Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Radiator Springs Racers breaking down too often?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I think they're "freaking out" because after 5 years of waiting and all this promotion, the stinking thing doesn't work. People, paid a lot of good money, camped out, waited in that monstrous line in the heat, and what's the payoff? It's broken. I'm sure Disney's not happy about it either, but the time to work out the kinks has passed. The ride opened, the guests are here. Get it together. While I can always go back, not everyone has that luxury. You built it, they came...
    Every single person who paid and camped out for Cars Land should have been expecting breakdowns. This happen with every single new attraction. Last year TLM broke down at least once or twice a day even after a month of operating! That ride has a ride system that is far less complicated than RSR and one that Disney has been using for decades! It is extremely unrealistic to think that one the very first days... and even weeks of operation that thing will not break down. The imagineers did not create a flawed attraction... it just needs its time to get used to carrying thousands of guests everyday. Don't worry this will come to end just like it has with every other new attraction

• Parking Lot > DCA

I didn't say the sky was falling, I said they've had the time to work these things out. That's what testing is for. And the crowds were no surprise. Indy had longer wait times when that opened, as well as Star Tours. The Line for this isn't that long in comparison to those opening seasons.
    Testing the attraction before it is unveiled does not compare to the hundreds upon hundreds of people that are being loaded and unloaded off the thing a day once it is public. It's been open for what, not even a week now? I waited in the standby line during the previews. It broke down maybe twice. It was down for not even 5-6 minutes before it was back up again. But again, it's expected - it's going to have these problems for a while.

Darth Maul, why don't you go and design you're own version that works better?

Somebody posted earlier that the CM's are still getting used to the system. That also brought up another thought: It's new to the techs as well, which may cause delays in troubleshooting.

Also, while the ride did have plenty of time to test, it didn't test WITH PEOPLE! Things work good in theory, but then that can change when you start putting people on the ride.

• Banned User

I didn't saying they never break down, I'm saying they're not new to opening an attraction, and this one, more than any I've seen before, was not ready on opening week. I'm not saying they never will be, but people getting upset by this is understandable. People are putting some words in my mouth.

---------- Post added 06-19-2012 at 12:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Testing the attraction before it is unveiled does not compare to the hundreds upon hundreds of people that are being loaded and unloaded off the thing a day once it is public. It's been open for what, not even a week now? I waited in the standby line during the previews. It broke down maybe twice. It was down for not even 5-6 minutes before it was back up again. But again, it's expected - it's going to have these problems for a while.
    I was there sunday it broke down about 3 times, for at least an hour. We're not talking minutes here for those who haven't even visited yet, but feel the need to chime in, we're taking long extended down time. it was down for several hours, the time I visited before that.

• Former Starspeeder Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    i wouldnt worry, Ghost Galaxy went down several times in its opening week and they figured out how to make it go 101 less. so i think RSR is fine
    Yes, but Space Mountain is a different animal, because that ride goes 101 all the time due to timing issues. It usually goes down because there's only a small window of time (around 35-40 seconds) to get people on and off the ride. One slow train and the whole thing can get backed up, and before you know it they have to shut down, then wait to start up the cycle again.

Walking in Walt's footsteps

• Jack of All Trades

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    So true. I mean everyone has to understand the massive amount of sensors, intrusion alarms, brake zones, AA's and other gadgets that all must run flawlessly TOGETHER. When they don't the attraction will auto-stop. With safety regulations and other procedures, sometimes something simple as pushing a button to reset a sensor deep inside the attraction can take some time to address.

As explodingboy says... Give it time... it will be fine.
    "People of Earth, how are you?"

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

"I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself.
    Fish are friends, not food."

• Parking Lot > DCA

I didn't saying they never break down, I'm saying they're not new to opening an attraction, and this one, more than any I've seen before, was not ready on opening week. I'm not saying they never will be, but people getting upset by this is understandable. People are putting some words in my mouth.

I was there sunday it broke down about 3 times, for at least an hour. We're not talking minutes here for those who haven't even visited yet, but feel the need to chime in, we're taking long extended down time. it was down for several hours, the time I visited before that.
    To play the Devil's advocate here, I have been at least 3 times since Cars Land has opened, hopped in single rider line (averaging about 40-50 minute waits) and haven't experienced more than 1 breakdown. If you ask me, that's pretty solid.

• Banned User

You're lucky. I've been there 3 times, and each time it's been down on arrival for more than an hour.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Breakdowns get a little more annoying if you've been in line for over 2 hours. Sure they need to get the kinks out, but seeing how frequently Indy is down leaves reason for concern.

• Minion

This thread cracks me up. All new attractions break down this has been true for 57 years at Disneyland and the Resort. I just got back from a 4 day trip and was able to ride RsR 8 times. I would say it's running fine. If you were to see the amount of time the attraction is up versus down I would say it's impressive. Too bad we don't have those numbers.

• Parking Lot > DCA

You're lucky. I've been there 3 times, and each time it's been down on arrival for more than an hour.
    That is pretty bad luck!

• Certified in everything

I didn't saying they never break down, I'm saying they're not new to opening an attraction, and this one, more than any I've seen before, was not ready on opening week. I'm not saying they never will be, but people getting upset by this is understandable.
    This is so not on point. People getting upset about this IS understandable. But people being upset AT Disney is not, and you communicate that view when you say things like the ride "was not ready" for opening.

Absent getting 25,000 people a day to test a ride for a month, there is not way to anticipate the pressure that crowds will put on a ride. Anything from a certain place on a ride where a certain type of hat flies of people's heads and trips a sensor to people throwing change onto the track could be a variable that you can't get from standard testing, as guests are less respectful on the ride than standard testers. You have to anticipate a ride will be getting its kinks worked out the first month or so.

So yes, be upset and frustrated at the situation you are in when you've been in line for 2 hours only to find out that the ride is temporarily stopped, but don't take it out on Disney, be the situation is LITERALLY UNAVOIDABLE.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    This is so not on point. People getting upset about this IS understandable. But people being upset AT Disney is not...
    Why not? The multi-billion dollar Disney Corporation drops a large chunk of change on RSR, hypes it to the moon, charges customers a premium price to get in, and when it turns out it's not completely ready for prime time (for whatever reason), customers are not allowed to be impatient, put out, upset or just plan pissed at the corporation that designed, built and tested it? No way. Darth Maul's feelings toward Disney in this discussion are completely justified -- every bit as justified as his praise of Disney would be if the ride was not breaking down.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Why not? The multi-billion dollar Disney Corporation drops a large chunk of change on RSR, hypes it to the moon, charges customers a premium price to get in, and when it turns out it's not completely ready for prime time (for whatever reason), customers are not allowed to be impatient, put out, upset or just plan pissed at the corporation that designed, built and tested it? No way. Darth Maul's feelings toward Disney in this discussion are completely justified -- every bit as justified as his praise of Disney would be if the ride was not breaking down.
    That's debatable.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Being as every attraction almost ever that has been built by man has had launch day issues and breakdowns since you can not posssibly concieve every issue when something is being built from the ground up. Its a bit irrational since no attraction has ever gone opening day without a hitch, especially with how complicated top rated attractions are being designed these days.

They're still being built by humans and will still have human error. Yes its frustrating waiting x hours for a ride, but there is a certain expectation that, yes this will happen if you try riding this on opening day/week with 40,000+ other people trying to do the same thing.

Even reliable rides like Pirates and the Mansion have issues to this day that require some downtime, and those are far from state of the art or as complicated a system as RSR is.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast