• Joe Flowers

Joe's Quick Cars Land and Voices of Liberty trip report - with photos of course

After such a long wait, Cars Land is finally open!

Theresa and I were trying to decide if we should go on opening day, June 15th or the next day. After hearing about all the massive lines and huge crowds for opening day of Cars Land, I think we made the right choice. We arrived to the park right around 11am. We drove right up to the parking structure and didn't have to wait in any lines to park. So far so good. We walked right up to a tram and immediately boarded. Even better. The day is going great so far.

We walked through security (no line) and then into Disney California Adventure and again there was no line to get in to the park. Buena Vista street looks great! All the new buildings and shops look great. We like the new statue of Walt and Mickey. There was a line for photos so we didn't get to examine the statue that closely, but it is cool that you can walk right up to it.

We watched one of the new shows on Buena Vista street. Lots of singing and dancing, and Mickey Mouse even talks! He moves his mouth and blinks his eyes along with singing and dancing. I'm loving how open this area feels now.

We walked back to Cars Land, but of course Theresa stops off at the fruit. Here's the grape vines growing by the winery. All the grapes are getting big! And just like every other year, when we come see them in the fall, we'll lament how they're just left on the vine to shrivel and die. Oh well.

Welcome to Cars Land!

It might look crowded, but it could be so much worse. We've been to the Magic Kingdom on New Years and to Tokyo Disneyland on a weekend. These crowds aren't bad at all. Considering how new this place is, we were thankful that there was some breathing room as we were walking around.

The place looks like it came straight out of the movie.

The Cozy Cone Motel has some great food selections. It will be a goal this summer to try something at each cone.

Today we decided to try the popcorn. We loved trying all the flavors of popcorn when we were in Japan, and when we learned they would be making a few different flavors here, we were excited to give it a try. I'm not sure if it's widely known or not, but when you get to the counter, you can ask for a sample of each flavor and they've give you some in one of these little black cups.

We bought the Dill popcorn, and it was actually pretty tasty. It had a yummy savory flavor. I also got a Doc Hudson Grape Tonic that was great!

One of the really popular hats based on one of the new rides in the park. Luigi's Flying Tires.

I wore my Lightning McQueen hat that I bought from Disneyland a year or more ago. I got comments on it all day and lots of people asked where I got it. I was a little surprised they weren't selling these hats, but was happy because mine was unique. The whole rest of the day I didn't see another person wearing it.

Theresa's excited to be walking into Ornament Valley. We didn't end up going on any of the rides. For the 3 rides, the wait times were 120 minutes, 90 minutes and 45 minutes. We'll go on them when it's a little less crowded, or when we can get a fastpass. For now, we just loved seeing all the new sights.

Just hitchhiking along Route 66.

Theresa felt like an iced coffee, so we stopped by the brand new Starbucks that has opened inside California Adventure. We ended up getting a Mocha Coconut Frappuccino that was tasty.

It wasn't just California Adventure that was getting new stuff. Disneyland was getting in on the game too.
    One of our favorite parts of EPCOT in Florida are the Voices of Liberty that perform in the American Pavilion.
    Well for a limited engagement, they'll be singing in the Main Street Opera house. They sing a couple songs outside to draw people in.

Then they do a 15 minute show inside. Nice! There's lots of crowd interaction and clapping along with the show. They sounded great!

We enjoyed it so much, we stopped by Guest Services and filled out a comment card telling them that. Here's hoping they keep them past September 16th.

It was a fantastic day to just walk through the Disney Resort and see all the great new stuff they've added. It's going to be a great summer at Disneyland Resort!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe's Quick Cars Land and Voices of Liberty trip report

Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them! I just wish the Voices of Liberty were going to be around for longer than the summer season... maybe if they prove to be popular they will keep them around, at least on the weekends year round!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing them! I just wish the Voices of Liberty were going to be around for longer than the summer season... maybe if they prove to be popular they will keep them around, at least on the weekends year round!
    That's my hope as well. I told them in my comment card at Guest Services that I'd love for them to be around past September 16th. Weekends sound like a great idea to me!
    I'm hoping people aren't put off by the 35 minute commitment for the Lincoln show. I know when we were there ~15 people left as soon as the singing was over.

Nice job, and great pictures!

Re: Joe's Quick Cars Land and Voices of Liberty trip report - with photos of course

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post

..!
    Nice Mickey Ears

I noticed Mickey's mouth moving and eyes blinking in the Soundsational parade along with his dialog. Is this the first time Mickey's been "animated?"

• Minion

lol, that tier hat, it's so silly. omg. omg. the things disney comes up with

• Minion

Love the hats! At first, I thought you were wearing a red bicycle helmet!

• Not the Fallen

Love the pictures. They came out great!
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

• formerly very helpful

Great pics! One thing I've noticed on all the photos I've seen from the opening days madness. As crowded as it was, EVERYBODY seems to be smiling. I'll take that as a good sign.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    I noticed Mickey's mouth moving and eyes blinking in the Soundsational parade along with his dialog. Is this the first time Mickey's been "animated?"
    Nope - they've had him animated at the WDW castle shows for a couple of years now. Maybe it's the first time he's been animated at DL???

Re: Joe's Quick Cars Land and Voices of Liberty trip report - with photos of course

Quote Originally Posted by mre200200 View Post
    After such a long wait, Cars Land is finally open!
    It was a fantastic day to just walk through the Disney Resort and see all the great new stuff they've added. It's going to be a great summer at Disneyland Resort!
    Great report!

I'm really bummed that I couldn't have been there for opening day. I first heard about Luigi's Flying Tires in 2008 when I was doing a book that had a chapter on the old DL Flying Saucer Ride ("The Saucer Fleet" which you can still get from ARA Press). Even though I was past deadline for the book, I managed to put an epilogue on that chapter that speculated about the ride and ended with "...you can be sure I'll be first in line on opening day!" Alas, even though I've had plenty of warning, I have neither the time nor the resources for a trip to DL right now.

Your report is a great substitute until I can get there in person.

- Jack

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

Awesome pics! Thanks so much for sharing, it made me more excited for my trip next week!

and they lived happily ever after

• Joe Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    Nice Mickey Ears
    Ha, cool! I didn't even notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Great pics! One thing I've noticed on all the photos I've seen from the opening days madness. As crowded as it was, EVERYBODY seems to be smiling. I'll take that as a good sign.
    That was us for sure. Even though we didn't ride anything, we were happy just to be there. Everything looks so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Green View Post
    Awesome pics! Thanks so much for sharing, it made me more excited for my trip next week!
    Glad you liked them! I'm going back on Saturday! Hope your trip is awesome too!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Fantastic pics and report! Haha man, that lightning hat sure looked silly back then. But now it looks pretty awesome compared to the tire hat!! lol

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html