Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: BVS Guests in Period Costumes?

Oh...and this isn't out first rodeo and certainly not our last!:

-Marcus

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by elsa View Post
    They are not cosplayers, which would entail attempting to replicate the costume of a specific character. They were not attempting to be anyone other than themselves. And who they are, are people who appreciate dressing nicely, often in vintage and retro clothing. You can dress however you choose, we won't comment on your choice to wear pjs and slippers to the park to your face, but we are probably criticizing you behind your back too.
    But sadly it's the PJ & Flip-flop Brigade who are often known for openly and rudely criticising one's attire.

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

I hope this starts a trend. With the new dining options on this screet, including the CCT, I think it could be come the "in" thing to do -- come to Buena Vista street and dress up.

On the flip side, I hope people do not start dressing up "redneck" to go to Mater's Junkyard.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

Quote Originally Posted by bytemaster View Post
    I hope this starts a trend. With the new dining options on this screet, including the CCT, I think it could be come the "in" thing to do -- come to Buena Vista street and dress up.

On the flip side, I hope people do not start dressing up "redneck" to go to Mater's Junkyard.
    This is a good point. We had dinner at CCT restaurant and I have to say that seeing people in that elegant restaurant in t-shirts and jeans is what really looks strange. It may sound snobbish...but the truth is...we were the only people that actually LOOKED like we belonged in there.

Club 33 has a dress code, but CCTR doesn't seem to share the same sentiment. A real shame given the effort they put into the place. Don't get me wrong...we'll be back and I hope that others in vintage clothing circle go there too and "raise the bar".

Let me just say that if anyone is interested in obtaining vintage clothes...I'm more than happy to point them in the right direction.
    -Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by BroadSword View Post
    This is a good point. We had dinner at CCT restaurant and I have to say that seeing people in that elegant restaurant in t-shirts and jeans is what really looks strange. It may sound snobbish...but the truth is...we were the only people that actually LOOKED like we belonged in there.
    How was the CCT restaurant? I saw the menu and it was a bit too posh for me this time around. I'll have to budget it for a future visit.

Just out of curiosity, how do you guys that dress nice handle the heat in the summer?

• Jack of All Trades

Well, apparently we can say that DCA project tracking and the progress towards its re-launch has officially come to an end. We are now resigned to chat about guest attire and miscellaneous typos.

Haha. Love it!
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

They're not in 'costume' per say and are defintely not 'cosplaying'.

Though I doubt this is their normal every day attire, it does seem to border a bit on the 'confused for a cast member' issue that has been brought up in the past (most recently the Tinkerbell teen, a bit more obvious of an infraction)

It was ammusing and in good fun for them, and didnt appear they were confused for actual cast members on BVS, but I'm sure they were watched pretty closely.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

As a guy who does wear a suit to business appointments, church, weddings and other affairs, where more formal attire is appropriate and respectful, I like to see people who take the time and effort to look good when they go out in public. It is, apparently, a habit from a bygone era.

In the parks, aside from special days that encourage guests to dress-up, I wonder about confusion. I had more than a little sympathy for the Tinker Bell girl, who was really quite crushed to be turned away after putting in so much work on her costume. At the same time, I believe the lines between guest and cast would have been blurred in her case and that must be the defining line for Disney.

If I were to go into BVS in my post-Mad Men Brooks Brothers suits, with their slender cuts and narrow lapels, I would appear to be a contemporary person or someone from park management - less the name tag! But when people dress in period suits, hats and dresses that are integral to the theme of the park they are visiting, it is possible that other guests could be confused.

I don't think anyone is using the word "offensive" to describe people who want to dress up or look nice when they go to the parks. But there is a real chance at confusing people who are cast for people who are guests.

And I completely agree with what everyone says about the homeless-person-***-stripper attire that is so inappropriate for a family-oriented environment. If nothing else, there should be a dress-code to deal with that.

• Non-Minion

I created a thread that relates to this topic a few months ago...

But I totally agree with broadsword and everyone else that takes pride in how they look these days. Its not only great to see it but when you actually take the time to dress up and put in effort into understanding that going to DLR is an event in itslef your entire attitude changes. The way you talk and conduct yourself, even the way people approach you is different. I LOVE that look in the park and I gotta say its awesome that the kids seem just as into it as the parents do!

Its a backwards type world today where people don't appreciate other people who dress in a way that I see a lot more as appropriate than other guests. The way I see it that BroadSword and his friends and family ADD more value and quality to the parks and if I ever get a chance to see them at the parks I would love to shake their hands and show my appreciation.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I don't think anyone is using the word "offensive" to describe people who want to dress up or look nice when they go to the parks. But there is a real chance at confusing people who are cast for people who are guests.
    I went back through the thread, there are only four negative posts about the outfits. The posts seem to have a tone of the writer having taken personal offense, which is partly why I originally used the word. The other reason is that there is often actual offensive attire worn in the parks, as mentioned by several other posters, so, compare and contrast, you know? It's also come to my attention that at least one unknown person was offended by my previous contribution to the conversation. So let me just say, I'm sorry that some people are offended by my being sorry that some people are offended.

Hope that clears things up!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    I created a thread that relates to this topic a few months ago...

But I totally agree with broadsword and everyone else that takes pride in how they look these days. Its not only great to see it but when you actually take the time to dress up and put in effort into understanding that going to DLR is an event in itslef your entire attitude changes. The way you talk and conduct yourself, even the way people approach you is different. I LOVE that look in the park and I gotta say its awesome that the kids seem just as into it as the parents do!

Its a backwards type world today where people don't appreciate other people who dress in a way that I see a lot more as appropriate than other guests. The way I see it that BroadSword and his friends and family ADD more value and quality to the parks and if I ever get a chance to see them at the parks I would love to shake their hands and show my appreciation.
    Thanks Christian! I see your from SD...we're up in North County.

The way I see it...Disney spends billions of dollars (literally) to create a world that is not only fantasy, but also is a throw back to a classier time in America. Why not add to that I say?

Wren is right...we don't dress like this everyday. I try to sport vintage duds when I can, but it's not practical for me right now. I know folks who do and they are great people. It's just not for us right now.

Was there some confusion by the cast members. Absolutely...we were asked by MANY cast members, both uniformed and plain clothes if we were CMs or performers. We said no...and we got nothing but compliments.

They say clothes makes the man...but your attitude and behavior define the person. If us dressing up inspires one person to dress or act a little better when they leave the house...that is awesome.

---------- Post added 06-19-2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

Now...I think we may get some guff from CMs if we tried to come in these outfits!

-Marcus

• Parmageddon Jim

Nice! (And you could get away with that for Halloween, they just don't like you to pose with guests for pictures)
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• keh!

This:

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    This seems to be turning into something that really isn't an issue. Making drama over nothing. What type of issue is there if a guest mistakes another guest for a cast member? Not much.
    And this:

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    And really, those are not Costumes. They are suits and dresses. You can buy them anywhere that sells period clothing. They are just having fun. They are not playing characters and are not outlandishly dressed like the walk-around DCA characters are. Those are costumes themed to the outrageous. These people sitting at the table are just in what used be called "Sunday Best". From a time when people took pride in looking good when they out on town. Today most people dress like slobs wherever they go, even church. I thought they looked very cool and fit right in without really doing anything except sitting down to eat or drink some of the cafe's food.
    Wow, stop the presses. Kick that family out, there is so much harm being done because crowds are gathering around the family and shunning away the actual in-park performers. Woe is me.

Seriously, drama over nothing. They look great. Those people are not walking around in character and making a tremendous effort to be noticed. If Disney lets them stay, then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    Its a backwards type world today where people don't appreciate other people who dress in a way that I see a lot more as appropriate than other guests.
    Dressing trashy vs. appropriate... is an entirely different discussion from dressing in costume or dressing to match a different time period.

Saying people should be dressing in nice slacks and shirt instead of a wife-beater and pants around your ankles... is not the same discussion as putting together a period costume to match the environment you are heading into.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast