View Poll Results: Is WoC too long?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I think it could use some editing.

50 43.48%
  • NO - It's fine as is... or can be longer.

53 46.09%
  • NO PREFERENCE - I don't care either way.

12 10.43%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

World of Color - Too long?

This weekend I brought my parents to see World of Color for their first time. They tend to be pretty picky about entertainment but love spectacles such as water shows and fireworks. They love the fireworks and they love Fantasmic. But when asking them about World of Color, they both actually felt that a lot of it was good but a lot of it didn't do anything for them.

And oddly enough, it's how I've felt about the show since 2010.

I like World of Color but I would prefer to love it, but not in its current form. I think it needs to be edited by at least 5 minutes. Couple reasons for this:

1. Water shows should be like fireworks. All spectacle and music. No story needed. There's too many moments from films that really slow the show to a stop and are unnecessary.

2. Fantasmic! uses water screens to transition between scenes. World of Color relies on them almost too much. The water fountains should be the star, not the projections.

3. One too many finale's, it's hard to tell when the end of the show is, which actually makes the show feel longer than it already is.

It wouldn't be hard to fix, but I really think World of Color would do better to have a good mix of songs in medley form instead of projecting the entire song. - like the fireworks!

So what do you think? Agree? Disagree?
    Last edited by Coheteboy; 06-18-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Re: World of Color - Too long?

I agree; I would shave 5 minutes off. I won't get into exactly where but I'm sure everybody would pretty much delete the same segments.
    I LOVE the Pocahontas pieces, but it's true, the end of Colors of the Wind feels like a finale!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

There are just too many segments that show down the show....for me only real slow down for for Fantasmic is the whale parts....while WOC has.....the bugs life segment, Nemo/the whales, Wall-E and Id even say the Aladdin and for me especially the Pirates segment.

Even if I like a movie....sometimes they just didn't do it right I don't know really the why or how...but I just like Fantasmic and the 50th Fireworks better...I guess they just had better flows

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

I've seen WOC about 30 times and now I'm officially bored of it.

I still think they should add fireworks to the finale scene only.

They should remove the Finding Nemo scene, a whole new world and Lion King.
    My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

I am in the minority, but I HATE World of Color. I mean, I actually truly dislike it. It is a bunch of Disney clips projected onto water. What's the big deal about that? For everyone who used to criticize DCA as having too many film-based attractions -- here's another! It is not anything like Fantasmic or Illuminations, which it clearly aspires to be. There's no "California" in it (but there is very little anywhere at DCA), and the "World of Color" concept means nothing to most people. Nor is it really conveyed in the show. It should just be called "World of Disney"! The fountains are nice, but they aren't even covered by the water, which just looks weird throughout the day. Can't they at LEAST turn on the fountains during the day to hide that fact? The Bellagio is more impressive as a fountain show; Illuminations is more impressive as a nighttime spectacle; and Fantasmic is FAR better as a Disney show. And, yes, on top of all of that, it's at least 8-10 minutes too long.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Definite slowdowns for me in no particular order, but I'll list them...

1. Marlin & Dory

2. Up balloons

3. A Whole New World is too long

4. Pocahontas scene is great... but maybe too long.

5. Woody & Buzz

6. Heimlich

7. Mufasa's death scene - I mean come on... do we really need to see a death in World of Color?

8. Wall-E got pretty slow too.

9. I'd also argue that the song from Enchanted doesn't quite fit.

---------- Post added 06-18-2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    I am in the minority, but I HATE World of Color. I mean, I actually truly dislike it. It is a bunch of Disney clips projected onto water. What's the big deal about that? For everyone who used to criticize DCA as having too many film-based attractions -- here's another! It is not anything like Fantasmic or Illuminations, which it clearly aspires to be. There's no "California" in it (but there is very little anywhere at DCA), and the "World of Color" concept means nothing to most people. Nor is it really conveyed in the show. It should just be called "World of Disney"! The fountains are nice, but they aren't even covered by the water, which just looks weird throughout the day. Can't they at LEAST turn on the fountains during the day to hide that fact? The Bellagio is more impressive as a fountain show; Illuminations is more impressive as a nighttime spectacle; and Fantasmic is FAR better as a Disney show. And, yes, on top of all of that, it's at least 8-10 minutes too long.

You're in luck! The fountains aren't visible during the day.

But throughout the afternoon, there's a new water show with Goofy conducting the fountains with music. I haven't seen it yet but I think that addresses at least some of your concerns.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Jack of All Trades

... The fountains are nice, but they aren't even covered by the water, which just looks weird throughout the day. Can't they at LEAST turn on the fountains during the day to hide that fact? ...
    They are now.
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• Love HD videos!

20 to 35 mins from Disneyland, Knotts, Universal, Raging water

The fountains are nice, but they aren't even covered by the water, which just looks weird throughout the day. Can't they at LEAST turn on the fountains during the day to hide that fact? The Bellagio is more impressive as a fountain show
    Well, here's the new daytime water show I recorded.

My Brand New Youtube channel -"SoCal ATTRACTIONS 360"
    http://www.youtube.com/SoCalAttractions360

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Definite slowdowns for me in no particular order, but I'll list them...

1. Marlin & Dory

2. Up balloons

3. A Whole New World is too long

4. Pocahontas scene is great... but maybe too long.

5. Woody & Buzz

6. Heimlich

7. Mufasa's death scene - I mean come on... do we really need to see a death in World of Color?

8. Wall-E got pretty slow too.

9. I'd also argue that the song from Enchanted doesn't quite fit.

---------- Post added 06-18-2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

You're in luck! The fountains aren't visible during the day.

But throughout the afternoon, there's a new water show with Goofy conducting the fountains with music. I haven't seen it yet but I think that addresses at least some of your concerns.
    The toy Story part is funny...and many people clap at that part...its kinda like the "snow white" of Pixar so I'd keep it in

Also for the Enchanted music I know I like the song and SOO many girls I know LOVE that song and that's there favorite part

I agree the Lion King part is just not worth the pay off for me...id rather of had a tribute of sad parts in MANY movies...Ray in princess in the frog, Bambi's mom etc...but the way they do it...to me is not as sad as the movie so it kinda a pointless scene

The only part I feel is really unnecessary is the Marlin and Dory dialogue. I enjoy the rest of the show as is.

Yep. World of Color is waaaaay too long. Proper show should be 23 minutes max. Then one coda: either a Disney song for the show that was cut but can be put in as a nightly changing encore or whatever publicity segment they have for an upcoming movie, then the post-show display.

They need to cut the movies that have two segments represented: one of the Little Mermaid's and one of Aladdin's and shorten the finale, probably that montage segment where characters are thrown up on screen for no apparent reason and the Sorceror Mickey's appearance (it's too Fantasmic anyway).

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    So what do you think? Agree? Disagree?
    Any time I bring it up on video.. I can't stand to watch more than a few minutes of it. On video it simply isn't engaging and I bore of it very quickly. I think I would have a hard time staying engaged in the content itself for the whole thing in person. But haven't been back west yet to see
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

5 minutes? I'd shave off 10 minutes. It's entirely too long IMO. So long that the last time we saw it was NYE (well new years day technically).

• "What? What?"

It's funny... While watching it Saturday night I was thinking about this. I don't it's too long but rather some parts really drag and loose tempo.

On top of the dragging parts of the show, there is very few good transitions. Most of them are a fade to black and back up type transititons. This causes it to seem longer then it is.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

The Brave addition made it worse!

it really needs pyro. The 4th of July pre show is awesome... everything else got boring real fast.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast