Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Certified in everything

Re: Radiator Springs Racers breaking down too often?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Why not? The multi-billion dollar Disney Corporation drops a large chunk of change on RSR, hypes it to the moon, charges customers a premium price to get in, and when it turns out it's not completely ready for prime time (for whatever reason), customers are not allowed to be impatient, put out, upset or just plan pissed at the corporation that designed, built and tested it? No way. Darth Maul's feelings toward Disney in this discussion are completely justified -- every bit as justified as his praise of Disney would be if the ride was not breaking down.
    Unless you want to make the case that Disney could have been prepared for the crowds the ride was going to have to handle (which as I see it could only be done by hiring 25,000 people a day to abuse the attraction) it is simply irrational to be angry with Disney. Without making a case that Disney could have been prepared for that abuse, we are left with the presumption that their in fact was no way to prepare. If their was no way to prepare, Disney is not at fault. And if Disney is not at fault, the idea of being mad AT them about something is ludicrous. I tend to fault people for what they CAN control, not what they CAN'T.

I'm not one to take Disney's side all of the time, but breakdowns like these have happened with every new attraction everywhere since the dawn of time, and it is only reasonable to expect them more with a more complex attraction. There simply is no way to prepare a ride for the burdens it assumes once it is opened.

I just can't bring myself to understand faulting Disney for not being prepared for something that their was no way to prepare for. Sure, fault them for poor crowd control, lack of shade, not enough food etc. etc. with projects because those things CAN be planned for. So be frustrated at the RSR breakdown situation, not the innocent actor.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    That's debatable.
    Yeah... completely agree... this would be true if this problem existed only at disney... but breakdowns for new attractions happen every single time an attraction is open anywhere in the world. There is simply NO way that ride operators can simulate the effects of running a ride at full capacity until they actually do it... There are so many different factors that can trip a new ride and send it to a breakdown that it is impossible to avoid this. It is completely unrealistic to go expecting the ride to not break down. This is not something that suddenly came out of no where. Look at every single ride opening in the last couple of years. TLM has a similar issue... ST had issues...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Why not? The multi-billion dollar Disney Corporation drops a large chunk of change on RSR, hypes it to the moon, charges customers a premium price to get in, and when it turns out it's not completely ready for prime time (for whatever reason), customers are not allowed to be impatient, put out, upset or just plan pissed at the corporation that designed, built and tested it? No way. Darth Maul's feelings toward Disney in this discussion are completely justified -- every bit as justified as his praise of Disney would be if the ride was not breaking down.
    EXACTLY. Rides break down, that's a given. But they had plenty of time, and are not new to opening large attractions. Experience and professionalism should have prepped them a bit better or this. I never said it was panic time and that they were gonna fail with this attraction. I'm not even the OP. I'm just saying this is really bad show. It feels like they rushed the final stages. And also, a ride running at full capacity is not abuse. It's doing what it was built to do, and opening weekend after all the noise they've made about this land, shouldn't have been any surprise. The fact that they setup for overnight guests, shows they knew the numbers that were coming. Again, I don't think Disney's happy about this, and I'm sure they're doing all they can now. But I doubt they did all they COULD. We've all heard how pressed for time the last weeks of this project were to make the June 15th deadline.
    Last edited by DARTH MAUL; 06-20-2012 at 10:56 AM.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    EXACTLY. Rides break down, that's a given. But they had plenty of time, and are not new to opening large attractions. Experience and professionalism should have prepped them a bit better or this. I never said it was panic time and that they were gonna fail with this attraction. I'm not even the OP. I'm just saying this is really bad show. It feels like they rushed the final stages.
    I disaggree, and knowing that Disney is not new to opening big name attractions like RSR, they know that regardless of what they do, its inevitable that brand new attractions are going to break down the first week of opperation. They always have
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

EXACTLY. Rides break down, that's a given. But they had plenty of time, and are not new to opening large attractions. Experience and professionalism should have prepped them a bit better or this. I never said it was panic time and that they were gonna fail with this attraction. I'm not even the OP. I'm just saying this is really bad show. It feels like they rushed the final stages. And also, a ride running at full capacity is not abuse. It's doing what it was built to do, and opening weekend after all the noise they've made about this land, shouldn't have been any surprise. The fact that they setup for overnight guests, shows they knew the numbers that were coming. Again, I don't think Disney's happy about this, and I'm sure they're doing all they can now. But I doubt they did all they COULD. We've all heard how pressed for time the last weeks of this project were to make the June 15th deadline.
    This is the same type of reaction people get when they camp out overnight for the release of the newest tech item. Then, when there are bugs that get fixed in the next generation down the line and then price drops, they get pissed. Others weren't worried about being first, tamed their excitement, and they waited specifically because bugs get fixed and prices drop.

I don't like the guy, but Bill Maher coined a term for this: nerd tax. Wanna be the first? Then there's a price to pay, and the price is top dollar and bugs. Similarly, one knows that anything new will have bugs to work out, especially complex ride systems that have automated stops built in.

Heres another example. I recently finished 16 weeks of student teaching. You plan, plan, plan to stay on schedule because there are benchmarks to hit. But then a new student transfers in in the middle of a period. Then a fight breaks out because a kid you've never had to worry about saw his mom's cancer take a turn for the worse last night and another student says something and it sets him off. A student gets injured in it and an ambulance is called. A few days later, several bees fly in to the room and students freak out and class is basically over. When it snows, students lose all focus and you learn that that's it for the rest of the period. A few days later, campus goes on lock down for 20 minutes. A week later, you get sick and a day is lost. The next day, some idiot kid pulls the fire alarm and you lose a period. A week later, a student brings a gun to school, campus goes on lockdown again, and an assembly is scheduled on gun safety and you lose more time.

I've seen all this happen. How could these things possibly have been built into your lesson plans? Why didnt you think of this when printing, buying, and making materials? When you scheduled their final? You CAN'T because it's impossible. The unpredictable cannot, by definition, be predicted, and neither can the behavior of others.

So to expect perfection from Disney here is ludicrous. Bugs get worked out eventually, but the ride won't be perfect.

Its why I've gone only to see the new stuff, not use it, and I scheduled my AP early entry for 6 weeks after opening day.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    This is the same type of reaction people get when they camp out overnight for the release of the newest tech item. Then, when there are bugs that get fixed in the next generation down the line and then price drops, they get pissed. Others weren't worried about being first, tamed their excitement, and they waited specifically because bugs get fixed and prices drop.

I don't like the guy, but Bill Maher coined a term for this: nerd tax. Wanna be the first? Then there's a price to pay, and the price is top dollar and bugs. Similarly, one knows that anything new will have bugs to work out, especially complex ride systems that have automated stops built in.

Heres another example. I recently finished 16 weeks of student teaching. You plan, plan, plan to stay on schedule because there are benchmarks to hit. But then a new student transfers in in the middle of a period. Then a fight breaks out because a kid you've never had to worry about saw his mom's cancer take a turn for the worse last night and another student says something and it sets him off. A student gets injured in it and an ambulance is called. A few days later, several bees fly in to the room and students freak out and class is basically over. When it snows, students lose all focus and you learn that that's it for the rest of the period. A few days later, campus goes on lock down for 20 minutes. A week later, you get sick and a day is lost. The next day, some idiot kid pulls the fire alarm and you lose a period. A week later, a student brings a gun to school, campus goes on lockdown again, and an assembly is scheduled on gun safety and you lose more time.

I've seen all this happen. How could these things possibly have been built into your lesson plans? Why didnt you think of this when printing, buying, and making materials? When you scheduled their final? You CAN'T because it's impossible. The unpredictable cannot, by definition, be predicted, and neither can the behavior of others.

So to expect perfection from Disney here is ludicrous. Bugs get worked out eventually, but the ride won't be perfect.

Its why I've gone only to see the new stuff, not use it, and I scheduled my AP early entry for 6 weeks after opening day.

• Certified in everything

EXACTLY. Rides break down, that's a given. But they had plenty of time, and are not new to opening large attractions. Experience and professionalism should have prepped them a bit better or this.
    But this is the point. Yes Disney has the experience from opening plenty of large attractions, but they have also never done it without having weeks of technical problems. If experience teaches us anything, it is that these things need to be adjusted the first few weeks.

I'm just saying this is really bad show. It feels like they rushed the final stages. And also, a ride running at full capacity is not abuse. It's doing what it was built to do, and opening weekend after all the noise they've made about this land, shouldn't have been any surprise.
    I think it is fair to say that every ride at Disneyland is abused. Examples of this abuse are all around the park, from the peeling BLAB vehicles to the constantly broken Indy queue effects. It is one this to test a ride with respecting imagineers and their families, but it is entirely another to put legions of guests on the ride who have nothing invested in the ride and thus less respect. The fact is that you don't know where kids are going to throw water-bottles off of a ride onto the track etc. etc. until it happens. The abuse is not due to the number of guests, but the unforeseen way that these attractions are treated by the public. Until these public behaviors can be identified and controlled for, sensors will continue to be triggered in ways imagineers could not have predicted. As others have said, like with new technology, you simply can't anticipate all of the problems the public will create with respect to a technology until the public actually makes those mistakes.

That being said, yes it is clear that the attraction was rushed... look at Ramone's (clearly an unfinished scene)... but unless these issues with the ride last more than a month, they are completely normal.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• A genus, humanus...

I do agree, break downs do happen. It doesn't matter how much money is spent on a ride, computers malfunction and human error occurs.
    We were there on opening day. We waited for 6 hours and 10 minutes. About 2 hours into the wait the ride broke down. Everyone in line noticed that the cars were no longer speeding by. It took Disney about an hour before they had cast members announce that the ride was temporarily down and it would be up shortly. When we were told the ride was down, we had already invested 2 hours into a 3 1/2 hour wait and that was why we decided to stay. It took an hour and a half before the ride was up and running. Never in our wildest dreams did we think we would wait 6 hours! That was by far the longest we have ever waited in any line. They did past out lots of stickers and Cars Land buttons so that kept the kids and adults happy. I was determined to ride RSR so I didn't mind waiting however what I wasn't please with was the stand by line guest versus the stand by line guest ratio. They were allowing 20-25 fast pass guest to every 10 stand by guests. The fast pass riders were complaining about their 45 minute wait while we waited 6 hours. In the end, the ride was worth it!
    Never again will we ride that ride without a fast pass. Advice, get there early before the fast passes run out!

• ITS A TRAP

ride went down for about an hour and a half last night. People had to get taken off the ride.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

• Banned User

I don't anyone in here is reading a word I'm saying. I keep getting the same argument, responding to it, and then getting it back again.

I don't anyone in here is reading a word I'm saying. I keep getting the same argument, responding to it, and then getting it back again.
    I totally understand what you are saying, you think that more could have been done to prepare the attraction to be ready for opening day, but unless Disney literally hired 40,000-50,000 people to do nothing but ride the ride for two to three weeks before opening date then the ride would still be experiencing these issue. There is no way to properly stress test a ride to simulate the opening weeks of a new attraction. I understand that it is very frustrating to wait hours for the new attraction to have it break down but the truth is is that it is the reality of the situation. It isn't new and it is not exclusive to RSR.

• A genus, humanus...

well said...

Maybe they could've pumped CMs, the construction team, or even APs?? That's got to have been a substantial number!
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Infinitized!

At least when RSR breaks down, the cars don't eat the tourists...

• I'm the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    At least when RSR breaks down, the cars don't eat the tourists...
    Nice Reference!!! Seriously just woke up my girlfriend by laughing to loud!
    "Buy the ticket, Take the ride."

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast