• Unhelpful User

How Will DCA Success affect Disneyland park in the future?

With the revamping of DCA and becoming the it park now how will disneyland suffer if at all , will DL get affected by attendance or maybe even wait times , all i'm saying is DCA success good or bad for disneyland park in the long run share your thoughts!

Re: How Will DCA Success affect Disneyland park in the future?

Disneyland will never suffer from success at DCA. Quite the opposite, in fact. Interest in either is beneficial to both. All success at DCA means is better crowd dispersal.

I was at the Disneyland Resort from the 11th-16th and Disneyland was just as busy as ever (yes, even after Carsland and Buena Vista opened.) DCA is getting better, but Disneyland will always be the star of the show.

I think the main goal is not only to increase the attendance of DCA but also to even out the overall attendance of the whole resort between both parks to help the over crowding of the Disneyland resort.

Anaheim only really needs about 5 million more to even out to the Tokyo resort which also has two parks, the problem in Anaheim is that Disneyland attendance is much higher than DCA.

Now I don't know if that is because here in Anaheim they count only the first click and most people would go to Disneyland first. I am not sure how they do it in Tokyo. I also wonder if the ticketing system in Tokyo helps also spread out the crowds. Do they still force people to go to one park one day and then another park the other when buying multi day tickets?

Maybe somebody familiar with Tokyo would know. Here in Anaheim multi day passports are valid for any park for all days

22,278,000 anaheim
    27,000,000 tTokyo

• You're late for TEAAA!!!!

As said above, Disneyland will never suffer and DCA's success will be beneficial to both parks. Disneyland still gets WAY more attendance than DCA does and probably always will. Kinda sad to think that no matter what DCA does, it'll never amount to anything better than it's older brother/sister.

Also have to remember that a lot of people still don't even know DCA is there, or didn't know it was a separate park from Disneyland. I still meet people who think California Adventure is a land and are amazed to hear it's a separate ticket park. These might be people across the nation or from out of the country but they still do exist. But EVERYONE knows Disneyland. And there's also people that even still mistake Disneyworld for Disneyland.

DL could actually slip according to official attendance numbers based on "first clicks." It's not clear how the TEA attendance numbers are estimated, but if they do take first clicks into consideration you could see DL dropping to 15 mil and DCA catapulting to 8-9 mil.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by sheetz View Post
    DL could actually slip according to official attendance numbers based on "first clicks." It's not clear how the TEA attendance numbers are estimated, but if they do take first clicks into consideration you could see DL dropping to 15 mil and DCA catapulting to 8-9 mil.
    Depends on which park gets updated when. Currently DCA has been the hot spot to be due to all the additions and renovations made there. If Disneyland were to add one or two new E tickets or something of similar quality, it would even out the playing field for a brief time.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

If we're talking first clicks, then we've also got to take into account that Disneyland previously opened two hours earlier than DCA. Of course people are going there first.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    If we're talking first clicks, then we've also got to take into account that Disneyland previously opened two hours earlier than DCA. Of course people are going there first.
    It's strange that even in the past 2 years with the sharp rise in DCA's popularity that it still opened at 10am. The cynical part of me is wondering if this is Disney's way of manipulating attendance numbers to make DCA 2.0's attendance increase look even more impressive than it would be otherwise.

• Pilot EdForceOne

If Disney actually cared about attendance numbers as seen by TEA/others.. they'd publish their own. Disney is going to be more interested in longer tickets, more tickets, spending and getting those hotels full.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

It's strange that even in the past 2 years with the sharp rise in DCA's popularity that it still opened at 10am. The cynical part of me is wondering if this is Disney's way of manipulating attendance numbers to make DCA 2.0's attendance increase look even more impressive than it would be otherwise.
    I doubt it, Disney doesn't report the real numbers, so there's nothing official to manipulate. More importantly, the thing that Disney is really looking for will be increased profits from the entire resort. Shareholders want to hear that the investments in the parks are paying off financially. Attendance patterns are an operational problem that the improvements in DCA are meant to help solve. But the exact performance numbers of each division are released and usually an explanation of the changes in performance in each resort. So investors want to see increased profit in the Parks Division and at DLR. They won't be that concerned with which park the people are visiting.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I doubt it, Disney doesn't report the real numbers, so there's nothing official to manipulate. More importantly, the thing that Disney is really looking for will be increased profits from the entire resort. Shareholders want to hear that the investments in the parks are paying off financially.

But even though we all know that it's spending that counts the mainstream press isn't necessarily so savvy, and they do make a big deal about the TEA numbers. Just in the past few days I've read any number of stories talking about how DCA was still struggling because it only drew 6+ million visitors vs DL's 16 mil and wondering if Cars Land could finally "fix" it. Yet anyone who's been in DCA in recent years knows it's already seen a dramatic turnaround that isn't necessarily reflected in the TEA numbers.

• Pilot EdForceOne

But even though we all know that it's spending that counts the mainstream press isn't necessarily so savvy, and they do make a big deal about the TEA numbers. Just in the past few days I've read any number of stories talking about how DCA was still struggling because it only drew 6+ million visitors vs DL's 16 mil and wondering if Cars Land could finally "fix" it. Yet anyone who's been in DCA in recent years knows it's already seen a dramatic turnaround that isn't necessarily reflected in the TEA numbers.
    Disney reports to shareholders.. not the mainstream press. And the shareholders have not shown any real coupling to TEA reports. TEA reports get some coverage in some travel media for a week once a year and never make headlines. Online theme park fans make more out of it than any main stream media does. Know what makes press where it counts? Corporate press releases. Disney could print or leak any # of stats that would bury any potential TEA estimates in a heartbeat.

Disney shareholders don't care about attendance - they care about PERFORMANCE and future PERFORMANCE. Performance is not measured by gate clicks.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Performance is not measured by gate clicks.
    Performance may not measured by gate clicks, but couldn't future performance be effected by buzz created as a result of an increase in gate clicks?

I think a lot of the hype surrounding WWoHP has been due to the increase in IOA's attendance and not just the resort's financials. Had IOA seen a 50% increase in spending with attendance remaining the same I don't know if it would be perceived by the public as such a must see attraction as it is now.

Plain and simple DCA needs to make a lot more money. They'll compare how much more money this very pricey expansion makes them compared to other expansions and new attractions such as Flik's Fun Fair, the Tower of Terror, World of Color, etc. If it makes them a lot more money then they will be more willing to spend major money in the future, which in turn could affect any rumored Tomorrowland or Frontierland expansions. Now, if DCA doesn't make as much money as they hoped and all the increased attendance numbers turn out to be APs that don't buy anything, then you could see another period of the powers that be afraid to pull the trigger on a massive and costly project. Such a thing happened after the poor performance of EuroDisney and that led to Tomorrowland 1998 and the original DCA.