Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

• Non-Minion

Re: BVS Guests in Period Costumes?

Cosplay? really? C'mon now...sounds like a desperate attempt to just prolong an argument that shouldn't be existant in the first place. cos-play is the representation of a ficticious character or genre

You know what I find funny about this entire scenario is that Disney has always been heavily criticized about the lack of quality and the degradation of the values that Disney once held in high standard; yet when a family or a group of people wish to add to that quality that other feel is so lacking THEY get criticized for doing so. They get called a possible distraction for wanting to maintain the integrity that Disneyland once brought out in people??? THEY ARE DRESSING UP! Hands Down! When I dress up I sport a suit and tie and, when they dress up (as Elsa and BroadSword have already stated) this is how they do it. Not just for Disneyland. If I had the vintage clothes collection I would do the same exact thing with me and my daughter.

I have always stayed true to saying that going to Disneyland is always an event in itself, up until the start of the AP it was like that for a majority of people. If they want to celebrate their trip by enjoying it dressed up and experiencing the park in a way that they feel is special to them and close to their heart then so be it. They are NOT representing ficticious people, they are NOT giving themselves fake names or acting in a "cos-play" manner. They are just enjoying the park as a family wearing what they feel brings out the best in them...

enough is enough man...these boards never cease to amaze me
    Last edited by christianAdam; 06-20-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Penguin sums it up better than I was going to try.

And I share her irritation when people mislabel dressing up as 'cosplay' as I have been in the hobby for quite some time. Its much more than that.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Non-Minion

haha thanks for the negative feedback on my post.

Wow...this has certainly gotten lively. Gotta love forums. Look, here are the facts:

1. We do not wear costumes. Other than the items my wife makes from original period sewing patterns, our clothes are real clothes from the period we choose to dress for.

2. Disney has ZERO problem with what we do. As I mentioned in my TR, their official photography crew (not the uniformed people you see around the park) took our photos, contact information and even took "mugshots" with our names on a dry/erase board (I want those photos!). They intend to use our images in some official capacity..not sure what, so if anyone sees them...please let me know!!

3. If someone's opinion is that they can "do without" us...sure fine..whatever. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it's not going to affect what we do.

Oh and here were are at a Christmas Party in December.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65...ttonparty2.jpg

... at Santa Anita
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65...e/IMG_0263.jpg

... and this was just to go out for dinner and dancing
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65...e/DSC00685.jpg

Now..if we showed up like THIS...then..well then there would be a problem and rightfully so.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65...g/DSC01426.jpg
    Last edited by BroadSword; 06-20-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: links not working
    -Marcus

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    You know what I find funny about this entire scenario is that Disney has always been heavily criticized about the lack of quality and the degradation of the values that Disney once held in high standard; yet when a family or a group of people wish to add to that quality that other feel is so lacking THEY get criticized for doing so. They get called a possible distraction for wanting to maintain the integrity that Disneyland once brought out in people???
    Because it's not the customer's position to try to 'add to the show' let the company control and define that.

THEY ARE DRESSING UP! Hands Down! When I dress up I sport a suit and tie and, when they dress up (as Elsa and BroadSword have already stated) this is how they do it. Not just for Disneyland. If I had the vintage clothes collection I would do the same exact thing with me and my daughter.
    They said they do it frequently - not that this is their standard formal attire. Important distinction there.

If they want to celebrate their trip by enjoying it dressed up and experiencing the park in a way that they feel is special to them and close to their heart then so be it
    So I should be able to dress up as a pirate or a mansion butler because that would make me feel special as I enjoy NOS?

---------- Post added 06-20-2012 at 12:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BroadSword View Post
    Now..if we showed up like THIS...then..well then there would be a problem and rightfully so.
    [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/-BroadSword-/Costuming/DSC01426.jpg[/IMG]
    Why is it any different? Why do you feel your choice of clothing as from the 20s and 30s should be protected.. yet someone who choses to dress from another era should not be? They can dress like a pirate and not claim to be some specific character too. Maybe they just like to act like sailors and dress in period 1700's clothing. Maybe they even do that when they socialize..

Where's the difference in your eyes between them and you?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Non-Minion

@flynnibus You seem to misconstrue the concept of costume and ones attire when dressed up...

this arugment is at a stalemate

I have my view, and you have yours.

• Pilot EdForceOne

@flynnibus You seem to misconstrue the concept of costume and ones attire when dressed up...
    No - dressing up formal.. and dressing up to a theme are entirely different concepts. However, they are not mutually exclusive - and that's where I think some blend the concepts instead of addressing them separately.

I can dress up formal.. in a lot of different fashions.

The problem is when you want to define what is 'fashion' or a style choice based on your views.. instead of an objective definition. If dressing up as 20s and 30s is fashion or style... why isn't dressing in togas or seafaring clothes also simply a fashion choice or style?

I have friends in LA that live the 50s... even paying thousands of dollars to refurb a classic baby buggie so they would have a vintage buggie for their baby. This is their lifestyle - their fashion style of choice. They dress in that fashion all time except for work itself. She drives a huge pink Cadillac. Their house is decorated like the 50s. Neither lived in the 50s.. they just admire that time and style and chose to live that way.

There really is no difference between that.. and chosing to live like a Monk, Hippie. or even... wait for it.. a pirate.

So one has to accept, that if you think your lifestyle is a CHOICE, completely unrestrained, then you must also accept others have the same choice.

So if you want to live your life dressing up vintage... you must also respect someone else who wants to dress up.. like something else.

And BOTH parties need to accept that your lifestyle choice may potentially conflict with other things when you venture outside your domain into someone else's... especially a THEMED one.

So if you want to argue your lifestyle which potentially conflicts with a destination should be hands off and allowed because its your 'normal' behavior... why is your 'normal' behavior more acceptable than someone else's?

This is why Disney has to have a standard, and not just a specific list of what is allowed or not.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I have my view, and you have yours.
    Amen.

If somone doesn't like what we do...ok...that's their opinion. I'm not going to argue the point with you, especially on the internet!. Since we're not in violation of any Disney regulation, I don't feel the least bit bad about stepping into the park in vintage attire and will do it again when possible.
    -Marcus

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by BroadSword View Post
    Amen.

If somone doesn't like what we do...ok...that's their opinion. I'm not going to argue the point with you, especially on the internet!. Since we're not in violation of any Disney regulation, I don't feel the least bit bad about stepping into the park in vintage attire and will do it again when possible.
    This is true, though the violation fell in to a 'grey' area as in previous posts that you admited that cast members themselves thought you were fellow cast members. That seems to be the line in the spirit of the dress code rules, though it was innocent what you did as you didnt go planning to represent yourselves as Disney Employees.

What is the best way to dress for a day at the parks? Is there any clothing that isn't permissible?
    The parks are a casual, family-oriented environment. We suggest you dress comfortably, wear good walking shoes and check the local weather report before you leave for the parks.
    Ensuring that the parks are family friendly is an important part of the Disney experience. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense. Attire that is not appropriate for the theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes but is not limited to:

• Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character
    • Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event)
    • Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
    • Excessively torn clothing
    • Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
    • Tattoos that could be considered objectionable, such as with obscene language or graphics

A Guest is allowed into the parks if her or his hair (or make-up, if applicable) has been made to resemble a Disney Princess or character (for example, after a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeover) provided
    While according to the bolded part above, you wernt dressed as a 'true' Disney character, you could be confused as a "BVS Character" as reported to have been popping up to add flavor to Buena Vista Street.

Its a delicate situation, but if the actual cast members were ok with you guys, no harm no foul imo.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

As I mentioned in my TR, their official photography crew (not the uniformed people you see around the park) took our photos, contact information and even took "mugshots" with our names on a dry/erase board (I want those photos!). They intend to use our images in some official capacity..not sure what, so if anyone sees them...please let me know!!
    That is hysterical that they did that! And pretty cool!!

I, personally, wear one of those flat kind of hats all the time (like the one in BroadSwords avatar pic). Am I not allowed to wear those? They still sell them in all the department stores (I bought mine at Macy's). And what about suspenders? As suspenders go, the person with taste will usually lean towards the 20's-30's looking suspenders than, say, rainbow colored/Mork from Ork type. Are those out? Two tone loafers for men....too much? I don't think anyone in their right mind would call any of these items "cosplay." They are still being sold in contemporary, every day, retail stores.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by dude4real View Post
    I agree fully. (and the fact that DLR has pics of these EXACT people (in vintage) on their OFFICIAL Disneyland Resort Facebook page, I'd say it's safe to assume that "no problems have occurred...". We all know that Disney watched this closely and their decision to actually embrace this is very welcoming. :-)

This is the only thing that matters. Disney embraced the enthusiasm, they're the ones running the show. Opinions on a message board are moot and it's kind of discouraging to see MiceChat indirectly insult an entire family in their own thread. Dressing in vintage clothing is not cosplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Its a delicate situation, but if the actual cast members were ok with you guys, no harm no foul imo.
    That sums it up and unless they started hiring 8 and 12 y/o kids...it should be pretty obvious we are not "with the band" so to speak. They all loved it and one corporate type employee thanked us for doing it.

She really liked it too.
    -Marcus

• Parmageddon Jim

Molly!
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• HauntedOne999

as a fashion design student and a former Disney employee... I see nothing wrong in period clothing. All across america there are thousands of people who live their lives in period clothing. 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's.... Heck I have an aunt who dresses in 60's. All of today's fashion has been inspired by vintage styles. and fashion itself is a costume. in the guidelines of Disney the only "costumes" not allowed are ones of actual marketed characters (all because some guy dressed up like Indiana Jones and made guests pay him for autographs). also disney's character costumes are stylized differently from actual fashion pieces from the respected eras. case in point, the pumpkin princess who walked main street the first year of halloweentime. although i loved her outfit, it was a complete caricature of the actual time.
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

•   
    • Minion

Hmm I see nothing wrong here. The swing dancers on Saturday nights often were dressed up like this and there was no issues. Am i dressing up when I wear my mickey shirts and other merchandise? DCA is selling items that are represented of the time as well does this mean we can't wear them? Take a look at the new hats they are selling. The term cosplay is being thrown around as well. To be full on cosplay you have to act the part as well. There is no evidence of that here. If they were acting the part and engaging guests and had Disney name tags on there would be an issue. I wish more people would dress up for their times in the parks. It makes a great atmosphere honestly and very enjoyable.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast