Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Billy and the Hillbillies at Big Thunder Ranch

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I saw it today. They had an audience--most of the benches and tables were filled--but it's probably far less than what they had in the Golden Horseshoe. They sounded great, and the audience responded well to the jokes, for the most part. One thing that I noticed was that the stage seemed to swallow them up a lot more than the Golden Horseshoe stage. It is a lot larger and with the open-air setup, the four of them have a lot more stage to cover.

Other than the performance, they had one cart selling pins (not trading; a standard merch cart), a cowboy showing a handful of kids how to twirl a lasso, and some cool characters walking around. I just missed Clarabelle Cow, but when I was there, they had Western-attired Goofy, Daisy and Donald posing for photos.

They also had coloring stations set up in the beautiful little cabin to the side of the pony/burro corral, and they brought out one of the burros for kids to see and pet.

It was definitely quieter than the rest of the park, and even substantially quieter than the other part of Big Thunder Ranch where people were dining. It's a nice reward for those who are willing to strike out and explore the park a little more. And in all honesty, it was a relief to get away from the crowds for a bit.
    Good to know the Billies are getting the attention they deserve in Big Thunder Ranch. Just sounds kind of strange that as they're performing, there are other things going on, but I guess I have to experience it to see how its working.

Are the tables and chairs in any shade? Anyone have any pics?
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Hello Dolly.

I forgot about them being moved.
    Definately will go support them.

Gives my family & I a chance to go find a new spot to discover while eating as we would spend lunch at the Golden Horseshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I forgot about them being moved.
    Definately will go support them.

Gives my family & I a chance to go find a new spot to discover while eating as we would spend lunch at the Golden Horseshoe.
    I'm thinking a lot of people don't know, or forgot, that they have moved. Hopefully the word will get out and there will be lots of people who follow the Billies to their new location. Or just happen to be there as a performance is going on, like would be the case in the Golden Horseshoe for people going in for the food.

•   
    • Minion

They have some rows of benches in a semi-circle, and then some picnic tables and benches in the back. There is a lot of shade from the canopies they have overhead. Sun peeks in between the canopies but there are a lot of places to escape it.

I didn't think to take photos of the whole space, but in this photo you can see the rows in front, and how large the stage is. You can also see the shadows thrown by the canopies.

Name:  billyhill4.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  139.7 KB

• Iron-Clad Allie

Can't wait to see Big Billy and the Hillbilly thunder Ranch!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

So now Billy Hill & the Hillbillies have finished their first weekend at Big Thunder.

Who went to the show over the weekend? Did they have a big crowd?

• Minion

Somehow it looks appropriate. They need to put bales of hay for people to sit on. Billy Hill and the Hillbillies don't need no durn opry house. They done headed for the hills.

Jason (DisneyGeek.com) posted 10 photos and a short video:

Here are a couple of photos:

Name:  IMG_5011.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  97.8 KB
    Photo Credit - Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, June 22, 2012

Name:  IMG_4996.jpg
Size:  97.6 KB
    Photo credit - Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, June 22, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Belobog View Post
    Jason (DisneyGeek.com) posted 10 photos and a short video:

Here are a couple of photos:

Name:  IMG_5011.jpg
Size:  97.8 KB
    Photo Credit - Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, June 22, 2012

Name:  IMG_4996.jpg
Size:  97.6 KB
    Photo credit - Disneygeek's Disneyland Update Friday, June 22, 2012
    Thanks for the pics. I checked out disneygeek's other Billie's photos and my first reaction is "it just isn't the same".
    I hope they go back to the Horseshoe after summer.

oh, and while all the Billies are great, without Kirk Wall it seems something is missing. I wonder if the other lead Billy does the "prosteethis" thing. It cracks me up every time, the absolutely corny looks he gets on his face.

Billy Hill and the Golden Horseshoe were a perfect fit. I don't think that the show at Big Thunder Jamboree works nearly as well. The audience is smaller, more dispersed, more easily distracted, and farther away from the performers, which makes the comedy and audience interaction much more difficult. Kirk does his very best to keep the show intimate and interactive, coming down from the stage to engage directly with the audience, but the size and openness of the space is an insurmountable barrier. The noise from other sections of the park also interferes with the show (and, if you're a Billy Hill/Kirk Wall fan, you can tell it drives Kirk crazy). The boys give it their best, but the venue is wrong. We will be seeing many more Billy Hill shows at the Big Thunder Jamboree this summer -- we are huge fans and love the Billys anywhere -- but we hope that they return to the Golden Horseshoe soon.

• Indiana Scott

/\ Nicely said - I'm hoping they're back home at the Horseshoe in Sept. when we're there.

• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

New home --still awesome.....they make great use of the new setting----joking with the train as it passes----and using the Characters as fodder for jokes and amusement..

Here are some pictures I took while out there today

Brad's Disneyland blog: New Home for the Hillbillies: Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree

I'm not looking forward to seeing them outside, the shadows being cast on the back, the size of the stage that swallows them up. The ambiance is void and the setting looks oversized. Compare to the Horseshoe, ambiance max, intimate setting, good lighting. Not sure why we haven't heard more about the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthilk View Post
    I'm not looking forward to seeing them outside, the shadows being cast on the back, the size of the stage that swallows them up. The ambiance is void and the setting looks oversized. Compare to the Horseshoe, ambiance max, intimate setting, good lighting. Not sure why we haven't heard more about the move.
    Its been said that the show is moving back to the Horseshoe at summer's end. While I'd like to see them outdoors just to see the difference, I'll be glad when they're "back home" again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12