Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

• Johnny and Me!

Re: Radiator Springs Racers breaking down too often?

Wow

• Minion

it has been down for an hour or two it was working earlier today

• Minion

Is it safe to say that Radiator Springs Racers was opened to the public before it was truly ready to be opened?

^Maybe, probably not. I don't see how it matters. It's an incredibly complicated electrical ride system that goes partially outside. I wouldn't expect it to NOT have problems.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Is it safe to say that Radiator Springs Racers was opened to the public before it was truly ready to be opened?
    I think the answer to that question is obvious. For a ride that was based on existing technology, and had an ample budget and unrushed construction schedule, the amount of downtime is excessive -- even for a company with a track record of tech-and-spec screwups like Disney (Rocket Rods, redesigned Monorails, Murphy the Dragon, et al).

I don't think RSR's downtime will turn out to be the result of rain, dust, heat or Ghosts in the Machine. I think it'll be another example of Disney's notorious inability to listen to its own best engineering advice during design and construction. Don't be surprised if the breakdowns continue -- while stories begin to leak out of the same internal fingerpointing that we saw during the Rocket Rods, Monorail and Murphy screwups.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

A great ride, but disappointing in the amount of break downs. A little overrated, but still great.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by CatchAPairO View Post
    i remember reading somewhere that once at test track, since it is a major electric conductor, it was struck by lightning therefore blowing many fuses, or something, which all had to be replaced which took a week or so. a situation which couldn't be prevented. it was a thunder storm yesterday anyways so maybe something of the sort occurred ?
    This is Southern California. Every time we have so much as a light drizzle every newscaster is out on all the street corners screaming, "Storm Watch 2012!"

If lightning were to touch down anywhere within a mile or so of the park people would have definitely known about it. So I think it's safe to say it wasn't lightning.

I was there today (first time in Cars Land!) and it was down 3 different times. No rain today. I managed to get on it twice though. I think I was so excited I wasn't too bothered by it.

• Armchair Imagineer

I spoke to a family member who was a CM (and ride operator for Indy, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain) while he attended college in Los Angeles. He considers the Imagineers to have done an exemplary job with RCR, especially with John Lassiter on board. It seems that some attractions with complex electronic synchronizations do require some shakedown period, but he suspects that the real culprit are the Guests! Dropped items, thrown items, unloading and loading problems and delays, birds flying into show buildings -- all will trip safety sensors and initiate a shutdown sequence. The alleged breakdowns of RCR may be more a human failing than anything wrong with its design or construction.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Arrow Re: Radiator Springs Racers breaking down too often?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Cascading is a definite reason for many breakdowns. As a ride op myself, I can't begin to tell you how the guest element can just completely change an operation. The majority of guests will get on and off like any other normal people, these are the kind you usually see. But every now and then there are foreign tourists... and I don't mean that as in "non-American", I mean that as totally foreign to this kind of ride, or even to this kind of theme park... or even theme parks in general. Simply put is that they don't get exactly what is going on and what is expected of them, and if there's a language barrier then that just won't help things. I've seen some sit down in the totally wrong place and despite my hand gestures, and the aid of an assist they won't move, completely oblivious or unsure. The common reaction from their group to us is an apology and that this is the person's first visit to a theme park.

And of course children, who are 100% unpredictable. Today while at the RSR station the line wasn't moving. Why? Because a screaming, crying kid had to be removed from the ride. You just never know when their brains are going to suddenly switch to panic mode, not to mention figuring out a seatbelt or plain wriggling around when they shouldn't.

This doesn't include just the random things you will see. Lots of people come to a theme park, lots of very, very unique people. That's the core element of the human race, and it comes along with a ton of unpredictability.

Riding RSR for the first time yesterday, I can very much see that being the issue. (from what I found out, the ride broke down twice in the course of that day... once I waited a mere 15 minutes for it to come back online) Yes, we will never know for sure, because CMs will never ever openly admit what caused the breakdown to a guest, but it sounds like the most plausible one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Facebook Friends can give you amazing insight, and this past Saturday is a perfect example of the "breakdowns" at Radiator Springs Racers. They had three of them that day, ranging from 20 minutes to just over an hour, and I don't think any of them can be blamed on a billion dollar corporation.

If anything, the billion dollar corporation had systems and processes in place that minimized the downtimes that were no fault of their own and shortened their duration considerably.

The first downtime of the day was for a woman who suffered a seizure on the ride between the loading area and the belt check area. The CM had to stop her car, backing up the rest of the ride and eventually evacuating it. Disneyland nurses, then Anaheim paramedics with a stretcher, arrived at the ride out on the track to care for her. Once she and her daughter were cleared of the attraction and taken to the hospital by paramedics, the ride was reset and reopened in just under an hour.

The second and longest downtime was just over an hour in early afternoon and was caused when a CM had to press the Emergency Stop button shutting down the entire ride.

An 8 year old boy unloaded on the wrong side of the car while his parents took off out the exit without noticing. While the car was loading the boy jumped down from the load side into the track; the cars were already stopped and the CM pushed her Station Stop in just to maintain stopped vehicles while she told the boy to quickly climb back up onto the platform. The boy didn't obey orders, and instead made a leap for the opposite side and got his feet near the open track slot with the electrified bus bar beneath it. The CM yelled "STOP!" one more time and had to hit the E-Stop, bringing the entire ride to an emergency stop. With electrical power now turned off in the ride track, the boy climbed out of the track, and scrambled toward the exit stairs where his parents gave the CM's a very stern look for "yelling" at their child. The family walked away into the park and were never seen again. The ride had to be fully evacuated and all animatronics and ride systems had to be reset, which takes an hour.

The third downtime in late afternoon was due to a "power bump" where the electrical grid from Anaheim Public Utilities sends a tiny surge of power through the lines. In your home your toaster oven and TV set don't notice this power bump, but the sophisticated safety systems governing ride systems at Disneyland notice. Several attractions at the Resort shut down instantly as a safety precaution (Tower, Indy, etc.), but at Racers the power bump was handled by the ride control system but the animatronic control systems didn't like it. Several key animatronic figures (massive moving cars with many safety systems in place) were taken offline and had to be manually reset. The ride was closed for 20 minutes while techs ran out and manually reset the impacted figures. Frank and Doc Hudson took about an extra two hours to get the software reading correctly before they could be taken out of B Show, and a guy from Disney's Scientific Systems was there on Saturday to handle the software angle. Sherriff could not be reset until third shift, so they placed him in "B Show" for the rest of the night where he talks and has lighting but does not roll back and forth.

After the power bump in late afternoon, for the rest of the night Radiator Springs Racers operated normally, with one short (5 minute) downtime for a vehicle that had one seatbelt with a sensor that would not read correctly. The Guests in that vehicle were asked to step out and board another vehicle, and the vehicle was pulled into maintenance to check sensors. This backs up the station a bit, but the CM's let Guests in any vehicles that were stopped in the show building have a second ride since the continuity of the show was interrupted for several minutes.

That last 5 minute downtime, with a single seatbelt sensor that would not check in and caused the vehicle to be pulled off, was about the only thing that "Disney" could have theoretically prevented. At least that was what Radiator Springs Racers was like this past Saturday according to CM's working the ride on Facebook.

All of these downtimes, however, would have been explained as "technical difficulties" to anyone who asks, as CM's aren't going to get into the nitty gritty about epileptic seizures and rowdy 8 year olds, and one could certainly extrapolate from that explanation that Disney is somehow shirking its financial and safety responsiblities to operate the new attraction as best it can.

Or, you can just chalk it up to "technical difficulties" and go get a Route Beer Float at the Cozy Cone and wait for it to reopen. Because the ride always reopens.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    I spoke to a family member who was a CM (and ride operator for Indy, Space Mountain, and Splash Mountain) while he attended college in Los Angeles. He considers the Imagineers to have done an exemplary job with RCR, especially with John Lassiter on board. It seems that some attractions with complex electronic synchronizations do require some shakedown period, but he suspects that the real culprit are the Guests! Dropped items, thrown items, unloading and loading problems and delays, birds flying into show buildings -- all will trip safety sensors and initiate a shutdown sequence. The alleged breakdowns of RCR may be more a human failing than anything wrong with its design or construction.
    I got the chance to ride RSR for the first time this past Monday (07/16/12) around mid-afternoon. While waiting in line, the ride "went down" for about 30 minutes. At first I thought it was mechanical or electrical, but I shortly saw with my own eyes that it was not. Two gentlemen carrying what appeared to be First Aid kits were walking in a hurried pace to get to the attraction. I never did find out what "officially" happened, but in this case I think it's safe to say the ride "went down" due to an unforeseen incident involving a guest or guests. (I hope they're okay, whomever they are.) So, in the end I think placing so much blame on Disney is a bit unjustified. There are multiple posts I've quoted above which shed some light into RSR's "issues" being more Guests' fault and not Disney's. It is what it is. Sometimes life is amazing. Other times it can be disappointing. In the end, if a person is lucky enough to be able to set foot inside a Disney park, I think they're probably doing better off than quite a few others out there on this planet called Earth. (There are exceptions, though.)

Oh, and for those wondering, my wait time was exactly 3 hours. Enter queue - 12:15PM. Get on the ride - 3:15PM.

- Joe

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

3 hours!!!!! Oh heck no. Fast pass or early entry. Done. But I get it, you've probably seen and been to DL plenty of times so 3 hours is nothing but to a newbie like me flying across the country, well I came to see DL, not just one single ride. I could do so much in 3 hours at DCA.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The second and longest downtime was just over an hour in early afternoon and was caused when a CM had to press the Emergency Stop button shutting down the entire ride.

An 8 year old boy unloaded on the wrong side of the car while his parents took off out the exit without noticing. While the car was loading the boy jumped down from the load side into the track; the cars were already stopped and the CM pushed her Station Stop in just to maintain stopped vehicles while she told the boy to quickly climb back up onto the platform. The boy didn't obey orders, and instead made a leap for the opposite side and got his feet near the open track slot with the electrified bus bar beneath it. The CM yelled "STOP!" one more time and had to hit the E-Stop, bringing the entire ride to an emergency stop. With electrical power now turned off in the ride track, the boy climbed out of the track, and scrambled toward the exit stairs where his parents gave the CM's a very stern look for "yelling" at their child. The family walked away into the park and were never seen again. The ride had to be fully evacuated and all animatronics and ride systems had to be reset, which takes an hour.

The third downtime in late afternoon was due to a "power bump" where the electrical grid from Anaheim Public Utilities sends a tiny surge of power through the lines.
    Here are some areas for improvement, IMHO:

Loading/Unloading

Thanks for posting this great explanation, doubtless there are "bugs" which contribute to the opening of a new ride.

I do, however, think that Disney could have prevented the 8 year bold exiting on the wrong side of the ride, I've looked at photos of the load/unload area, and you can see that the load side has a longish walkway and no railing to prevent guests from walking out this way, hence once could think that the way out was the side with the walkway. A little bit of fence work could prevent this from happening, and would allow safer simultaneous loading and unloading. It wouldn't need to be just a fence, as a gate which only castmembers could open would do the job just as well.

It's about protecting stupid guests from themselves.

Power Surges

If power surgers trigger automatic shutdowns on ToT, and longer shutdowns on RSR, then maybe Disney needs to build an onsite power regulation/conditioning station somewhere on property to smooth out these "bumps". Or perhaps talk with the local utilities about their specific needs/concerns regarding attractions.

Seatbelt sensors

Other attractions have had problems with malfunctioning seatbelt sensors. Not sure who their supplier is, but they need to invest money to solve this problem I would guess as a broken sensor just weeks into the opening of an attraction doesn't portend well for the lives of ther other sensors.

Long Lines

RSR is a great ride, and will probably always have long lines, like the Matterhorn. However, unlike the Matty, RSR has only one track, maybe they should have design RSR with two tracks to decrease wait times, loading of the ride is limited as each car needs room for the racing section of the ride, unlike Pirates which is often bumper to bumper inside of the ride.

I realize that RSR is a new ride and that break-downs are to be expected, so I post this not as a rant, but as a warning to those who are trying to decide whether or not to brave the wait.

We went on Sunday, July 22nd and by time we arrived at the park, FastPasses were already gone. We checked and the stand-by wait time was 140 minutes. Based on other accounts, we knew that it could and probably would get much worse, so my wife and I decided to take our 4-year old son on the ride first thing and get it out of the way.

For the first hour, we baked in the sun as the line winds it's way around with only sporadic young trees providing sparse and brief periods of cover; in the future these trees will likely provide a nice canopy of protection from the sun.

As the second hour of our wait began, it was much better; we worked our way under the ride track where the overpasses provided cover and then once past them, the majority of the line winds its way through buildings with multiple fans and good cover.

As our second hour of waiting ended, the ride's loading dock was in sight. According to the posted wait time, we only had 20 more minutes to wait - it was at this point the announcement came that,"… due to technical difficulties races have been halted." It was announced that we could remain in line and wait or make our way to a member of the pit crew to direct us to the nearest exit. This message repeated every few minutes.

After about 25 minutes, they announced the ride was again operational and boarding would begin again shortly. This resulted in loud applause and cheers. My wife and I thought, well that wasn't too bad, considering...

As we continued waiting, I couldn't help but notice that not a single car was boarding. Occasionally they would run the cars, but without any riders.

After another 15 minutes, the announcement came that they had encountered further difficulties and again, we were invited to remain or told how we could leave. We again decided to wait, with the thought being that if they thought they were ready to board, they must be close. That was wrong.

As we continued waiting, our 4 year-old son started to fade; with nowhere to lay him down for a nap and no where to sit, we had to hold him as he napped - try holding 35 pounds in 90 degree heat with nowhere to sit and no back support and let me know how that goes for ya'.

As the second wait stretched to the 40 minute mark, our backs were killing us from holding our son who was slipping in and out of light naps, but never really getting comfortable or rested; we had enough, we started gathering our things to leave - it was at that moment the ride finally started boarding again.

We decided to stick it out since we had invested (wasted) over three hours waiting. It was another 40 minutes until we actually boarded the ride and all told, it was about 4 1/2 hours from the moment we entered the stand-by line until we exited the ride.
    Last edited by ratchy99; 07-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.

• Senior Minion

^ Bottom line, stories of first hand experiences like the above are circulating all over So Cal by word of mouth. No matter the justifications and defenses posted on fan forums, the word is out: RSR is not ready for prime time.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Some further thoughts, I wish that there was some more transparency. I understand that there are probably legal reasons why they can not say what the issue or problem is. If they say the issue is with a seat belt sensor and then someone gets injured due to a failing seat belt sensor, lawsuit...

It's just frustrating as a guest waiting in line during a breakdown period of over an hour not knowing anything. I'm sure some times they don't know, but there are also times that they do know, either way all you get is that same generic message.

Second, I am a Fast Pass user myself and I love the concept, I also fully understand that, on this ride, many Fast Pass holders got there early and waited in the Fast Pass line for up to an hour. However, based on what I saw, I do feel the number of Fast Pass riders they let on is disproportionate to the number of stand-by guests who have been waiting for 2-4 hours already! When the ride breaks down, it is even worse, because the number of Fast Pass riders gets backlogged and grows even longer.

Perhaps they should scrap the Fast Passes until the ride is stable and they can consistently provide a safe, enjoyable experience.

I joked to my wife that RCR brought a new definition of "magic" to Disneyland Resorts - the magical disappearance of fun and enjoyment. [Tongue in cheek, of course...]
    Last edited by ratchy99; 07-23-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast