Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How does RSR compare to Journey to the Centre of the Earth at TDS?

All the reviews I've been reading of Radiator Springs Racers have been comparing it to Test Track.

However I haven't been to Epcot for decades. I am quite familiar with the Journey to the Centre of the Earth ride at Tokyo Disney Sea though.

Its a richly detailed dark ride using the Test Track technology with a short thrill section at the end (mostly a drop). So seems like it would be a very similar experience to RSR.

Could anyone who has experienced both rides post a comparison?

Re: How does RSR compare to Journey to the Centre of the Earth at TDS?

I haven't been on Journey to the Centre of the Earth (or the TDL resort for that matter) but I have been on Radiator Springs Racers and judging by videos of Journey I would say that Journey probably has a better darkride section and special effects (though RSR does as well) but RSR wins for thrills. All Journey does is go on a circle in the dark with one drop right? RSR has 4 drops I think plus it has tighter turns (higher g-forces) and air time on the bunny hops. One things for sure though, they BOTH look like a lot of fun!

• Circle of Ancients

I haven't ridden either yet, but from all accounts, Journey is quite simply the best dark ride Disney has done yet. I don't think RSR is quite there. Different demographic, different ride experience.

Just because it uses the same ride system doesn't mean it's a similar ride at all.

•   

I'm watching Journey to the Center of the Earth on YouTube now. Wow that looks amazing. I'm guessing as far as the dark ride portion goes, it has Racers beat for environment, but Racers is pretty sophisticated with its animatronics too. And Racers has a lot of charm, plus a feel-good ending that can't be discounted.

Man now I want to go to Tokyo even more, haha

I have been to Disney TokyoSea. I have never shared others' enthusiasm for the park.

The setting is spectacular and the quality of the theming is unimpeachable, easily some of the industry's very best work. But the rides are fairly lackluster. Which is a shame, considering the potential from the themes they chose, much of them non-franchise based.

The biggest disappointment is the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride. A WOW queue, but the ride is very, very short; most underwhelming when you expect something massive because the ride takes up a whole mountain. The three show scenes are a waste (THREE!?!?! What the heck is in the rest of that mountain?). They should have been building a sense of Alien-like “entering the nest and the cocoons are about to hatch” dread before the big reveal. But nothing of note before and then the lava monster, which was one of the ugliest, most non-icon monsters I can ever remember. No wonder they sell no merchandise of that thing, its character design sucks. Any Disney animator they asked could have come up with something better.

Despite masterful themed designs (an understatement really, place is gorgeous), wide swaths of the park are empty. When I was there, the American waterfront area consisted of almost nothing to keep anyone occupied (Tower of Terror hadn’t opened yet, hopefully it rectified this). I went during the height of summer, but still remember finishing the park around two in the afternoon and taking the train back into Central Tokyo to explore more of the city.

In JTCOTE, the fast portion comes as a total surprise. (I've been on it.) You are traveling through caves at a fairly slow pace passing various scenes - then suddenly the vehicle takes off, racing through caves with twists and turns! It ends with a quick run uphill, over the top (where you catch a bit of air) and then down. It's exhilarating and unexpected.

In RSR, you know the fast race portion is coming because you can see it before you ever enter the ride. So the biggest surprise of RSR is the dark ride portion which is unexpected and elaborate.

---------- Post added 06-19-2012 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    I went during the height of summer, but still remember finishing the park around two in the afternoon and taking the train back into Central Tokyo to explore more of the city.
    We were there for nine hours and couldn't do and see everything that TDS has to offer. There's a lot there including several wonderful shows.

I've been on JTCOTE a couple times and tend to agree with an earlier comment - it is good but not great. The queue is absolutely fantastic, leading to very high expectations. Plus the mountain itself is incredible, especially the volcanoe effects at night. The dark ride portion is okay, with one really excellent scene featuring a large monster. The 'thrill' part of the ride makes sense - after the monster sort of lurches at the vehicle there is a 'let's get the heck out of here' sensation and the car speeds up very quickly, going up and down a hill in the dark, then coasts at medium speed back to the station. The 'thrill' part of the ride can't take mroe than 20 seconds, and the whoel ride is short.

Using fastpass the ride is fine, but I'd be upset if I was stuck in apparently typical 90 minute plus lines for this ride.

Haven't had the good fortune to experience RSR yet, though from videos the dark ride portions look much more elaboraote, and the thrill part appears to be much longer.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I think its a giant compliment that people are even comparing something made in the states to something in DisneySea in the first place.

Seems like a refreshing return to quality.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Disneyland Man

Woe be to ANY comparisons of these two parks. No real contest, on any level.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Resident of the Caldera

People are comparing Radiator Springs Racers to Test Track because both rides use race cars and have an exterior "racing" portion of the ride. Similarity ends there. The interior portion of Test Track is just a time-killer until you bust out of the building for the speed up to 65 mph on the banked curve.

Radiator Springs Racers has an extensive interior show with 23 AA figures of cars from the film and is completely immersive: night time in Radiator Springs. Test Track is never anything more than being in a warehouse. Radiator Springs Racers does not go faster than 40 mph and appears to have a longer exterior track than Test Track--but that's just my impression from having ridden Test Track many times and watching the videos of Radiator Springs Racers.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is something entirely different: the queue takes you through an excavated area where you can see several different offices used by Captain Nemo for scientific experiments. You then take "terravators" down to the center of the earth and board a vehicle that is designed for travel in the dangerous interior of the earth, with a plow on the front similar to a cow-catcher on the front of a railroad engine. You are taken on a journey through the sites in the center of the earth, including crystal caves, a mushroom forest inhabited by strange creatures, and then you go off down the wrong tunnel where you see egg sacks for some mysterious and nasty sounding creature hanging all around. You come to a really weird underground ocean at one point. And then you meet the Lava Monster, the biggest functioning AA that Disney has ever done (he works, unlike the Yeti at Expedition Everest), and he gets really pissed. Then your vehicle suddenly bolts forward at high speed and accelerates as you go up a steep incline. You pop out of the cave and then down a steep decline--the speed, combined with going up and then going down, gets a good scream out of everyone. When you stand inside the caldera (the open portion of the volcano that is "Mysterious Island") you can hear the cars whizzing around you inside the volcano, and you realize that you are essentially standing in the middle of what would be the Test Track building.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is an amazing ride: it invariably has the longest line at Tokyo DisneySEA and is considered to be at the top of the list of WDI's premier attractions. Amazingly, it looks and sounds as if Radiator Springs Racers is as good or almost as good. That's a great thing! The Walt Disney Company NEVER spends that kind of money on rides in the United States any more. Let's hope its popularity leads to more big rides of that quality here.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Journey to the Center of the Earth is an amazing ride: it invariably has the longest line at Tokyo DisneySEA and is considered to be at the top of the list of WDI's premier attractions. Amazingly, it looks and sounds as if Radiator Springs Racers is as good or almost as good. That's a great thing! The Walt Disney Company NEVER spends that kind of money on rides in the United States any more. Let's hope its popularity leads to more big rides of that quality here.
    Having been on both , I would have to agree with Fukai. These are two seperate immersive attractions , but I think the dark ride portion of Journey to the center of the earth is so immersive it gets the edge over radiator springs racers.
    I do also agree with Fukai that if this is the best America has to offer and can do , we are in good shape for the future as for years only the freely spending deep pocketed OLC would spend this kind of money on quality attractions. Hopefullly this will mean Avatarland will be great and future attractions at both domestic resorts will be as well done as RSR.. I am going to write up a full review of radiator springs racers later but overall I still think Journey is slightly better.

• Banned User

The WDC is very deep pocketed, too. The difference has been willingness; too often, stateside Disney has opted for CHEAP rather than GREAT. RSR and Cars Land are an exception; they appear to have spent whatever was necessary to create something amazing.

After the massive investment in DCA, will they revert to their tight wad ways? Let's hope the success of Cars Land convinces them that that was simply bad business -- a mistake they don't want to repeat.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    The WDC is very deep pocketed, too. The difference has been willingness; too often, stateside Disney has opted for CHEAP rather than GREAT. RSR and Cars Land are an exception; they appear to have spent whatever was necessary to create something amazing.

After the massive investment in DCA, will they revert to their tight wad ways? Let's hope the success of Cars Land convinces them that that was simply bad business -- a mistake they don't want to repeat.
    Yes WDC is very deep pocketed but for a long time prior to this major expansion they have been unwilling to invest or go that extra mile to make it a disney difference. I agree with you lets hope this will be the start of many new great attractions stateside.

• Please pull the yellowtab

RSR has been open for a week and on avg. stand-by is a 2-hour wait. Out of curiosity: what is the avg. stand-by wait time (during peak season & off season) for JTCOTE?

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Journey to the Center of the Earth has no equal, not by a long shot. The queue and theme alone beats RSR in every conceivable manner, not even including the actual ride itself. RSR is the best thing we have received in quite some time but nothing will ever top TDS and their star attraction. If RSR cannot even beat Indy hands down with all the grand opening hysteria, there is no competition.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-23-2012 at 02:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast