Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Billy and the Hillbillies at Big Thunder Ranch

According to the Disneyland calendar, Billy and the Hillbillies start playing their show at Big Thunder Ranch this week.

Being a big Billies fan, I'm curious as to what people think about their new location.

Have people found them in their new place? Do they sound good there? Is there lots of seating? Any food or drink offerings?

....and anything else you can tell me. I'm not sure about this change, so I'm anxious to hear what you think!
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• Indiana Scott

Re: Billy and the Hillbillies at Big Thunder Ranch

I don't like it at all. Enjoying lunch and watching the Billies has become a tradition for us and is usually the first thing we do when we get to the park (which is generally at lunch time).
    I understand they will be back at the GHS in Sept - I sure hope so!

I'm also a big fan of the show and curious about the new venue. If anybody has seen the new show please comment!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I understand they will be back at the GHS in Sept - I sure hope so!
    I hope you are right, too! I always enjoyed having an extra half hour inside the beautiful building and with air-conditioning! Not sure how it would be outside in the middle of summer heat.

Back to the Shoe, boys!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    I hope you are right, too! I always enjoyed having an extra half hour inside the beautiful building and with air-conditioning! Not sure how it would be outside in the middle of summer heat.

Back to the Shoe, boys!
    Oh yeah I forgot about the a/c. If i remember right, there's not much shade in the Big Thunder Ranch arena.

The comedy show they have fulltime in the Horseshoe is okay, but it doesn't do much for me. There needs to be music in there!

What is the difference between Big Thunder Mountain Ranch and Big Thunder Mountain Jamboree? The Disneyland website says Bill Hill will be a Big Thunder Mountain Jamboree.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MikkiandtheMouse View Post
    What is the difference between Big Thunder Mountain Ranch and Big Thunder Mountain Jamboree? The Disneyland website says Bill Hill will be a Big Thunder Mountain Jamboree.
    The Ranch is the restaurant in the area, while the Jamboree is the Festival Arena behind the restaurant which is currently being used for the Big Thunder Mountain Jamboree which is a character meet and greet area with some craft stalls.

• Johnny and Me!

I hope people make the trek to the back corner of the park to see the Billies. The Jamboree is often nearly deserted, with characters and CMs outnumbering the few Guests who wander in.

• Banned User

Yeah I was there on Saturday---DEAD!!!! I was surprised how quiet it was but DL in general was pretty quiet though. But still that place needs some excitement so if they bring that group there, it should get some interest at least! The Jamboree just felt so lifeless. I mean Mad T Party it aint!

Quote Originally Posted by dfan07 View Post
    I hope people make the trek to the back corner of the park to see the Billies. The Jamboree is often nearly deserted, with characters and CMs outnumbering the few Guests who wander in.
    Which might be a big reason they moved them back there for awhile.

I wonder if it will work to get more guests back in the place. Or maybe people will not be interested watching the show sans the Golden Horseshoe.

If you happened to watch the Billies yesterday or today, please let us know if the fans followed them to Big Thunder Mountain Jamboree.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

as long as they stay i'll be happy

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

It can work, but the DLR Entertainment staff is going to have to work with the Billies and Farley and other acts out there to make it work. And we might have to get involved and speak up as Guests when things aren't right too.

They have put up a lot of shade tarps off the lighting towers in the middle covering the stage and a lot of the seating area - It could work if they bring in a few of the big fan evaporative coolers and have them stationed upwind around the arena, and/or the high pressure water misting nozzles to cut the worst of the heat.

Including ones on the upwind side of the stage apron - but it has to be far enough back that the water evaporates fully, or the wetness will play heck with the instruments.

Otherwise it's going to get miserable out there for Cast and Guests alike when the temperatures approach the century mark in the afternoons. That's why the Festival of Fools didn't really get rolling till later in the day.

A few strategically stocked ODV carts could satisfy the dining needs, and you can run over to Village Haus for something more substantial. But the one cart that is really necessary isn't going to be there - Cups of ice and "Anaheim Water", or a refrigerated drinking fountain with enough pressure & flow (and chilling capacity) to fill water bottles.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I love the show and sad that it moved to the back of the park and that it's now outside. Not only is it a great show, but it was awesome to escape the heat in summer with the a/c inside the Golden Horse Shoe. Why did it get moved? Are they replacing it with something else inside the Golden Horse Shoe?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    I love the show and sad that it moved to the back of the park and that it's now outside. Not only is it a great show, but it was awesome to escape the heat in summer with the a/c inside the Golden Horse Shoe. Why did it get moved? Are they replacing it with something else inside the Golden Horse Shoe?
    I think the Laughing Stock comedy show will be there full time during the summer.

As to why, I don't know. Maybe they're trying to get more people into that part of the park.

•   
    • Minion

I saw it today. They had an audience--most of the benches and tables were filled--but it's probably far less than what they had in the Golden Horseshoe. They sounded great, and the audience responded well to the jokes, for the most part. One thing that I noticed was that the stage seemed to swallow them up a lot more than the Golden Horseshoe stage. It is a lot larger and with the open-air setup, the four of them have a lot more stage to cover.

Other than the performance, they had one cart selling pins (not trading; a standard merch cart), a cowboy showing a handful of kids how to twirl a lasso, and some cool characters walking around. I just missed Clarabelle Cow, but when I was there, they had Western-attired Goofy, Daisy and Donald posing for photos.

They also had coloring stations set up in the beautiful little cabin to the side of the pony/burro corral, and they brought out one of the burros for kids to see and pet.

It was definitely quieter than the rest of the park, and even substantially quieter than the other part of Big Thunder Ranch where people were dining. It's a nice reward for those who are willing to strike out and explore the park a little more. And in all honesty, it was a relief to get away from the crowds for a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast