Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Disneyland Wheelchair Attitudes

Howdy Pards,

Well, ya know, anyone's enjoyment of Walt Disney World or Disneyland is gonna be directly dependent on their own attitudes. Those Cast Members can smile and be nice all they want to, but if the guest ain't got the right attitude...it just don't matter.

Now, let's talk a little about Wheelchair guests. It's true that some folks can't walk around the parks like they use to...some folks are gettin' on in years, some folks are just plain too big, some folks are ill, or disabled in one way or another.

So, somebody, somewheres a long, long time ago invented chairs with wheels on 'em.

Guests sometimes come to the park in wheelchairs...or rent them there. My wife, who has gone on to Heaven now, went to the parks many times in a wheel chair. I know, cause I took her.

She had a stroke...and couldn't balance anymore...she could walk with my help a little...but not by herself. She hated being trapped in that chair. I took her out of it to get a picture with that Goofy Statue...or when she wanted a picture in front of the castle. I held her up as one of those Disney Photographers took our picture on Main Street lookin' down towards the castle... When I saw that picture I noticed that our hair was turnin' gray...even though we both still felt like kids.

We had to face facts...there were some things she just couldn't do anymore...like get in and out of those Pirate Boats.

Oh...but she sure looked forward to the Jungle Cruise, cause they had a boat over there specially rigged for a person to stay right in their chair...she loved it.

Happiness is a mighty valuable thing...

Which brings me to the subject of this thread...Wheelchair Attitudes. Taint no doubt that some folks have high expectations of what Disney has to do for them if they are in any way disabled...and they come in expecting to complain about something. They come in with the wrong attitude...and, in many cases, it is very nearly impossible to please them.

My wife loved the things she could do. She loved that Jungle Cruise...she loved ridin' on the riverboat...she loved the shows...she loved the beauty, and wonder, and magic of the place. She sure didn't waste a lotta time lookin' up at the treehouse and cryin' over not bein' able to climb it...we were much too busy lookin' for exciting, wonderful, delightful, magical things we COULD do. And, just bein' together in this happy place...

Visiting Disney made us both happy. We went with that goal...we loved the place...and we loved each other.

Life in general is not easy. If you are confined to a wheelchair it can be frustrating...especially if you lived an active life.
    But...the key to a happy life, both in a wheelchair and out of it, is YOUR attitude. The key to a joy-filled visit to a Disney Park is to do it with someone you love...and to be absolutely determined to stay happy no matter what. That is easier said than done...I know...but it CAN be done. My wife and I did it...many times. Those things, those memories will always be a cherished part of our life together...more and more valuable as time goes by...

Make up your mind to Be Happy...to meet life's challenges with a smile...and to look for the wonder, the magic, and the joy.

Count your blessings...and keep a smile in your heart. Cherish every moment you have with the places and the ones you love...and do your best to spread some of that happiness around. The whole world could use more of it. I read somewheres that it is better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness. Let your light shine.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 06-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Well said! Disney does the best that they can for the masses. I have taken many friends to the park who were in wheel chairs. That was some of my better trips. It wasn't what we couldn't do it was what can we do and have fun. I learned to enjoy the park in a different eye.

• Distant Disneylandaholic

Re: Disneyland Wheelchair Attitudes

Thanks for this post!

My wife has always been very active. Last summer she was playing tennis and jogging. Last September something happened (doctors still trying to figure out what it is) with the neuromuscular system and now at age 42 she spends most moving time in a wheelchair. She can do a little at a time, slowly, with a cane, but it wipes her out completely for days. We canceled our trip last September as a result. We're now planning on this October and unless something changes dramatically she'll be in her chair. Your post is perfect timing as we start planning the trip. We've got a ton to learn about doing Disneyland in a wheelchair, but are really looking forward to it. It'll just be nice to be there together and with the kids. We'll need to prepare ourselves for dirty stares, I'm guessing, since when you look at her she looks about 25 and as healthy as can be...

Thanks again!

• I am not a Krusty Krab

that actually made my day better by reading this thanks. hopefully i get someone to treat me as well as you did her

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Workin to live,lovin life

This made me smile! Thank you!

• U. B. Bold

Thanks pard. Happy trails!
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• formerly very helpful

Thanks for your wisdom, Wild Ol' Dan. I really do gain a lot from what you have to say.

• Photographer-In-Training

My Diabetes has caused me some trouble in the park. I can't eat all the sugary treats the park offers, when my blood sugar is low I have trouble walking around the park, and when my blood sugar is high I feel dizzy and sick. It is difficult to go to the parks with funky sugar levels, but I just try to enjoy all the magic of the park when I feel low or high or anything wrong. It's not as bad as being in a wheelchair, but I just never found a post to put this in. Glad you look at the park that way, Dan.
    -Carter P.

Exactly the right attitude! I know a girl who was paralyzed from the waist down in a fall a few years ago... now she's only 23, and this was several years ago. Nowhere near the age where someone may "expect" to be wheelchair bound... but this girl lives her life to the fullest and honestly probably gets out and does more things than most people with their mobility intact do. It's ALL about your attitude - absolutely!
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

A good attitude will get you a long way in life, inside DLR or not.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

When you see a larger person in a wheelchair, I think some people forget that it's very common that persons who lose the ability to be ambulatory tend to put on weight quickly (particularly if they keep eating the same amount of food)... and that since they are no longer ambulatory, it's darn near impossible to get that weight off.

Sneering at a "fat expletive" in a wheelchair that "should just get off their 'rear' and lose some weight" is a really, really ugly attitude to throw around.
    Madge, obsessive Disney freak!
    How everyone sounds singing "Let It Go"

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Ya know, it seems that Walt Disney feller was always dreamin' up ways of makin' this ol' world a happier place. In 1956 he joined the fight against Juvenile Arthritis.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

Thank you when i looked at the title of the thread i thought great here we go one more time but it was a great suprise

•   
    • Minion

good post Dan

• Elk Grove Chris

Great post Dan. Attitude is everything, reason we never have a bad trip to DL no matter what happens.
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast