Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mischievous Mouse

What's wrong with Bugs Land?

It just seems so "toddler" to me. It was ok when my son was 4, even 5, but after that it became a "walk through" land. It's too small to really do much with it. Should it just be replaced, or maybe cut it up into a Bugs/Lion King/Up/Brave type conglomerate of all?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: What's wrong with Bugs Land?

Adding a bugs/lion king/up/brave land would violate the theme even more. Bugs land needs to go because it has hardly anything to do with the California theme, not because it has toddler rides.It should either be replaced or turned into an expansion for hollywoodland.

• Banned User

Bug's Land could really fit the theme of any park, so I'm not bothered by it being there, but it could use a touch up. Something new to keep it interesting. I wouldn't say it's "wrong" though, and you're right it is for very young children. I think the main answer to your question is, your kids just too old for it now. There are tons who aren't. Adding those other movies though, two of which take place in Africa and Scotland, wouldn't make sense at all in California themed park. Think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    It just seems so "toddler" to me. It was ok when my son was 4, even 5, but after that it became a "walk through" land. It's too small to really do much with it. Should it just be replaced, or maybe cut it up into a Bugs/Lion King/Up/Brave type conglomerate of all?

You kind of answer your own question. There are plenty of 4 and 5 year olds that pass through the DCA turnstiles everyday, and at a very high price. They should have a little land of their own. The amount of space Bug's Land occupies is so inconsequential that it is fine with me to just leave it alone. 4 rides in an area you can pass through in less than 30 seconds if you don't care to stop and look at some smiling faces. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• -

It is actually a very nicely themed area that kids and adults can enjoy together. I probably would have found a way to enclose the train so it felt more like a dark ride, but that is all.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Mickey is not my Brother

The one thing bad about this land is that the rides are made for toddlers. Adults can ride them too but they do not have the same enjoyment as does Fantasyland rides. They should remove the area and replace it with something both old and young can enjoy.

• Just this guy......

I think that the theme and theme quality is fine but it is the quality of the attractions that is the real problem.

I'm good with Flik's flyers and Ladybug boogie but the bumper cars and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train are very, very slow and disappointing.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    The one thing bad about this land is that the rides are made for toddlers. Adults can ride them too but they do not have the same enjoyment as does Fantasyland rides. They should remove the area and replace it with something both old and young can enjoy.
    Very well put! Fantasyland has much, much more appeal.

And while I agree, toddlers do need a place in California, it's suppose to me "family" oriented, and with the rides really not designed to appeal to adults, it fails to "connect" with the family as a whole. Unless the parents are under 5' tall and less that 150lbs.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Bumper Cars that cant Bump.....there lies the problem..the rides are just "kinda" dressed up carnival rides that are too slow and JUST for kids.

I am not against a few rides for kids...but a whole land? And no I still love Fantasyland it has Dark rides, a coaster, and just a cooler atmosphere.

Bugsland I am hoping goes away even for one Big E ticket ride (they have room if they use the Bugsland theater underground) because at least that would entertain all guests and draw people in

• formerly very helpful

Like everything else in the world, it needs balance.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The crime of A Bug's Land goes much deeper than "it's for toddlers". Its purpose and theme is completely wrong.

"Flik's Fun Fair" is the real name of the area we're talking about. And Flik's Flyers is the ONLY attraction that fits that. Flik, the inventor ant, made Flik's Flyers with found objects. It's not my favorite spinner but it works, has sound effects, and has a fun soundtrack.

Now look at all the other attractions. Do they match this "Flik's Fun Fair" theme?

NO.

Maybe Dot's Puddle Park does but why are there millions of Tuck and Rolls and why are we riding in them?

Why do we tumble inside massive versions of Francis Ladybug's head??

Why do we sit in Heimlich as he eats his way around the garden? I don't think that's what Flik had in mind when he wanted to build a fun fair.

If you're going to do knock-off kiddie attractions, DO THEM RIGHT. That's really all I ask. Remember that bird created with leaves in the film? Turn that into a Dragon Swing attraction. OR SOMETHING!

Yes, it's fun to see the tall clovers and all that but the land is wrong on a deeper level than just having a bunch of kiddie rides.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• 2 shots on the rocks.

^Excellent post.

FFF just needs to be re-worked/re-imagined and it could be a really awesome land. It would be cool so to have a coaster made out of found objects, i.e. tinker toys, popsicle sticks, dead branches and such.
    A darkride is needed too. Maybe an attraction involving ants and going down an ant hole? A bug sized circus has endless possiblities. The subject matter allows for so much more creativity then what we have today. It was a quick fix and knee jerk reation when built and now is the time to go back and retool.
    The bumper cars should be removed immediately.
    Last edited by doppio; 06-17-2012 at 12:04 PM.

• Sock Puppet

I frankly think that CL does the thing BL did, which is to entertain the kids in DCA. Now that CL does that, BL i think needs to go. Maybe an extension of the TOT area or HL area. I think it's just wasted space now.

While I think FFF is great for young kids and the theming is pretty nice, it's (now) in a terribly inconvenient spot, in between Hollywood Land, Cars Land and the remainder of the Timon lot. It is a walled off garden with unnatural connectors to the other lands.

I would re-locate a couple of the attractions and in conjunction with MJJ you would still have a great set of rides for youngsters.

I would then split this land between Hollywood Land and Cars Land with a Main Street/Adventureland style central building with more open walkways around it, leading to the extra Timon lot space.

Finally, I was thinking how awesome it might be to turn the ITTBAB theater into an actual CCT theater, extending BVS out to envelop this space with a new type of Disney Gallery/museum structure built next to it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald the Rabbitt View Post
    100% Agree.

It's not a secret that Walt Disney built Disneyland such that the rides could be enjoyed by guests of all ages. As Walt thought that adults were really just grown-up kids at heart, he decided to build rides which aren't 100% completely boring for adults like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train. Walt also knew that kids liked to "reach" and enjoy things a little bit out of their age bracket. Four year olds will be entertained with Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, but they also will like Peter Pan.

My brother took his four year old niece on Pirates and she loved it, (maybe an extreme example), but her favorite ride is HMH now at five years of age. The guests in front of us said that they left their five year old home because they didn't think he was old enough to enjoy it, hehe.

Bug's Land is better than nothing, which was what was there before for little kids, but its not in line with the general Disney philosophy, in terms of building rides with multi-generational appeal and which are not, frankly, cheap rides.

I remember when I first rode Heimlich's, I was sure that the outside track was just a little diversion before you go into an underground show building or something.

Speaking of underground show buildings, I think Disney should look at that as DCA doesn't have a lot of room for expansion. Yes, they could tear out Bug's Land, but what could fit in there?

I think they forgot how to build rides which utilize space well, like Disneyland's Fantasyland, for example, why doesn't Heimlich's train take a nice little journey around Bug's Land??? They could have used little hills and "bridges" made out of plants or thrown-away human junk. As is Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is an insult to guests who pay high ticket prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast