Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: BVS Guests in Period Costumes?

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Hmm I see nothing wrong here. The swing dancers on Saturday nights often were dressed up like this and there was no issues. Am i dressing up when I wear my mickey shirts and other merchandise? DCA is selling items that are represented of the time as well does this mean we can't wear them? Take a look at the new hats they are selling. The term cosplay is being thrown around as well. To be full on cosplay you have to act the part as well. There is no evidence of that here. If they were acting the part and engaging guests and had Disney name tags on there would be an issue. I wish more people would dress up for their times in the parks. It makes a great atmosphere honestly and very enjoyable.
    here, here! I'm tired of seeing so much skin everywhere I go!! ESPECIALLY the parks. It's not as hot as one may think under all that fabric..
    Learn How To Lose Fat Without Dieting Ever Again! --> http://www.theantidietsecrets.com

• Parmageddon Jim

We-ell, I was surprised to find out that my vintage stuff doesn't fit anymore. I've shrunk out of it! So, time to go shopping! As it was, we still dressed for dinner, and had a wonderful time! The lady of our group did wear a fantastic beaded vintage dress, with appropriate heels (never again! she claims), and gorgeous jewelry. She was, as many of you have been, stopped by guests and cast members alike to be complimented and photographed.

Of course, if every guest entered the park naked, and was issued a disposable white paper jumpsuit, all of this could have been avoided.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I love it! I think they look great and I would get a kick out of seeing more guests dressed up around DL.

How fantastic! I love seeing people treat the park as an experience and an event, not just another amusement park. It's always fascinating to see pictures from TDL/DLS as, on average, Japanese tend to dress up more for the parks. It totally adds to the whole experience.

I hope those of you who went in garb (and it's garb, not cosplay, TOTALLY different!) had a fabulous time! I keep meaning to finish my 50s dress before going back so I can pretend, just for a moment, that I'm part of Disneyland's opening day. Or opening year, at least. I appreciate working water fountains.

• I am number 4 of 999

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I agree. If guests can be mistaken for costumed performers, there is a problem. If guests can't be mistaken for costumed performers, there is no problem.
    I go to the parks a lot...and when I was walking through Elias & Co on the grand reopening day, I saw a guy that was dressed almost exactly like the male cast members walk right by me and right out the door to his friends/girlfriend and I said out loud, "Oh, he doesn't work here?" to one of the actual cast members while thinking, "that's going to get confusing!".

Again, I'm not some out of state/country tourist. I'm a regular. So I do see a slight issue with this.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

As long as DLR doesn't have a problem and those in costume doesn't take away from DLR's show, then it should be allowable. I do, however, take offense at the elitist and snobby attitudes that goes along with that. Doing it for fun is one thing and that's cool; doing because you think you are better or at least better dressed than someone else is another thing.

• Parmageddon Jim

Quote Originally Posted by SteveColorado View Post
    As long as DLR doesn't have a problem and those in costume doesn't take away from DLR's show, then it should be allowable. I do, however, take offense at the elitist and snobby attitudes that goes along with that. Doing it for fun is one thing and that's cool; doing because you think you are better or at least better dressed than someone else is another thing.
    Where did you get that anyone dressing up has an elitist or snobby attitude? I've experienced the exact opposite.
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

Jim, in this thread only (and from certain suits at work ). It's those that think dressing "nice" or "sharp" (now or in the old days) is somehow better than dressing casual. I agree that going the other extreme is not good but as someone who grew in SoCal, I find there is nothing wrong with dressing comfortable and casual all of the time no matter where I go (I own no suit or ties).

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I'm just saying that there is a huge difference between clothing style and dressing up in a costume.
    This is ​a clothing style.

---------- Post added 06-24-2012 at 06:35 AM ----------

Actually, I dress "like this" all the time. It isn't a costume, it's my clothing. I enjoy the the detail and quality of clothing that was made before 1949 and I wear it every time I go to Disneyland, the supermarket, walking my dog, doing housework... Are you getting the picture? Hehe.

I think the only reason you notice people like me hanging out on BVS is because it's the first time we have ever fit into the theme of a land. Many of us are preservationists that belong to the Art Deco Society of Los Angeles, and BVS is such a wonderful (if fanciful) recreation of Walt's LA, that we want to be a part of it, just like you.

None of us try to represent cast members, in fact we all know that's a sure fire way to get our annual passes revoked. Many of us have been super careful about that.

As for the comment about the snobby attitude, I wish I could say that doesn't happen. Whenever I got out, people ask if I'm on my way to a party or if I am in a film or tv show. I always respond with, "No, I'm just enjoying my day." It does get a bit old after a while, but as far as I see it, it comes with the territory of liking old stuff. The comment that usually sets us vintages types off is when someone says, "Wow! Nice costume," because to us, it isn't. Still, I'm never rude about it and usually just give a polite, "thank you." We always get positive feedback about it wherever we go.

Bottom line is, there are a ton of us that just like to look nice and we aren't ruining anyone's experience by wearing these clothes.

Start focusing on having fun with your family instead of picking on other guests in the park whonare there for the same reason you are... That's what Disneyland is for!

Re: Disney California Adventure Project Tracker 12

Quote Originally Posted by PrncssCinderAlly View Post
    The comment that usually sets us vintages types off is when someone says, "Wow! Nice costume," because to us, it isn't. Still, I'm never rude about it and usually just give a polite, "thank you." We always get positive feedback about it wherever we go.
    I can see where a snobby attitude can be perceived, whether it is intentional or not. My wife had her outfit complimented by a lady who identified herself as a "fashion expert". Not saying she's not...this is just what she told my wife. She said she was very impressed on how authentic her "costume" looked, etc. My wife thanked her and simply said, that it looks authentic because it's actually original vintage clothing.

Now, if she had simply said..."it's not a costume" and kept walking then yes...I can see that being taken as snobby. Or even if she stated what she actually said, but with a snotty attitude...then again, yes...snobby/elitist. The sad part is that I know it happens..I've seen it happens. That's a personality thing that transcends what your wearing IMHO. A courteous, respectful person is just that, regardless of what they are wearing.

If someone stops and asks about what we are wearing, I'll tell them anything they want to know. I have a military reenactor background and have done hundreds of public events so it's a natural reaction for me.
    -Marcus

I haven't taken look at all the other pages, so sorry if this has already been said before.

I think that because Disney's rules state that costumes cannot be worn by adults in the park, these people should not be allowed to wear their period outfits. Yes, I understand that in everday life, vintage is not a costume. But when you are in a theme park wearing an outfit that looks just like that of a costumed Cast Member, you are wearing a costume. And that is not allowed. Plain and simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
    But when you are in a theme park wearing an outfit that looks just like that of a costumed Cast Member, you are wearing a costume. And that is not allowed. Plain and simple as that.
    If that was in fact the rule, you'd be 100% correct.
    -Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by BroadSword View Post
    If that was in fact the rule, you'd be 100% correct.
    It is the rule. Disney does not allow adults to wear costumes in their parks.

• Still lost in Neverland

If that were true, then why did the suits actually come down to see them, shake hands, compliment on the perfect look of the "Vintage Clothing" they were wearing and actually have a Disney Photographer come down and take pictures of them at various places around Buena Vista and, after having them sign a release, are using the pictures in BVS Advertising. Get over it as it has been accepted by the Suits in Charge. I happen to like it and think it ads. Look at the outlandish clothing the Disney BVS Characters are wearing. It is so outlandish it looks cartoony. The Vintage Clothing this family is wearing is actually better and more tasteful than the Disney Costumed Characters. I salute them and hope more people dress up when going to Buena Vista Street.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• I am number 4 of 999

I'm sorry, now we are critiquing how "tasteful" the costumed characters are on Buena Vista Street? Indicating that Chip and Dale are outlandish (what?) and cartoony? IMAGINE! Mickey and Goofy looking cartoony!

Oh, internet, you have entertained me this morning.

Does everything on this website have to be an argument?
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast