Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: New Land - Expansion Behind Cars Land

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspaceman View Post
    From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...

I'm sorry about that StarSpeeder. I broke my own rule of, "if you don't have something good to say, then don't say anything."
    I loved the Muppets growing up and I love Muppet Treasure Island. There is just something that doesn't jive with me seeing
    Muppets in Disneyland. I'm glad you really like the Muppets. Beaker, by the way is my favorite!
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    I can respect that. Disney has done a lot with the Muppets though, I'm glad that it just didn't die out. Although it wasn't what it was back in the day, but no one forgot about Kermit and the gang yet. Yay!

I also have a particular soft spot for Beaker. Meep!

Okay, I'm going to try to concentrate back on this disscussion now...

• U. B. Bold

Here's an idea that I'd bet WDI is considering right now: Monstropolous, the city from Monsters Inc. Think about it, it could be built against the back of the Cadillac Range and Tower of Terror would not look at all out of place looming above. Sort of a Monster's themed New Orleans Square type land with twisting streets and out-of-the-way nooks. Move and plus the current Monster's attraction there, add Laugh Floor and a new E ticket based on the flying doors and you've got a pretty solid, immersive land which most of the design work has already been done for. Plus, you've got a new Monster's prequel coming out and the whole thing is a perfect compliment to the wildly successful Cars Land. DCA's Pixarfacation would then be complete. Think of the merch sales alone! I know, I know, the theme has nothing to do with California but that hasn't stopped them before. I'm not saying this is a great idea, or even a good one, I just know how they think. Heck, I'd bet the concept art is already well underway.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Here's an idea that I'd bet WDI is considering right now: Monstropolous, the city from Monsters Inc. Think about it, it could be built against the back of the Cadillac Range and Tower of Terror would not look at all out of place looming above. Sort of a Monster's themed New Orleans Square type land with twisting streets and out-of-the-way nooks. Move and plus the current Monster's attraction there, add Laugh Floor and a new E ticket based on the flying doors and you've got a pretty solid, immersive land which most of the design work has already been done for. Plus, you've got a new Monster's prequel coming out and the whole thing is a perfect compliment to the wildly successful Cars Land. DCA's Pixarfacation would then be complete. Think of the merch sales alone! I know, I know, the theme has nothing to do with California but that hasn't stopped them before. I'm not saying this is a great idea, or even a good one, I just know how they think. Heck, I'd bet the concept art is already well underway.
    Normally, I would love a land like that but I haven't gotten over the fact that Monsters Inc. scared the bejeezies outta me when I was a kid. I think I'm the only one, but other than that it's a great idea!

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    Quote Originally Posted by StarSpeeder View Post
    I can respect that. Disney has done a lot with the Muppets though, I'm glad that it just didn't die out. Although it wasn't what it was back in the day, but no one forgot about Kermit and the gang yet. Yay!

I also have a particular soft spot for Beaker. Meep!

Okay, I'm going to try to concentrate back on this disscussion now...
    Nice bunny trail, or should I say, nice Froggy trail!
    Back to the discussion... I think that this area needs to tie into the HTT timeline. Maybe the trolley barn could be turned into a dark ride. It could be a "behind the scenes view" of one of the big trolley barns in L. A. back in the 30's. It could be filled with gears, cables, mechanical stuff that was used to run the red trolley line. It could lean a little to a Steampunk style in regards to steam power, gears, oil, dark, fantasy, etc. Maybe have an Epic Mickey feel to it.
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out.
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

First of all, that parking lot is planned for phase two of Cars Land. My idea for a Cars expansion entails this. First of all, the neigbooring A Bugs Land district is reorganized as a part of Hollywood Land. Flicks Flyers becomes a Flying Carpets ride modeled after the original design for the one at WDS. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is taken out. Francis' Lady Bug Boogie stays, but is moved to where Hiemlich's Chew Chew Train was,rethemed as as Cars Race Rally (resembling the WDS ride), and annexed as a part of Cars Land.

Over in the parking lot next to Cars Land will be Marty's Drive-In Movie Madness (the planned drive-in themes attraction for Cars Land), Wild Woodies (a small kids coaster themed to Cars universe-like "Woodies"), Sally's Road Rallies (a ride where you can steer a car throigh several locations, such as a car wash where you can get sprayed by water, and steer throughout the streets). A new counter service restaurant named Donut Drive-In is themed to resemble LA area landmark The Donut Hole. A new gift shop named Cross Country USA will also go in this expansion. Another gift shop, Alpine Motel, will be discussed in further detail later on. Whatever land is left will be used in further expansion or in backstage facilities.

Personally, if Disney does manage to acquire those motels located behind Cars Land I have my own ideas for what they should do with it.
    They should establish a brand new land at DCA. Themed to the ski resorts of California, this land will be named Mineral King Ski Resort (yes, after the ski resort Walt himself bad planned to build in the Golden State).
    The entrance to this land would be through the retouched transplanted front of the Alpine Hotel. Moved from its former location after the rest of the motel will be torn down. This entrance will be located along the border it shares with Cars Land Phase 2. It will provide a fit for the new land and its ski village motif as well as for Cars Land by being an authentic portion of a motel not unlike those that one once would find along Route 66. Within this gateway will be a new gift shop simply named the Alpine Motel and a small family restroom. The gift shop will have and enterence in both the Cars Land district and the Mineral King Ski Resort district. It will be listed in both lands on park maps, but will be drawn as part of Cars Land.
    Part of the placemaking in this land will be mountain facades constructed behind the Cadillac Mountains of Radiator Springs Racers.
    Because people, for obvious reasons, associate cold with mountain ski resorts, this landvasside from its E-Ticket attraction which will for a good portion be in an air conditioned show building) will be themed to feel like what might be the fall or springtime in a ski village located at the base of such mountain resorts. To also help future evoke a ski-village feel this land will be highly shaded. This will also help to provide a means to combat DCA's park-wide lack of shade.

The E-Ticket attraction of this new land will be a beautiful but exciting adventure on a chair lift themed inverted coaster named Chair Lift-Off. Another attraction will be a revived Country Bear Jamboree, which was originally designed for Walt's never built ski resort at Mineral King. Also here is another former Disneyland Park attraction that would have very likely found itself a similar cousin at Walt's unbuilt ski resort. The Skyway gondola ride. Updated to in every specific number of gondolas include a few seats that can easily pull be pulled up and pulled down securely in a matter of seconds and a special fixture on the floor to allow standard wheelchair passangers to ride without switching out of their chair. This Skyway will travel to paradise pier, and MANY seaside trolley parks have included such amusements as Skyway rides either for travel, scenic pleasure, or for both. A third attraction I. this land will be a Circlevision theater showing the scenic mountains and nature trails of California. One final attraction will be a elevated narrow gauge railway. As this railway passes through the remaining back stage areas of Cars Land it will travel first through a diorama depicting Seqouia National Forests, and then one representing Death Valley. It will then will cut over the Pacific Warf and travel through Grizzly Peak to a station replacing part of the Redwood Creek Challange Trail. The train will then depart from this station, encircling the Grizzly Peak and even traveling above Grizzly River Run before traveling alongside its tracks through the rest of the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area and through the Pacific Warf. Once it reaches the backstage areas it enters a diorama building parallel to the other one. This diorama represents the California Tar Pits first as the were back in primeval era and as they are now with a narration describing how these transformed to their present day state. It next travels through a Seqoia diorama that is different from the other one before arriving back at its Mineral King Ski Resort station.

This new land will feature three shops. The previously mentioned Alpine Motel, a gift shop that also serves as the exit for the Ski Lift-Off Coaster named the Ski Shop, and a gift shop that also serves as the exits to both the Country Bear Jamboree and the Circavision theater named the Mineral King Village Marketplace.

Two restaurants will be located in this land. The first is a straight forward counter service restaurant named 'Ski-In/Ski-Out'. The other will be an extremely high quality sit down restaurant named Disney's Sky Crown at Mineral King. This will be loosely modeled and highly inspired by the unique dining experience that was expected to be a highlight of Walt's ski resort.
    Last edited by Tyler Kochman; 07-05-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: To Make It Easier To Read

Another idea, as the railway I previously mentioned passes over the Pacific Warf area it can go through a new (more detailed and accurate) partial replica of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Kochman View Post
    First of all, that parking lot is planned for phase two of Cars Land. My idea for a Cars expansion entails this. First of all, the neigbooring A Bugs Land district is reorganized as a part of Hollywood Land. Flicks Flyers becomes a Flying Carpets ride modeled after the original design for the one at WDS. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is taken out. Francis' Lady Bug Boogie stays, but is moved to where Hiemlich's Chew Chew Train was,rethemed as as Cars Race Rally (resembling the WDS ride), and annexed as a part of Cars Land.

Over in the parking lot next to Cars Land will be Marty's Drive-In Movie Madness (the planned drive-in themes attraction for Cars Land), Wild Woodies (a small kids coaster themed to Cars universe-like "Woodies"), Sally's Road Rallies (a ride where you can steer a car throigh several locations, such as a car wash where you can get sprayed by water, and steer throughout the streets). A new counter service restaurant named Donut Drive-In is themed to resemble LA area landmark The Donut Hole. A new gift shop named Cross Country USA will also go in this expansion. Another gift shop, Alpine Motel, will be discussed in further detail later on. Whatever land is left will be used in further expansion or in backstage facilities.

Personally, if Disney does manage to acquire those motels located behind Cars Land I have my own ideas for what they should do with it.
    They should establish a brand new land at DCA. Themed to the ski resorts of California, this land will be named Mineral King Ski Resort (yes, after the ski resort Walt himself bad planned to build in the Golden State).
    The entrance to this land would be through the retouched transplanted front of the Alpine Hotel. Moved from its former location after the rest of the motel will be torn down. This entrance will be located along the border it shares with Cars Land Phase 2. It will provide a fit for the new land and its ski village motif as well as for Cars Land by being an authentic portion of a motel not unlike those that one once would find along Route 66. Within this gateway will be a new gift shop simply named the Alpine Motel and a small family restroom. The gift shop will have and enterence in both the Cars Land district and the Mineral King Ski Resort district. It will be listed in both lands on park maps, but will be drawn as part of Cars Land.
    Part of the placemaking in this land will be mountain facades constructed behind the Cadillac Mountains of Radiator Springs Racers.
    Because people, for obvious reasons, associate cold with mountain ski resorts, this landvasside from its E-Ticket attraction which will for a good portion be in an air conditioned show building) will be themed to feel like what might be the fall or springtime in a ski village located at the base of such mountain resorts. To also help future evoke a ski-village feel this land will be highly shaded. This will also help to provide a means to combat DCA's park-wide lack of shade.

The E-Ticket attraction of this new land will be a beautiful but exciting adventure on a chair lift themed inverted coaster named Chair Lift-Off. Another attraction will be a revived Country Bear Jamboree, which was originally designed for Walt's never built ski resort at Mineral King. Also here is another former Disneyland Park attraction that would have very likely found itself a similar cousin at Walt's unbuilt ski resort. The Skyway gondola ride. Updated to in every specific number of gondolas include a few seats that can easily pull be pulled up and pulled down securely in a matter of seconds and a special fixture on the floor to allow standard wheelchair passangers to ride without switching out of their chair. This Skyway will travel to paradise pier, and MANY seaside trolley parks have included such amusements as Skyway rides either for travel, scenic pleasure, or for both. A third attraction I. this land will be a Circlevision theater showing the scenic mountains and nature trails of California. One final attraction will be a elevated narrow gauge railway. As this railway passes through the remaining back stage areas of Cars Land it will travel first through a diorama depicting Seqouia National Forests, and then one representing Death Valley. It will then will cut over the Pacific Warf and travel through Grizzly Peak to a station replacing part of the Redwood Creek Challange Trail. The train will then depart from this station, encircling the Grizzly Peak and even traveling above Grizzly River Run before traveling alongside its tracks through the rest of the Grizzly Peak Recreation Area and through the Pacific Warf. Once it reaches the backstage areas it enters a diorama building parallel to the other one. This diorama represents the California Tar Pits first as the were back in primeval era and as they are now with a narration describing how these transformed to their present day state. It next travels through a Seqoia diorama that is different from the other one before arriving back at its Mineral King Ski Resort station.

This new land will feature three shops. The previously mentioned Alpine Motel, a gift shop that also serves as the exit for the Ski Lift-Off Coaster named the Ski Shop, and a gift shop that also serves as the exits to both the Country Bear Jamboree and the Circavision theater named the Mineral King Village Marketplace.

Two restaurants will be located in this land. The first is a straight forward counter service restaurant named 'Ski-In/Ski-Out'. The other will be an extremely high quality sit down restaurant named Disney's Sky Crown at Mineral King. This will be loosely modeled and highly inspired by the unique dining experience that was expected to be a highlight of Walt's ski resort.
    I like the ski mountain/lodge feel a lot (as long as it doesn't feel duplicative with Grizzly Peak and Matterhorn), and the ski lift themed suspended coaster idea is fantastic. I can see it going up the mountain...building up suspense...then diving down over the other side, through old mine tunnels and being hit with a cold-burst avalanche, etc. It makes sense to do a snowy mountain behind Cars range and -- with Paradise Pier on the other side of the park -- it would capture the "sea to ski" scale of California. I've never been to Blizzard Beach at WDW but the photos look cool in terms of the artificial snow, etc.

Great ideas - I too like the Mineral King Ski Resort revival. But I was thinking that, instead of making it a whole new land, they would incorporate it into the Grizzly Peak area, which is currently greatly themed but lacking in attractions. If I'm not mistaken, it's the biggest land in DCA but it currently had only two attractions, and I barely count Redwood Creek Challenge. A ski lift-type transportation would be useful for getting people from one end of the giant land to the other, perhaps passing right over Grizzly Peak; it would have to be a very odd ski lift, though, because it would have to bring you back down again at the end because I don't believe the land actually increases in elevation at all.

I'd also say replace the Redwood Creek area with a Country Bear Jamboree revival, but have a little area around the attraction designed after a campground you might see in Yosemite or other national parks, with various activities to do similar to what Redwood Creek offered as well as those offered by the Junior Ranger program in various national parks throughout the U.S. It's educational and fun for the kids.

I do like what they've done with the bug's land mural, but I'm still all for taking down that section of the park and turning it into either an extended Cars Land or an extended Hollywoodland. (Sidenote: if a bug's land does get taken down, along with its mural, then that's two awesome murals that DCA has had to sacrifice in order to make improvements. Sheesh. Let's hope whatever replaces it gets an equally detailed mural on the old It's Tough To Be a Bug show building.)

I'd be interested in seeing what they do with the land behind Cars Land, but personally I wouldn't mind if it becomes an extension of the existing area. Cars Land is low on attractions and I've already expressed how it'd be nice if it became a more general Route 66-themed land sometime in the future...perhaps the entire place could be called "Twin Towns of Route 66" (working title, obviously :P) and could have Radiator Springs in the front, and a more realistic Route 66 town behind it. They'd have to someone re-route the current Route 66 road that dead-ends at the back of Cars Land...just building it straight through would be easier said than done, since you'd have to take out some of the rockwork and possibly part of RSR to do so. The Imagineers kinda dug themselves into a hole with that, when it comes to possible expansions that go along Route 66.

• And Dad was my hero.

I really love the idea of bringing San Fransisco back in the picture more somehow. Love that they did a Ghiradelli's but there needs to be more. It seems fitting with the museum being there and all. Some kind of cool ride with Lombard street would make a lot of sense.

• -

First of all, that parking lot is planned for phase two of Cars Land.
    Source?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

It's a shame they didn't create a fantastic rock-climbing wall on the other side of Cars Land ;-)

Been thinking that ever since it went up.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Source?
    I think its more based off rumors of the Drive in Movie....the and the other "smaller" rides that were planned but no put into the land and also the rumors of Autotopia moving there

It makes sense to expand the land rather then build a small subland...considering how Big Carsland is with people....there is enough room there to expand it twice meaning two more summers of bringing in ALOT more people

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I think its more based off rumors of the Drive in Movie....the and the other "smaller" rides that were planned but no put into the land and also the rumors of Autotopia moving there

It makes sense to expand the land rather then build a small subland...considering how Big Carsland is with people....there is enough room there to expand it twice meaning two more summers of bringing in ALOT more people
    That makes sense. I just hadn't heard there was anything official planned for that area, but the different rumors that you mentioned would make sense as a source of conjecture.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345