Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Re: Radiator Springs Racers breaking down too often?

Looks like I'll be in for some long waiting this Saturday. It almost sounds like not enough time being allowed for loading/unloading of guests and creating breakdowns. Not enough time allowed for ample spacing between cars creating more breakdowns. Production time, is just that "production time". You can try and speed up the process all you want, but you run a higher risk of breakdowns. And that actually slows your production time in the end result.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch2 View Post
    The issue that need to be worked out are caused by adding the guest element to the process... The ride could be circulated for hours and hours with no guests riding and it would probably not breakdown at all. The problem comes when you add the guests who are always the unpredictable element. From what I understand of how RSR operates is that it has very short intervals (About 8 seconds) between the cars to keep the capacity as high as it can be. When you add the guests, the loading process becomes unpredictable, which can lead to cars piling up in the attraction which messes with the timing of the attraction and causes it to auto e-stop, it not really mechanical failure. If the problems that were occurring were due to mechanical failure then it would be true that the attraction was not properly prepared for opening. But the truth is that the problems are being caused by the addition of guests to the equations. This is not something that can be really addressed until you open the attraction. As CMs get used to operating this brand new attraction the kinks will get worked out. As it was said previously this ride, for how extremely short the intervals are and how complicated the timing is here, should be applauded for how much time it actually spends running fine versus its downtime.
    This sounds like a pretty reasonable excuse but guest loading times will ALWAYS be unpredictable like this...for as long as the ride is open this will happen. So what is the rude doomed to break down all the time?

Maybe Disney couldn't have prepared for this but they should've known it would be an issue and set to resolve it off the bat before opening. Honestly, the argument 'rides always break down at opening' is a lame excuse that weakens your point--Disney has been opening and operating rides for 57 years now, they should know what will mess with a ride and what won't. Even more ridiculous is that this technology isn't new--Indy was one-of-a-kind and still is very innovative and advanced, and the first of its kind. RSR is the third incarnation of this ride type...they should have the kinks worked out for crying out loud.

Now, it's probably better for Disney to open the ride flawed and disappoint some people than delay it and disappoint everyone. But seriously, they know what they're doing. And RSR isn't breaking down 'occasionally'...it has A LOT of downtime. It breaks frequently and for long intervals. There definitely seems to be something fishy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    I just have to wonder at what point does TDA begin to worry about what might become a chronic problem. Not sure how much Indy really went down in the first 2-3 weeks, but I don't think that RSR has hit a four hour stretch yet when they haven't broken down. Am I wrong in thinking this? I've been to Carsland several times during the past couple of weeks and each time RSR has either just come back on line or has broken down while I was there. I sat in front of Flo's this morning just watching the cars zoom by and the ride made it from 7 AM opening (Early admission) to 8:45 AM before biting the dust. If the problem is a frequent E stop, should they just run less cars on the track so they don't get backed up? Or can they redesign the computer so that it doesn't take an HOUR to reboot and start over? Doesn't that seem like a ridiculously long time to reset and start again?
    Wait, What? The ride was closed from 7:00 to around 8:15 (and then it broke down again around 8:45) today.

The least CM's could have done was alerted all the guests (just before the park opened at 7:00) who woke up early that RSR was broken down so that we wouldn't have all wasted our time rushing to a ride that was closed. It seemed like it could have been handled better IMO.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    Wait, What? The ride was closed from 7:00 to around 8:15 (and then it broke down again around 8:45) today.

The least CM's could have done was alerted all the guests (just before the park opened at 7:00) who woke up early that RSR was broken down so that we wouldn't have all wasted our time rushing to a ride that was closed. It seemed like it could have been handled better IMO.
    My bad. I assumed that it was running since it opened up. I arrived there just at 8:15 and assumed it had been open that whole time.

Man. It's worse than I thought.

Starting to sound like "Rocket Rods" at Radiator Springs. Unlike Rocket Rods though, they've got far too much invested in this project to give up now. Whatever the issues are, they will have to address them regardless of how much engineering or cost is involved to make it run smoothly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I didn't say the sky was falling, I said they've had the time to work these things out. That's what testing is for. And the crowds were no surprise. Indy had longer wait times when that opened, as well as Star Tours. The Line for this isn't that long in comparison to those opening seasons.
    Indy had many massive breakdowns in the Spring of 1995. There were entire operating days in Spring '95 when the ride never even opened for the day due to mechanical and software issues. I know several CM's who were on Indy Opening Crew, and they tell hilarious stories of doing nothing but standing out front telling people it was closed for the day even though it was not listed on the Rehab List at the ticket booths.

Of course, back in 1995 there was no Internetz to spread the word. So people just wandered away bummed out and never Tweeted or Instagrammed or Facebooked the closed Indy ride in April, 1995.

Star Tours 2.0 had the same problems, but the good thing with Star Tours 2.0 is that there are four separate cabins operating independently. So when they lost one or two cabins last summer for hours or days at a time, they didn't have to shut the ride down. They just pumped the posted Standby wait up by an extra hour or two and dealt with cranky people at the Fastpass Merge Point all day.

If you were expecting a flawless downtime-free summer for Radiator Springs Racers, you won't get it. But that's nothing unusual, and nothing to freak out about. There are 60+ other attractions in Anaheim to go on if Racers is down for an hour or two each day.

• Banned User

The funny thing is 17 years later and Indy STILL breaks down regularly! I think it breaks down at least once 90% of the times I've gone to DL. Hell it broke down on me just two Mondays ago for 20 mins around midnight! I jumped on it as my last ride because it only had a 15 min wait but it ended up being 40 mins. I had no where else to be lol, so I waited and they got it going, but yes, it STILL breaks down constantly. I think for me, I been in line about 7 times it broke down on me, including my very first ride back in 95. It was so bad, they just sent us out of the line. We had to come back later that night to finally do it.

As for RSR, it may just be the new Indy! A very advanced AND popular ride and constantly breaking down. Hopefully in time it will change but yeah I dont think anytime soon. I been pretty lucky though. I been on it 4 times thus far and it only broke down while I was in line once, my first ride but I think it was just 15 mins. All the other times, no issues at all including riding it tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    At least when RSR breaks down, the cars don't eat the tourists...
    I want that on a t-shirt!

Rides breaking down is common. I still get a chuckle of a story I heard about Walt being on the monorail when it broke down.

I was there on Saturday when it was down twice. The second time I was actually in line. They announced that it would be back soon and they started cycling empty cars. Then announced they are having technical difficulties. Once on the ride a few of the show elements were missing. The sheriff didn't move. Frank was dark and you couldn't see him. Doc didn't move to face toward you.

• Minion

on Saturday the sheriff car wasn't working causing the ride to go down... the cast members were going around did you give sheriff his sleeping pills he has dowsed off again. Also there was a brief power outage in the park. They had to close the restroom only companion one worked do to not being able to flush. I think this might of gave rsr a hard time also.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Indy had many massive breakdowns in the Spring of 1995.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    The funny thing is 17 years later and Indy STILL breaks down regularly!
    One would think after 17 years, the multi-billion-dollar Disney Corporation would be able to get it right with Indy. One would think that with the humongous budget of Carsland, they would be able to get it right with RSR.

There are innumerable easy excuses to justify lower standards -- "Our failure rate in Attraction X is no worse than our failure rate in Attraction Y," "We're still better than the competition," "No matter how many shutdowns, it isn't affecting attendance," etc. What Disney has lacked in the last two decades is any reason for excellence as a business model.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I have rode it 16 times so far , I have had one 10 min delay in line and one 5 min wait hanging out on the ride in front of ramones. The last one was ok thoe since I got to look around and see all the details
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Please pull the yellowtab

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandkitty View Post
    on Saturday the sheriff car wasn't working causing the ride to go down... the cast members were going around did you give sheriff his sleeping pills he has dowsed off again. Also there was a brief power outage in the park. They had to close the restroom only companion one worked do to not being able to flush. I think this might of gave rsr a hard time also.
    I never witnessed any components of RSR malfunctioning until this past Saturday: Sheriff was stationary with only his audio working and, the other malfunction, Luigi's white walls were not centered on the tires but shone on the center of the car's body. It was awkward seeing the white circle hover there.

On my last ride of the day on RSR at 10:50 pm (DCA closes at 11 pm), I rode in a car with a group who told me they had tried 3 different times within the day to go on RSR but the ride broke down every single time they got in line. They never stuck around when the CMs announced technical difficulties. Despite having fastpasses they did not get to ride RSR until 10 minutes before closing.

I've been stuck waiting for RSR to reboot its system 4 out of 13 times I've gone on RSR. But I have never waited anything longer than 45 minutes before they got the ride going again.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

We were there Friday, think RSR was down a total of 10 minutes in the morning.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    One would think after 17 years, the multi-billion-dollar Disney Corporation would be able to get it right with Indy. One would think that with the humongous budget of Carsland, they would be able to get it right with RSR.

There are innumerable easy excuses to justify lower standards -- "Our failure rate in Attraction X is no worse than our failure rate in Attraction Y," "We're still better than the competition," "No matter how many shutdowns, it isn't affecting attendance," etc. What Disney has lacked in the last two decades is any reason for excellence as a business model.
    Facebook Friends can give you amazing insight, and this past Saturday is a perfect example of the "breakdowns" at Radiator Springs Racers. They had three of them that day, ranging from 20 minutes to just over an hour, and I don't think any of them can be blamed on a billion dollar corporation.

If anything, the billion dollar corporation had systems and processes in place that minimized the downtimes that were no fault of their own and shortened their duration considerably.

The first downtime of the day was for a woman who suffered a seizure on the ride between the loading area and the belt check area. The CM had to stop her car, backing up the rest of the ride and eventually evacuating it. Disneyland nurses, then Anaheim paramedics with a stretcher, arrived at the ride out on the track to care for her. Once she and her daughter were cleared of the attraction and taken to the hospital by paramedics, the ride was reset and reopened in just under an hour.

The second and longest downtime was just over an hour in early afternoon and was caused when a CM had to press the Emergency Stop button shutting down the entire ride.

An 8 year old boy unloaded on the wrong side of the car while his parents took off out the exit without noticing. While the car was loading the boy jumped down from the load side into the track; the cars were already stopped and the CM pushed her Station Stop in just to maintain stopped vehicles while she told the boy to quickly climb back up onto the platform. The boy didn't obey orders, and instead made a leap for the opposite side and got his feet near the open track slot with the electrified bus bar beneath it. The CM yelled "STOP!" one more time and had to hit the E-Stop, bringing the entire ride to an emergency stop. With electrical power now turned off in the ride track, the boy climbed out of the track, and scrambled toward the exit stairs where his parents gave the CM's a very stern look for "yelling" at their child. The family walked away into the park and were never seen again. The ride had to be fully evacuated and all animatronics and ride systems had to be reset, which takes an hour.

The third downtime in late afternoon was due to a "power bump" where the electrical grid from Anaheim Public Utilities sends a tiny surge of power through the lines. In your home your toaster oven and TV set don't notice this power bump, but the sophisticated safety systems governing ride systems at Disneyland notice. Several attractions at the Resort shut down instantly as a safety precaution (Tower, Indy, etc.), but at Racers the power bump was handled by the ride control system but the animatronic control systems didn't like it. Several key animatronic figures (massive moving cars with many safety systems in place) were taken offline and had to be manually reset. The ride was closed for 20 minutes while techs ran out and manually reset the impacted figures. Frank and Doc Hudson took about an extra two hours to get the software reading correctly before they could be taken out of B Show, and a guy from Disney's Scientific Systems was there on Saturday to handle the software angle. Sherriff could not be reset until third shift, so they placed him in "B Show" for the rest of the night where he talks and has lighting but does not roll back and forth.

After the power bump in late afternoon, for the rest of the night Radiator Springs Racers operated normally, with one short (5 minute) downtime for a vehicle that had one seatbelt with a sensor that would not read correctly. The Guests in that vehicle were asked to step out and board another vehicle, and the vehicle was pulled into maintenance to check sensors. This backs up the station a bit, but the CM's let Guests in any vehicles that were stopped in the show building have a second ride since the continuity of the show was interrupted for several minutes.

That last 5 minute downtime, with a single seatbelt sensor that would not check in and caused the vehicle to be pulled off, was about the only thing that "Disney" could have theoretically prevented. At least that was what Radiator Springs Racers was like this past Saturday according to CM's working the ride on Facebook.

All of these downtimes, however, would have been explained as "technical difficulties" to anyone who asks, as CM's aren't going to get into the nitty gritty about epileptic seizures and rowdy 8 year olds, and one could certainly extrapolate from that explanation that Disney is somehow shirking its financial and safety responsiblities to operate the new attraction as best it can.

Or, you can just chalk it up to "technical difficulties" and go get a Route Beer Float at the Cozy Cone and wait for it to reopen. Because the ride always reopens.
    Last edited by Westsider; 07-02-2012 at 02:15 PM.

^ Excellent post. Thank you for the info.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast