Disneyland Photo Tips/Tricks/Techniques

We have so many talented people taking photos around here, I thought I would ask.... What are your favorite tricks, tips and techniques when shooting photos in the park? How to you get crisp photos on fast rides, dark rides and fireworks? Where are you favorite places and times to take photos?

Re: Disneyland Photo Tips/Tricks/Techniques

yes do share PLEASE

So glad you asked! I've just got a new camera too. Thanks in advance to those who reply.
    Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.

The biggest help to me is exposure compensation (it will make your pictures darker or brighter than the camera is neutrally set to do). I set mine a stop or so darker, which helps keep shutter speeds higher or ISO lower since the camera doesn't need to have as much light. It gives the camera permission to shoot dark.

Read the manual for your camera. Know what it can do, and how to do it. Read a book on photography. Even a point and shoot can get great pictures if you know how to work it, and the benefit of those little guys is you can always have it with you when a shot jumps out at you.

Places? All over! Things jump out at me while walking around that would look good on "film." Window displays, light fixtures, any theme elements, or just something at a new angle. I shoot a lot of pictures in a day at Disney, honestly. I've maxed out an 8GB card and had to start on a second. I don't post every shot, I edit ruthlessly, but that's a good way to try and get a couple really great shots.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

There's an entire thread dedicated to photography tips and techniques. It's been going for almost two years, so there is a ton of stuff to go through.
    The Disneyland Photo of the Day...
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

If you have a DSLR, then you need a very fast lens for taking pictures in dark rides, this is the f-number of the lens and determines how much light it lets in. An f1.8 would be the minimum recommended for dark environments. The f-stop scale is logarithmic, so an f1.4 lets in twice as much light as an f1.8.

Usually, fast lenses are fixed focal length. If you have a Canon DSLR, then one of the most useful lenses you can get is this one. It's very fast, fixed focal length, and one of the least expensive lenses you can buy.

Oh, and remember, no flash photography. You not only disrupt the other guests on the ride, but your picture will turn out looking like crap most of the time.

I had a fantastic suprise on my last trip to Disneyland. We ate at Blue Bayou and everyone at the table got the glow cups with the pirate light... guess what!? It illuminated the photos just enough that you can actually get great photos of your party even thought it's dark.

Thanks for the thread link, I thought I'd seen something but couldn't remember :P

Quote Originally Posted by chiablo View Post
    Usually, fast lenses are fixed focal length. If you have a Canon DSLR, then one of the most useful lenses you can get is this one. It's very fast, fixed focal length, and one of the least expensive lenses you can buy..
    Much appreciated - my partner's taking our Canon DSLR (too heavy for me) so I'll pass this on - I know he was planning to buy a new lens before we left too.

I've got a Canon PowerShot SX40 HS. It's not a DSLR but a step up from your regular point and shoot + it's a video camera. And it's light enough I'm not going to hurt myself so yay.
    Not so patiently waiting for Disneyland Australia.