Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Get rid of disneyland carnival rides

My girlfriend's favorite ride next to the Haunted Mansion is the Symphony Swings. When we went to WDW, she was disappointed that WDW didn't have swings like at DCA. The lack of swings practically ruined the trip for her. Really. Don't get rid of them. I'd like her to keep going to DL/DCA with me.

• Done with MC.

You really have to think about what the population in general want's and these rides are such.
    All those that you listed are still very popular and generally have long lines all the time.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I only count four. Carousel, Silly Symphony Swings,Goofy's Sky School, Golden Zephyr. I don't count MFW as off the shelf. As it is not your average ferris wheel. It was swinging cars and is much greater in size. It is unique, your local carnival won't have anything like it.
    I'd be surprised if a local carnival had a Mack Rides Wild Mouse coaster lol That'd be a lot better quality than the ones at my fair
    Last edited by planetsix; 06-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Because Bert Said So!

•   
    • Minion

There's a reason those rides are considered classics--as an adult I've certainly had fun riding all of those attractions, even Dumbo.

For the Carousel, well, it's a quintessential ride, and it's one that many kids don't get to see outside of Disneyland. It used to be that a lot of big city parks had a carousel, and it's still that way in some parts of Europe and bigger cities--but for some kids and adults, Disneyland might be the only time they get to ride on a beautifully appointed, full sized classic carousel. In addition the ride itself is a museum piece and is over 100 years old, IIRC, and that counts for something.

For the others, I think that again, what sets Dumbo and Astro-Orbitor apart from spinners at your local carnival is attention to detail. Both of those rides are visual works of art, and are so intricately designed. Mad Tea Party? Well, the carnival rides with teacups are copying it!

For the DCA rides, I do think that the Golden Zephyr is lovely and has more attention to design than a carnival ride, and the MFW is one of only three wheels in the entire world with that design. They are not generic. GSS and the Swings, well, they are dressing up standard carnival or pier rides, but it could be worse.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    I have seen many an adult/parent having fun with their kids riding the carousel, dumbo, the teacups & autopia.
    I have BEEN the parent having fun with my kids on these rides.

I'm not sure just exactly which one of us enjoyed the ride most.......

Seriously, I know they're carnival rides to a degree, but I think kids know when us parents enjoy 'their' rides. And DL does a great job of insuring that people of any age are welcome on the 'little kid' rides.

If anything, I'd like to see a few more of them scattered around the park.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

I would suggest that a diversity of attractions has always been part of Disneyland's success.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I would suggest that a diversity of attractions has always been part of Disneyland's success.
    Exactly! That's what's great about it... it isn't one note. There's richness and diversity in every way at Disneyland, that's part of the magic!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Merry 2014!

They may be simple but extremely well done. The theme alone makes them unique. Also there are only so many ways to create rides for those who dislike thrills.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
    • Seasick

A few basic carnival rides that are heavily themed are fine.

Something like the Silly Symphony Swings is borderline, because aside from the music & light theming, it is no different than swings at any local amusement park.

My only beef is when a land contains only these basic type of attractions. Dumbo works in Fantasyland because there are also some dark rides that go beyond being just a carnival ride.

A Bugs Land, on the other hand, lacks that one attraction that would make it a fully realized land. If only Heimlich had been longer, with some indoor show scenes. Every attraction in that land is a basic ride, just heavily themed.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

Ride technology is not the be-all, end-all of ride quality.

• Senior Minion

I think one other important aspect of these rides is the environment that surrounds them. Many of the best of these rides gives you another perspective on the land and are part of the idea of the park as the attraction. To me every aesthetic improvement they make to PP makes all carnival type rides much more enjoyable. Seeing the Mermaid building, Paradise Park, Paradise Gardens and the bay make the Zephyr, SSS, JJ and even Screamin' much more enjoyable. As PP is further improved it will only make these rides better as well.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Yes, but the idea behind Disneyland was kids and adults have fun together. While I agree thrill rides are not for everyone (myself often included), non-thrill rides do not have to be different ways to make children move in a circle.

Dark rides, such as Fantasyland fare, Small World, various assorted boats and vehicles throughout the park are prime examples of the types of rides that can be excellent for children and adults, alike.
    but sometimes the parents want to sit out and let theyre kids have a blast. this is why toon town and a bugs land is perfect

---------- Post added 06-17-2012 at 05:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    My girlfriend's favorite ride next to the Haunted Mansion is the Symphony Swings. When we went to WDW, she was disappointed that WDW didn't have swings like at DCA. The lack of swings practically ruined the trip for her. Really. Don't get rid of them. I'd like her to keep going to DL/DCA with me.
    haha i like her

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Why do you wish to destroy the last remaining remnants of my childhood? LOL. But seriously, those are classics! You can't touch those. Except Autopia! Tear it down and give me E tickets! :P

• formerly very helpful

I, for one, am not talking about tearing down those classic rides. But as has been mentioned earlier, we need that balance. No more than a few of these off the shelf rides.
    Mrs.Monroe, I will admit that there is a need for those attractions that parents can sit and watch while their kids watch. Yes, I've done that myself with my own kids.
    It's just that there shouldn't be too many of them, at the expense of more well themed, creative attractions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12