Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Re: BVS Guests in Period Costumes?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    Does everything on this website have to be an argument?
    I feel the same way, which is why I hardly ever say my opinion. If it happens to be different from the majority, like on this matter, I get attacked. It kind of ruins the forums for me, really.

• Chief Troublemaker

I'm not going to voice an opinion on whether or not retro dress should be allowed. Just want to say that I think you looked absolutely charming! Especially the young man in the shorts-suit. One question; how did you get him to wear that darling suit? I have 2 grown sons & I don't think I'd have been able to bribe either of them into it when they were young. What a doll! I bet he's a real pistol!

As far as just dressing 'appropriately', I can recall my folks (back in the early '60s) dressing for Disneyland; Dad wearing button down shirt, slacks, and 'nice' shoes and Mom in a summer dress, stockings, and sandals with heels. Brother in pressed jeans and t-shirt, Sis and I in fresh shorts-with-a-matching-blouse. Whew! I'm glad it's been capris or jeans and a nice Disney t-shirt for me since I've been grown! I can't imagine wearing a dress! More power to those who do!

Thanks Stormy!

This is one of two suits that I found for him and it's not the first time he's been out in vintage. When he first put on short pants, he didn't like them and I was not surprised. In a modern sense of dress they are just way to short, but was the norm back in the day for boys. Trousers came into play around the 12 y/o mark usually.

The trick is that we are all dressed up and we usually meet up with groups that are dressed vintage as well, so there is a "strength in numbers" aspect to it and he doesn't feel out of place. Of course he has always gotten a zillion compliments wherever we go so in actuality it's a big confidence booster.
    -Marcus

I'm not interested in joining the argument about whether or not this should be allowed (Disney can make its own rules; so far, they seem to allow dressing up like this, and I was even told by a server at the Carthay Circle Restaurant that the staff loves when people dress up in period outfits), but I think it's worth pointing out that some people dress Vintage in their day to day life; I don't think it's fair to ask them not to do that at Disneyland just because it happens to match the setting. I also don't think that these people are "confusing" to fellow park patrons; maybe to children, but I've seen people dressed in vintage style clothing standing near the performers, and there's definitely a notable difference. Besides the fact that some of these people look like they are in costume and those dressing vintage look like they are wearing more subdued clothing, there's the stage makeup, the props, and the demeanor; if someone isn't making eye contact or using exaggerated motions, it's pretty hard to mistake them for someone you're meant to be interacting with. I know I'm not saying anything new here, but just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

And yes, I'd like to agree with people who are complaining about what passes for modern "casual" dress. At what point will dressing nicely to visit a Disney park be confused with dressing as a cast member?

• Dapper Dan and Pan Fan

In my opinion, this is the same sort of idea that DisneyBound has. (disneybound.tumblr.com)
    I love DisneyBounding and my friends and I have been planning a trip to DCA where we dress vintage too.

I think if you're willing to dress up to celebrate the park's themeing, you don't want to confuse guests or pretend to be a CM. Those kinda of people obviously love the parks and don't want to ruin other guests' experiences. I adore BVS and the only reason I want to dress up is to celebrate my love for that area.
    ~Miss MaddyMouse

• Minion

As I see it, Disney can't lay claim to an entire era of dress. '20s attire is okay as it doesn't really resemble a character, but rather an entire generation. I understand that the citizens of Buena Vista are characters, but if I dressed up in hiking gear, I shouldn't be chastised for looking like someone from the Wilderness Camp. Should aviators and bomber jackets be banned near Soarin'? It's a fine line, I'm sure, but it hasn't been crossed yet.

I'm very much so looking forward to Dapper Day.

I love seeing people dressed up at DL and DCA! Honestly, I believe that's how it should be. I would love to see the saturday night swing dance come to BVS in front of the CCR (similar to the celebrity opening week event). I'm sure they could flood in the traffic around that area through either hollywoodland and or Condor Flats someway.
    *Something like this
    DCA: Celebrate Buena Vista Street - Swing Dancing (Clip 1) - YouTube

*EDITED*

On the topic at hand: if other guests are allowed to wear back-hair-clasped tank tops and gut-strangled shorts, then I can wear a fedora if I want.

Also, for those who believe "period clothing" is a problem, I would suggest you first focus your energies on convincing Disney to stop selling it in their Parks.
    Last edited by NickyTea; 08-08-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Moderator Request

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty4 View Post
    I'm sorry, now we are critiquing how "tasteful" the costumed characters are on Buena Vista Street? Indicating that Chip and Dale are outlandish (what?) and cartoony? IMAGINE! Mickey and Goofy looking cartoony!

Oh, internet, you have entertained me this morning.

Does everything on this website have to be an argument?
    I'm pretty sure he's not talking about Chip and Dale, but rather the uniformed cop, the lady with the dog, and the mail/telegram person. I too think that all three of those costumes are a bit over the top, especially the cop costume. Between the garish blue color and those glasses, it really does clash pretty violently with the ambiance on that street.

Just my opinion.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678