View Poll Results: Is WoC too long?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I think it could use some editing.

    50 43.48%
  • NO - It's fine as is... or can be longer.

    53 46.09%
  • NO PREFERENCE - I don't care either way.

    12 10.43%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 76 to 90 of 90
  1. #76

    • I am number 4 of 999
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,134

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Agree. Sometimes I catch myself zoning out, like I'm falling asleep standing up and I snap back before I fall over and think, "Is this show STILL going on??". If it's not going to follow a cohesive storyline, then it needs to be 15-18 minutes in length.

    ---------- Post added 07-04-2012 at 04:32 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I can guarantee that if you polled the audience they probably would have said the extended pirates segment was the best when in fact the Pocahontas scene is.
    The extended Pirates scene was the BEST because the World of Color team had an entire year to play with their new toy. I believe they were still changing the original show DAYS before it was supposed to debut to the media. To me, the Pirates scene is a breathtaking example of what the technology AND the production team is capable of when given the time and opportunity.
    Last edited by ghosty4; 07-04-2012 at 03:34 AM.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

  2. #77

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    749

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    The extended Pirates scene was the BEST because the World of Color team had an entire year to play with their new toy. I believe they were still changing the original show DAYS before it was supposed to debut to the media. To me, the Pirates scene is a breathtaking example of what the technology AND the production team is capable of when given the time and opportunity.
    I thought TRONcore was the best but the newest version of Pirates follows. Agree with everything else.

    I wish they would add fireworks for the finale.

  3. #78

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    Agree. Sometimes I catch myself zoning out, like I'm falling asleep standing up and I snap back before I fall over and think, "Is this show STILL going on??". If it's not going to follow a cohesive storyline, then it needs to be 15-18 minutes in length.



    I think that's the trick. We've all seen these films before so it's difficult to take in familiar footage and songs at the end of a very long day. The slower paced segments need to be at the front end of the show and it should just keep building and building from there.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  4. #79

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    12

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    I don't care for the Pirates section at all. I also wish they took out the Fantasia 2000 bit.

    However, it would be cool if they replaced these bits with something like a extended Bambi part (my favorite Disney animated film) or a Pinnochio part ("When You Wish Upon a Star" with a Monstro bit at the end would be cool). I hope against hope that Ratatouille would be featured in some kind of way?

  5. #80

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
    I don't care for the Pirates section at all. I also wish they took out the Fantasia 2000 bit.
    Odd thing about the Fantasia 2000 segment, when I heard that it was in there, I was ecstatic. I thought it would be an amazing finale moment where all the trees sprout from the ground... you can easily do that with all the fountains building to a huge climax... but they really toned it down for it making it a much slower moment in the show than I would have expected.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  6. #81

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post

    The extended Pirates scene was the BEST because the World of Color team had an entire year to play with their new toy. I believe they were still changing the original show DAYS before it was supposed to debut to the media. To me, the Pirates scene is a breathtaking example of what the technology AND the production team is capable of when given the time and opportunity.
    I disagree because that scene was created simply to showcase the numerous effects the system was capable of, it does very little in the way of creating shapes or demonstrating the story. The best scenes which actually paint a picture and represent the specific film best is the Mother Nature and Pocahontas scenes. You can literally see the blooming flowers and butterflies that the fountains create.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Odd thing about the Fantasia 2000 segment, when I heard that it was in there, I was ecstatic. I thought it would be an amazing finale moment where all the trees sprout from the ground... you can easily do that with all the fountains building to a huge climax... but they really toned it down for it making it a much slower moment in the show than I would have expected.

    Why would the Mother Nature scene be overly powerful, it's suppose to be peaceful and calm? That was what the Firebird segment was all about until it was foolishly removed. Even in the movie this is how they create a balance.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.

  7. #82

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I disagree because that scene was created simply to showcase the numerous effects the system was capable of, it does very little in the way of creating shapes or demonstrating the story. The best scenes which actually paint a picture and represent the specific film best is the Mother Nature and Pocahontas scenes.
    Right again. Not everything is gonna be flashy bright A.D.D. stuff. Some people can handle a quiet moment, that lets the story come threw. Again the difference between F! and WOC. One is the kiddy spectacle show, (which is fine), the other goes for something more. This is why movies that bomb win Best Picture, and Transformers makes the most money.

  8. #83

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    This is why movies that bomb win Best Picture, and Transformers makes the most money.
    That's a good analogy, the best films in Hollywood generally are not big box office hits, they are largely unappreciated in favor of special effects extravaganza movies.

  9. #84

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,627

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    That's a good analogy, the best films in Hollywood generally are not big box office hits, they are largely unappreciated in favor of special effects extravaganza movies.
    art vs product

    WoC is a product to entertain - not created to be an artistic expression
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  10. #85

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    65

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoarinMatt View Post
    This is always my point. Disney is about so much more than rides: it's about the experience. If I wanted to just rides rides, I can go to Six Flags or Knott's. Disney, on the other hand, is about beauty and show, and World of Color embraces all of this. I love World of Color. I can't remember a Disney show (including Fantasmic, and I love Fantasmic) ever making my jaw drop as much as World of Color. It's beautiful, and tugs on my emotions. I think it's absolutely perfect.

    I felt it lacked emotional depth and was more a journey through emotions of a person suffering from ADD. I wish it had a story to it rather than clips. A journey through color would be far preferable.

  11. #86

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Why would the Mother Nature scene be overly powerful, it's suppose to be peaceful and calm? That was what the Firebird segment was all about until it was foolishly removed. Even in the movie this is how they create a balance.
    Firebird in the film was grand. Beautiful. If there was a scene that would make an amazing World of Color sequence complete with fire, death, calm... and then rebirth, it's this one.

    It just wasn't handled correctly in World of Color. You say that scene was "foolishly removed" supporting our argument that the show needs work.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #87

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    art vs product

    WoC is a product to entertain - not created to be an artistic expression
    Sure it is, just like a movie is meant to be an artistic expression; it is both artistic and a form of entertainment. You think the show designer isn't doing something artistic when he animates the specific scenes with WOC's fountains? It is just as much of an art form as drawing a cartoon for a film.

    ---------- Post added 07-05-2012 at 03:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Firebird in the film was grand. Beautiful. If there was a scene that would make an amazing World of Color sequence complete with fire, death, calm... and then rebirth, it's this one.

    It just wasn't handled correctly in World of Color. You say that scene was "foolishly removed" supporting our argument that the show needs work.
    Never said WOC was perfect, quite the opposite. I still think removing the Firebird/Night On Bald Mountain scene was a major mistake. The Lion King segment could also be better but I don't think the death portion is the reason for this. Dory and Marlin should be minimized because it is simply annoying after a while and lasts too long. Wall-E needs to be restored by bringing back the domes in this particular segment.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-05-2012 at 02:40 PM.

  13. #88

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,627

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Sure it is, just like a movie is meant to be an artistic expression; it is both artistic and a form of entertainment
    You cited awards as indicators - they are really two parallel points that don't cross.

    The awards are to recognize the art or technical merit of the films - the ART
    The box office receipts are about the PRODUCT - does the product do what it set out to do

    That is why we see some films highly acclaimed by awards - while they tank at the box office. The awards are not based on successful product, but recognizing the trades.

    It's not that the audience is too stupid - it's that movie going audience is not there to appreciate the trade. The trade is the means to the end - the product.

    Just like Disney.. you can built the most beautiful, artistic thing in the world.. and still be a dud.. because the purpose was not to build art - but to build a product.

    Art can make the product better. The product should not be devoid of art. But all that ultimately matters to the audience is the product itself.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  14. #89

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You cited awards as indicators - they are really two parallel points that don't cross.

    The awards are to recognize the art or technical merit of the films - the ART
    The box office receipts are about the PRODUCT - does the product do what it set out to do

    That is why we see some films highly acclaimed by awards - while they tank at the box office. The awards are not based on successful product, but recognizing the trades.

    It's not that the audience is too stupid - it's that movie going audience is not there to appreciate the trade. The trade is the means to the end - the product.

    Just like Disney.. you can built the most beautiful, artistic thing in the world.. and still be a dud.. because the purpose was not to build art - but to build a product.

    Art can make the product better. The product should not be devoid of art. But all that ultimately matters to the audience is the product itself.


    Precisely correct! There's a reason why Fantasmic! has been going for 20 years with MINIMAL changes. The changes executed would be considered "plussing" and just perfecting what was already there. As far as I know, no scene has been removed and no scene has been added. It is precisely the same as it ever was.

    World of Color is in its second year and has gone through countless edits and changes. Some permanent. But the truth is, nobody really remembers because the show itself is mostly forgettable.

    Of course we can argue that World of Color being a more recent technology has the means to change and reinvent itself often. I actually do appreciate this aspect of the show and don't mind the temporary add-ons here and there. But what it hasn't done yet is to make permanent changes for the better.


    I'm betting that guests coming to the Disneyland resort who get show passes for World of Color want to see a breathtaking water show. They're not there to see clips of movies they already own. They're there specifically for a water show. The guests are there for the product first and foremost. What they expect is something artistic but not one that requires a deep thought. This isn't the same as dumbing down the show. This is just making something 100% entertaining the entire way.



    I'm a HUGE Disney fan and I love every single film they pulled from. My parents aren't. We all agreed that the show got dull at too many places. I've seen the show countless times. They've seen it once. The show needs editing.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  15. #90

    • I am number 4 of 999
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,134

    Re: World of Color - Too long?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The best scenes which actually paint a picture and represent the specific film best is the Mother Nature and Pocahontas scenes. You can literally see the blooming flowers and butterflies that the fountains create.
    Oh, I know. And do you know HOW I know? Because during that scene I'm always like, "Look the flower is going to bloom! OOOOOOOOOOOH!! Did you see that?! Do you see the flower?! SEE THAT!! It's a butterfly flapping it's wings!!! LOOK!! LOOK!!". Seriously. I "fan girl" over the scene because I love it. You know what's funny? I'm PRETTY SURE the butterfly or the flower, or both is a fountain exclusive to Disney's set up, and isn't used anywhere else in the show. Do you know what that means? (And pardon me if I giggle a little bit...)

    The butterfly and flower fountains "showcase the numerous effects the system [is] capable of".
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] World of Color Fastpass and Picnic review (and other stuff too)
    By sir clinksalot in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 02:58 PM
  2. MiceChat's Been in the DMCA Too Long!
    By TinkPink in forum The Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 10:00 PM
  3. World of color POTC movie
    By FantasyWatersDude in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •