room. This is why you'll see things like "Only X number of seats available at this price" on Kayak/Travelocity, etc. Once those 25 cheap seats are gone, they're gone. However, that doesn't mean that the medium or even high seats can never be cheap. It just varies based on sales, empty seats, competition, and what the market will bear. In that sense, it's a gamble. You can book way in advance and be likely to get one of those 25 cheap seats, only to find that halfway through, the airline discounted its other codes to be even cheaper. Then there was no advantage to booking early. This is very oversimplified, as most airlines have a number of fare codes, maybe a dozen or more, covering everything from a fully refundable ticket to a military or government ticket, web special discount, bereavement fare, upgrade, consolidated fare, frequent flier redemption, restriction, and so on.

Bottom line is that airline pricing is quite complicated and most importantly, each airline has their own pricing code allocation and pricing system as proprietary information. There just isn't a hard and fast rule about when a particular ticket is going to be the cheapest. Just keep checking. And especially check mid-week, Tue. Wed. and Thu. as that's when prices tend to drop.

• Disney aficionado

Thank you for the help everyone. Yes, I know the airline game. I'm not an expert at it by any means.

I was thinking of flying into Vegas to see the Grand Canyon also on the same trip.
    5 hours of driving doesn't bother me. When we were there for a honeymoon, I drove 7 hours from Yosemite to Anaheim one day. That was a bit tough, but manageable! We then flew out of SNA the same day at around 9:00 and also ate at Bubba gumps in the newer shopping plaza by DL.

Anyhow, if I can get tickets for around $200 a pop that would be amazing. I see the average rate is around $350 - $450 now. I guess I'll keep my eyes open.

They should trade plane rates on the stock market. It would be interesting to see.
    Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

• Rock Star Minion

Welcome back, Yacks!!

Drivign to Cleveland is probably your best bet. Or, Southwest to Vegas.

$219. Internet only. Non-Stop. Each way.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney aficionado

Southwest definitely seems the cheapest to Vegas. The problem is I'll have to find someone else from Anaheim, SNA back to PIT. All return trips I've seen have been rather pricey. However, I could do priceline I suppose and maybe strike a good deal.

Thanks for checking on Southwest for me. I tend to forget them since expedia and the like don't search southwest.
    Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

• Rock Star Minion

Just drive back to Vegas. maybe the long way, through Death Valley.

Maybe fly out of Phoenix. Ever been to Phoenix? It's like LA, without the nearby beach and Disneyland.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disney aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Just drive back to Vegas. maybe the long way, through Death Valley.

Maybe fly out of Phoenix. Ever been to Phoenix? It's like LA, without the nearby beach and Disneyland.
    Other than the beach and DL; I'm not the biggest fan of LA. Hollywood and Beverly Hills is nice for nostalgia sake and sight seeing.

No interest in really seeing Phoenix. What does Phoenix have? Nothing, other than being close to the Canyon. I could drive back to Vegas.

When I was there on my honeymoon I went up to Yosemite from Anaheim and back. Not really the best trip planning on my part now that I think about it, but o well. That is even longer than Vegas to Anaheim, so that could be doable if need be. I'd probably spend the amount of money I'd save on a flight in gas $ though!

• Disney aficionado

In case you are wondering..

I came in first in the votes in the contest!!!...
    If they like my pic the most out of the top 3, I win free gas for a year. Otherwise, I win $150. Thanks all who voted!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12