Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Motive isn't the issue. When costumed guests can be confused for the performers or cast members, then the show quality is out of Disney's control. That can lead to all sorts of undesirable situations.

There's nothing wrong with dressing up to visit the park. But there is a problem with dressing up to be part of the show in the parks.
    Exactly right.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• socal native

As I happen to know the people pictured in the photograph in question, I think I can clearly explain their motives in dressing the way they did. In fact, had I not been sitting delayed in an airport, I would have been with them.

Yes, they were dressed in 30s era clothing. Yes, they did it to celebrate the opening of the park. And, yes, we often dress up like this. We've come to DL dressed as such before, although we don't always do so.

Whenever we come dressed 'fancy' by today's standards, we have never once been criticized by cast members. In fact, we are often complimented by CMs on our dress. When I was able to come on Saturday, my husband and I dressed 'dapper,' and were continually stopped by CMs complimenting our dress (we do not wear costumes, we dress in a manner which suits us and our lifestyle) and telling us they wished more people dressed up to come to the park.

Were they trying to draw attention to themselves on Friday? Hardly. I can only state the fact that the people in this photo would dress like this on a daily basis if it was possible. They all reported having a great time and being treated kindly by CMs, including some 'suits' who stopped them, took a bunch of pics with them, and thanked them for coming dressed the way they were.

They are not cosplayers, which would entail attempting to replicate the costume of a specific character. They were not attempting to be anyone other than themselves. And who they are, are people who appreciate dressing nicely, often in vintage and retro clothing. You can dress however you choose, we won't comment on your choice to wear pjs and slippers to the park to your face, but we are probably criticizing you behind your back too.

Also, if you check out the CM and BVS citizens costumes, it is clear that these are costumes. They are attempting to play someone specific; a role. The people in the picture are being themselves, and in the picture they are being guests, having a seat enjoying the day.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    As I happen to know the people pictured in the photograph in question, I think I can clearly explain their motives in dressing the way they did. In fact, had I not been sitting delayed in an airport, I would have been with them.

Yes, they were dressed in 30s era clothing. Yes, they did it to celebrate the opening of the park. And, yes, we often dress up like this. We've come to DL dressed as such before, although we don't always do so.

Whenever we come dressed 'fancy' by today's standards, we have never once been criticized by cast members. In fact, we are often complimented by CMs on our dress. When I was able to come on Saturday, my husband and I dressed 'dapper,' and were continually stopped by CMs complimenting our dress (we do not wear costumes, we dress in a manner which suits us and our lifestyle) and telling us they wished more people dressed up to come to the park.

Were they trying to draw attention to themselves on Friday? Hardly. I can only state the fact that the people in this photo would dress like this on a daily basis if it was possible. They all reported having a great time and being treated kindly by CMs, including some 'suits' who stopped them, took a bunch of pics with them, and thanked them for coming dressed the way they were.

They are not cosplayers, which would entail attempting to replicate the costume of a specific character. They were not attempting to be anyone other than themselves. And who they are, are people who appreciate dressing nicely, often in vintage and retro clothing. You can dress however you choose, we won't comment on your choice to wear pjs and slippers to the park to your face, but we are probably criticizing you behind your back too.

Also, if you check out the CM and BVS citizens costumes, it is clear that these are costumes. They are attempting to play someone specific; a role. The people in the picture are being themselves, and in the picture they are being guests, having a seat enjoying the day.
    I was hoping someone from the other side would be able to chime in. It's sad to see people take a big ol' turd on something that's meant to be harmless and fun, to insinuate that you guys were doing it for attention or to be part of a show? It's just assumptive and rude. A lot of my friends dress up for events, so maybe I understand a little better where you guys are coming from. I'm glad to hear you guys had fun celebrating the reopening and that this doesn't discourage you from dressing up in the future!

• Still lost in Neverland

And really, those are not Costumes. They are suits and dresses. You can buy them anywhere that sells period clothing. They are just having fun. They are not playing characters and are not outlandishly dressed like the walk-around DCA characters are. Those are costumes themed to the outrageous. These people sitting at the table are just in what used be called "Sunday Best". From a time when people took pride in looking good when they out on town. Today most people dress like slobs wherever they go, even church. I thought they looked very cool and fit right in without really doing anything except sitting down to eat or drink some of the cafe's food.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    And really, those are not Costumes. They are suits and dresses. You can buy them anywhere that sells period clothing. They are just having fun. They are not playing characters and are not outlandishly dressed like the walk-around DCA characters are. Those are costumes themed to the outrageous. These people sitting at the table are just in what used be called "Sunday Best". From a time when people took pride in looking good when they out on town. Today most people dress like slobs wherever they go, even church. I thought they looked very cool and fit right in without really doing anything except sitting down to eat or drink some of the cafe's food.
    That's exactly what I was trying to say. Good job at explaining
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Parmageddon Jim

Though I didn't dress up for 6/15, I will continue to dress up when the occasion strikes me. It's unfortunate that it offends some people.

It's unfortunate that some people are so easily offended.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post
    Though I didn't dress up for 6/15, I will continue to dress up when the occasion strikes me. It's unfortunate that it offends some people.

I don't think anyone is offended. I don't really care if someone walked around DCA dressed as a stormtrooper or Tinkerbell. As long as you aren't interrupting my enjoyment of the park, have at it.

But Disney might care. I think that was the point.

You guys should check this thread out:
    http://micechat.com/forums/cars-land...xperience.html

They're the same family who were all dressed up in the picture.
    Last edited by EndOfLine18; 06-18-2012 at 05:36 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post

Thank you! I was there opening day and saw them too. They looked like they were having fun and getting into the spirit of day! BTW, that sort of thing is done at TDR ALL the time, people getting into the act. It only makes it more fun not less! I have no clue how anyone can be offended? Want to see 'offended' I was in Egypt once at an Islamic temple where you are suppose to be covered from head to toe and there was an Italian tourist there litterally wearing nothing but a speedo on. THATS offensive, not just for cultural and religious customs of the mosque but for the rest of humanity who had to see this guys wide belly the entire time lol. These people are just getting into the spirit of things, which would be cool to see more of, not less! Sometimes I dont get these boards?

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd View Post

I know right. The things that get wasted debating about.

The way people look, however it is, isn't going to bother me in any way unless it's very vulgar or just not appropriate.
    Even then Disney will deal with it, not me as I don't work there.

Love the look on BVS anyways, wouldn't mind seeing it more even if it happens to be from guests haha.

Considering how well dressed those guests were (and that the CM's complimented them and asked them to sign a release to use their photos....).....

Maybe HPB/Mat Tea Party should become the new swing dancing area/street party? It fits the theme, it's a semi-regular crowd, live big-band music, swing dancing in period appropriate outfits?

It just seems that swing dancing might not feel right in a princess meet & greet. Maybe HPB/Hollywood Studios is a better venue?

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post

Thanks Elsa! We missed you.

To everyone else that "gets it"...thanks.

Those that don't...no worries.. but here is something to remember:

"To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past .... and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America ... with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world."
    -Marcus

I enjoy it, I think this is the least of our worried pertaining to cloths. People complain about these people dressing up and enjoying the day and bot bothering anyone, hmm very odd. Instead let's dress in pajamas, tight clothing and exposing ourselves with kids around. I guess this is America, where people have their priorities wrong. The other day I was eating at club 33 and a guest was yelling at the cm account they wouldn't let him in account he was wearing a t-shirt, flip flops and shortage. I guess that is better that dressing up vintage.

Re: BVS Guests in Period Costumes?

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the cast members themselves are vintage enthusiasts. I imagine that's one of the reasons working at Disneyland/DCA appeals to these fine folks. The only thing vintage I was wearing was a '40s or '50s vintage fedora which I wear all the time and even I received a compliment from a cast member.
    Last edited by Victor Brunswick; 06-18-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Re: BVS Guests in Period Costumes?

I'm a bit perplexed to find that there are people out there who are finding this "offending." These guests are not dressed in "costumes" they are wearing clothes tied to a specific period. Something I like to do myself occasionally. To insinuate that it's done for "attention" is ridiculous. Since when was it offending for anyone to get into the spirit of something they love?

You know what I DO find offending? A good majority of guests who find it acceptable to visit the parks in nearly no clothes at all! I'm talking about butt cheeks hanging out of barely there shorts, belly exposure (I would say mid-section but all the women I've seen do this have bellies and for whatever reason love to show them off), and plunging neck lines. For Pete's sake, there was a young woman sitting on a bench on Buena Vista St. in her BRA. I saw CMs looking at her but it wasn't until I said something to them that they approached her. I don't think I've ever been so disgusted or offended at the parks.

I'm 23 years old, so I'm no old fart reminiscing about the conservative yesteryears. But I am surprised people think it's acceptable to leave the house looking like that. My sister was nearly turned away at the entrance during one visit for wearing a belt with PLASTIC bullets on them. Later that day we saw a woman with the bottom half of her butt cheeks hanging out of her skin tight booty shorts. Now that's "offending."
    Learn How To Lose Weight While Still Eating All Your Favorite Disney Foods! --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast