Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

I think you are assigning motive to people's actions. I think people just miss the time when people dressed up to go to disney and they want to recapture that feeling. Most are just doing for themselves, not to detract from the park or even get attention. that's like saying that all people with tattoos are just trying to get attention and shouldnt be allowed into the parks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    I think you are assigning motive to people's actions. I think people just miss the time when people dressed up to go to disney and they want to recapture that feeling. Most are just doing for themselves, not to detract from the park or even get attention. that's like saying that all people with tattoos are just trying to get attention and shouldnt be allowed into the parks.
    I completely agree with you on this.

Motive isn't the issue. When costumed guests can be confused for the performers or cast members, then the show quality is out of Disney's control. That can lead to all sorts of undesirable situations.

There's nothing wrong with dressing up to visit the park. But there is a problem with dressing up to be part of the show in the parks.

I think 20s era clothing is far from being considered a costume. People may just like wearing that style of clothing, they probably aren't imitating a character at all.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I totally agree. A large group of friends with whom I'm traveling to the parks in August held a 20s-themed party last night (the timing is coincidental...we're Disney fans for sure, but were NOT celebrating the opening of BVS) and kicked around the idea of wearing our 20s finery when we have dinner at the CCT during our trip. We probably won't do it just because of the hassle of bringing all the extra clothes (and for the guys, the serious possibility of clothing-induced heatstroke), but if we did, it would simply be to have an opportunity to make a fun memory, not for any sinister or selfish ulterior motive.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I think 20s era clothing is far from being considered a costume. People may just like wearing that style of clothing, they probably aren't imitating a character at all.
    So it's just COINCIDENCE... that they are on BVS dressed this way and not around the parks dressed this way any other time??
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Motive isn't the issue. When costumed guests can be confused for the performers or cast members, then the show quality is out of Disney's control. That can lead to all sorts of undesirable situations.

There's nothing wrong with dressing up to visit the park. But there is a problem with dressing up to be part of the show in the parks.
    Should Disney then get rid of their Halloween parties then for fear that someone could get in the way of theme? I understand that's the purpose of people dressing up, but if people are going to take it to extremes that no one should dress up in the parks, then they should get rid of it.

Should people not wear western attire then when in Frontierland?

This seems to be turning into something that really isn't an issue. Making drama over nothing. What type of issue is there if a guest mistakes another guest for a cast member? Not much.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    So it's just COINCIDENCE... that they are on BVS dressed this way and not around the parks dressed this way any other time??
    I'm just saying that there is a huge difference between clothing style and dressing up in a costume.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    Should Disney then get rid of their Halloween parties then for fear that someone could get in the way of theme?

Should people not wear western attire then when in Frontierland?

This seems to be turning into something that really isn't an issue. Making drama over nothing. What type of issue is there if a guest mistakes another guest for a cast member? Not much.
    On the costume thing, there was a huge thread over this issue when someone had too good of a Hat Box Ghost costume. I think a Disney sponsored event with halloween costumes worn by most all the guests aren't really what we are talking about.

What could happen? Since Disney does have 20's themed cast members interacting with the guests, then the confusion possibilities should be pretty obvious. So if somebody else is walking around in a similar type costume, then whatever behavior they might exhibit that is not what you would expect from a Disney employee could be attributed to a poorly behaving cast member.

Even something as simple as a guest walking up to one of these costumed guest and asking for your picture to be taken with them. Seems simple, but even the most polite explanation could be taken wrong.

I understand the fun in costume dress up. My wife is into that and she has done it at conventions and for movie premiers. But she would never wear one into a theme park. For one thing it's totally impractical to wear for a day at the park. Uncomfortable to say the least.

That said, I don't think Disney would stop this type of dress up stuff. But you would probably be watched closer than average guests.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I'm just saying that there is a huge difference between clothing style and dressing up in a costume.
    Yes, but in the context of the discussion.. it's not about generic - but what is being observed in the park for real. Yes, people have different dress styles, including some that try to live their life retro all the time. But it's unlikely this demographic decided to come out of the woodwork all of a sudden and appear in DCA when they weren't present there before. These are people getting into the whole mood and making their own fun with it all. Nice, but there are boundaries to that and this isn't your friend's themed house party.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Yes, but in the context of the discussion.. it's not about generic - but what is being observed in the park for real. Yes, people have different dress styles, including some that try to live their life retro all the time. But it's unlikely this demographic decided to come out of the woodwork all of a sudden and appear in DCA when they weren't present there before. These are people getting into the whole mood and making their own fun with it all. Nice, but there are boundaries to that and this isn't your friend's themed house party.
    If the parks are going to have a dress code, then they need to specify it (what you can or can not wear, including clothing that could be considered offensive) and then enforce it consistently.

If the policy is so obscure that the same clothing can be considered appropriate or not depending on certain changing circumstances, then it becomes pretty much haphazard and arbitrary, essentially making it useless. When people can go to Disneyland on Swing Dancing Night dressed in period appropriate clothing, but then be denied access to DCA with the same clothing, then there will be conflicts that will cause problems.

This is going to be a hard issue to resolve equitably.

You would have a bigger problem with some guys wearing suits and girls wearing dresses with a few sequins into the park than some of the barely-legal outfits worn by guests every day? My personal feeling is that Disneyland is supposed to be a little out-of-the-ordinary, a little different than everyday life. I don't know of a lot of other places where adults wear giant, decorated mouse ears on a daily basis, for example. If people want to enhance their experience with a few casual props or fun styles, I don't really know how that's crossing boundaries. If they're impersonating cast members, then sure, they should knock it off, but otherwise, I don't think it would get more than a second glance from me.

However, I recognize that that's merely my opinion.

• Mickey is not my Brother

With the logic of not allowing guest to dress up nicely for a time period where people took pride in their appearance then Disney should outlaw Bats Day as well.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

^Exactly.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Disney California Adventure Grand Re-Opening | Facebook
    Two out of three people are dressed up in this photo on the official california adventure facebook page. I would chalk this up as a non issue for now. Disneyland has had dapper days for years . people who come for the swing dancing get into themed appropriate clothing. It would be different if they dressed as tinkerbell but since they are not imitating a Disney character its different

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast