Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Our Vintage Style Opening Day Experience

Part 1
    WOW! What a day this was. Disney has done it again. Buena Vista St and Cars Land are both fantastic. My family and I had a great time on this outing. Here is a recap of our day.

We came up Thursday afternoon and got a hotel down the street from the resort...usually we like to stay at Disneyland Hotel, but prices are through the roof this time of year so we opted for close hotel. Free happy hour was a bonus! After reading the Disney blog following posts on Facebook about the lines that were already forming, I will admit...I was starting to second guess the decision to do opening day. To be honest, I didn't really sleep all that well.
    We got up the next morning, gott dressed and we headed down to the shuttle. As always we garnered all sorts of looks that ranged from people looking at us like we had bananas coming out of our ears to ear to ear grins. We got to the Plaza between Disneyland and California Adventure a little before 8 AM. Now, we knew there had been all night campers in the plaza so we expected a huge crowd. Here is what it looked like:

At this point we are actually encouraged because there were no lines outside of the baggage check barricade. We hadn't eaten yet so we decided that we'd hit the La Brea Bakery and eat breakfast. By the time we ate and walked out of the restaurant, the line had extended the ENTIRE length of Downtown Disney. So now we're thinking we really messed up by going to get breakfast. At that point we figured we were not going to get in and that was it. So, we decided to just get in the OTHER bag checking line and would just go to Disneyland and hopefully the line would get smaller in a few hours. After about 15 minutes waiting in the "Disneyland Only" baggage check line...we went through the gate expecting to get ushered to the Disneyland gates by security or barricades.

WRONG!!!!!!!!
    We walked through the baggage check line and there were no barricades...no chains...no security directing us to the Disneyland gates. We strolled over the DCA gates in disbelief to find no real line:

5 minutes later....we were in 1927 Los Angeles.........MINDBLOWING!!!

Once in, the ladies made a pit stop...got a locker and we waited for some others to show up. They were handing out "today's paper" just inside the gates. So I told my boy to get a couple papers for us to check out. Without skipping a beat...the newsie (sort of) handed my boy his whole stack and told him to start handing them out!!! THIS WAS AWESOME!!!

UPDATE 27 AUG 2012...turns out...this CM was actually the set decorator for BVS. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...park-part-one/

The cast member looked at me for approval after a couple minutes and I said..."PUT THAT BOY TO WORK!". So he handed out the entire stack...you should have seen people converging to take pictures. It was so great. At this point...I was sold and we were only about 20 yards in the gates.

---------- Post added 06-18-2012 at 10:07 AM ----------

Part 2
    So after we got over the initial shock of how awesome it was...we all gathered up to figure out what we wanted to do. Just then we hear the DING-DING of a trolley car. Here she came...rolling up the street towards us...the Red Car Trolley!

Just about then...the rest of our gang showed up!

We were so ready to hop on the trolley so we got in line...but alas...the "Newsies" street show was about to start and it incorporates the other trolley that runs the route, so they shut down service during the show. Oh well...we'll hit it later. Then we started down Buena Vista St and it felt like we were on back lot of a movie studio.

We crossed under "Hyperion Bridge" and there she was...Carthay Theater in the distance.

Few more yards and we were in Carthay Circle...the centerpiece of Buena Vista St.

---------- Post added 06-18-2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

More to come!
    Last edited by BroadSword; 08-27-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Re: Our Vintage Style Opening Day Experience

You guys looked great! I'm just wondering, are you a part of the Dapper Days bunch?

Can't wait to hear more!

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Great pictures!

Though I'm a bit surprised they let you in dressed like this.

Seems to be this issue was brought up in a previous thread (regarding the tinkerbell girl that was kicked out of the park) and the Disney costume policy.

Did you notice any people shadowing you?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Maximus...we missed the Dapper Day event due to sickness, but plan on going to the September event if at all possible.

Wren.....the cast members (uniformed and plain clothes) loved what we were doing. Nothing they can really say since we were not in costumes or look like Disney characters. This was all original vintage clothing. In fact, Disney personnel took photos of us and want to use them for something or other. We signed image releases for them to use the photos.

• socal native

Hey, welcome to MiceChat! Great Trip Report! Looking forward to reading more from your perspective, since I've only heard one side so far! Lookin' good, sorry I wasn't able to be there.

I was there opening day and I clearly remember seeing your lovely family. Apparently I was in line for the merchandising event next to the Hyperion and the others in line including CM were complimenting the way your family was dressed. Thanks for sharing your great trip report cant wait to see the next part

Quote Originally Posted by BroadSword View Post
    In fact, Disney personnel took photos of us and want to use them for something or other. We signed image releases for them to use the photos.
    I found a photo with some of your party on the official Disney California Adventure Facebook page.

Disney California Adventure Grand Re-Opening | Facebook

Wren.....the cast members (uniformed and plain clothes) loved what we were doing. Nothing they can really say since we were not in costumes or look like Disney characters. This was all original vintage clothing. In fact, Disney personnel took photos of us and want to use them for something or other. We signed image releases for them to use the photos.
    That sounds great, BroadSword. The only thing vintage that I have right now is my '40s, '50s vintage fedora which I wore to DCA for the Grand Opening. I left the park at 9:00 PM and walked around Downtown Disney for a while. In The World of Disney a Cast Member complimented me on my hat which was the perfect ending to a wonderful day!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Maximus...we missed the Dapper Day event due to sickness, but plan on going to the September event if at all possible.

If only the world got spiffed up like that more often...
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Thats good to hear then, glad they didnt pull the whole "People mistaking you for cast members" thing and ask you guys to leave.

You all did a great job and fit in really well with the surroundings.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

You all look fabulous.

This could be a very interesting development. What if a grass roots movement developed where Disney guests started doing this more often in BVS? I love it, particularly because it is such a classy look. Throw in the swing dancers now...

Quote Originally Posted by Julieandtheboys View Post
    You all look fabulous.

This could be a very interesting development. What if a grass roots movement developed where Disney guests started doing this more often in BVS? I love it, particularly because it is such a classy look. Throw in the swing dancers now...
    Julie...I certainly hope so.

There was supposed to be a lot more people coming in vintage attire. We had facebook event page set-up and had over 50 people say they were coming. I'm not really sure what happened. It could have been the enormous line through Downtown Disney that threw people off. Unless you walked all the way up to the baggage check line and went in the "Disneyland only" lines...I could see people just deciding to come back another time.
    Last edited by BroadSword; 06-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

You guys fit perfectly on BVS. You all looked fantastic. Great job!

I love this! I love the beauty of Disney parks, especially Buena Vista Street, and nothing clashes more with it then seeing someone who's barely clothed or dressed inappropriately. I appreciate people who dress like they care about the place! And your kids look so happy, glad you guys had fun and thanks for posting!
    Last edited by disneyland55; 06-18-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Wow! You all look fantastic.

So much for there being a problem with dressing up. Sounds like the CM's loved you and even put your boy to work! how cool is that.

Thanks for sharing the TR. Would love to see more.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast