California Adventure... so when does it REALLY open?

I went to DCA last Saturday at 745am to be at DCA when it opened at 8am, but to my surprise the park was already open.

My questions are
    Was the full park open with operational rides?
    Was it none of the attractions open except for the RSR Fastpass line?
    What time does the park really open?

I am planning to go again next week and would like to be prepared this time.

Thanks in advance

www.mouseexpedtion.net
    Your Ultimate Tour Guide to the Disneyland Resort

Re: California Adventure... so when does it REALLY open?

We were there on Sunday, and were fully expecting to wait at "rope drop", but everyone was let in by the time we walked through the gates (7:30am). Most folks were either in BVS, the RSR FP queue, or heading towards Cars Land. By the time we got our FPs, we had ventured out and the park was officially open. I'm sure attractions stagger at opening, and that the E-tickets (TLM, TSMM, TOT, etc).

It will be interesting if DCA opens earlier/closes later on a day by day basis, or if it's just a weekend thing until the AP blockouts happen at the end of the month, or what. I'm going tomorrow and Thursday for Early Entry, so hopefully things will be much calmer in the morning. I'll post back here if my kids and I actually pay attention to what else is open, other than Cars Land.

Rule #1: always prepare for the unexpected. Rule #2: defer to rule #1...

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

guess when i go on Thursday....i'll tell you guys if it opens or not early on weekday I should be there by 7:45 am

If crowds start to build at the gates they go ahead and open the park. I think that since both parks ate a hediled to open at 8. They are trying to make sure the esplanade does not get congested with guest trying to enter both parks at the same time.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

interesting that theres no rope drop

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

I was there yesterday (Tuesday) morning and they did not let any of us get any further than just past the end of BVS until 8 AM on the dot. And then they slowly walked the crowd towards Cars Land, stopping the line several times to let Mater make some sort of maneuvers in front of us. There were already other people inside Cars Land and my wait for LFT was about an hour.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

bigcatrik - you weren't let in early because yesterday (tuesday) was the first day for california adventure's annual passholder early entry days, which is from 7-8 am.

on saturday, i arrived at 7:25am luckily, and found we were let in at 7:30am. All that was open from 7:30 - 8am was Carsland.

I'm not positive, but from what I remember hotel guests and APs' early entry hours switch off between disneyland and california adventure. Which means no more getting in at 7:30am since someone will always have an early entry. Like what happened for bigcatrik, you will probably be let in BVS with a rope drop at 8am.

flower gleam & glow...

Is Fastpass for Racers open at 8 no matter what or at 730 if they open the park early?

www.mouseexpedtion.net

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    Is Fastpass for Racers open at 8 no matter what or at 730 if they open the park early?
    It's available as soon as someone's in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    It's available as soon as someone's in the park.
    now we know why fastpass for Racers runs out so fast

www.mouseexpedtion.net

We went to DCA for the AP Early Entry yesterday (Thursday, June 21) and were let a few minutes past 7am. I asked a few different CMs (those checking us in, one at the ticket booths because I had to buy an extra one-day ticket for a family member, and those at the entry gates) exactly who got in when and was given varying responses, but the gist was: APs get in at 7am when it's their day for Early Entry. Hotel guests get in next at 7:30. And all other guests at 8am (which according to friends was closer to 7:45am when they were allowed to either wait at the rope drop or roam around BVS).

When asked what was open, I was told "everything West of Buena Vista". However, we pretty much had invested 90 minutes on Cars Land and the RSR FP distribution queue because we even ventured elsewhere. The RSR FP distribution queue began forming right at the 7am opening, but the FPs machines weren't actually turned on until the 8am rope drop. So by the offical 8am opening time, the distribution queue snaked all the way around Carthay Circle, switching back around the Disney Theater, snaking around toward the Hyperion and HTH/ToT. One CM I spoke with said this was done to keep things fair for guests, which kind of does make sense if you're willing to get there early. While the queue is up for grabs for anyone who has already entered the park (and frankly, if you're let in early for rope drop you can just veer over to the end of the queue), the FPs themselves don't start being printed until everyone is officially allowed in (whether that's 7, 7:30, or 7:50).

• ThinkingOfMermaidLagoons

Quote Originally Posted by cris77 View Post
    We went to DCA for the AP Early Entry yesterday (Thursday, June 21) and were let a few minutes past 7am. I asked a few different CMs (those checking us in, one at the ticket booths because I had to buy an extra one-day ticket for a family member, and those at the entry gates) exactly who got in when and was given varying responses, but the gist was: APs get in at 7am when it's their day for Early Entry. Hotel guests get in next at 7:30. And all other guests at 8am (which according to friends was closer to 7:45am when they were allowed to either wait at the rope drop or roam around BVS).

When asked what was open, I was told "everything West of Buena Vista". However, we pretty much had invested 90 minutes on Cars Land and the RSR FP distribution queue because we even ventured elsewhere. The RSR FP distribution queue began forming right at the 7am opening, but the FPs machines weren't actually turned on until the 8am rope drop. So by the offical 8am opening time, the distribution queue snaked all the way around Carthay Circle, switching back around the Disney Theater, snaking around toward the Hyperion and HTH/ToT. One CM I spoke with said this was done to keep things fair for guests, which kind of does make sense if you're willing to get there early. While the queue is up for grabs for anyone who has already entered the park (and frankly, if you're let in early for rope drop you can just veer over to the end of the queue), the FPs themselves don't start being printed until everyone is officially allowed in (whether that's 7, 7:30, or 7:50).
    I was there yesterday for this too and this sums up what I saw. When we entered around 7pm and walked by the FP queue the CM's where trying to shoo us away saying "Go enjoy the park since the FP line doesn't open up until 8." Well I didn't just fall off the Disney turnip truck. I walked my kids over to RSR and got them secured in line (the ride was down of course) and then by 7:30 I was in the FP line myself. I was in a decent spot but not more than 10 minutes later the line was as long as cris77 just said. My FP return time was 9:50 to 10:50.

Oh and my kids finally got on the ride at 8:30 having been in line that entire time. The ride was down a couple times in that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by cris77 View Post
    I just want to correct one part of your post. Hotel guests get in at 7 AM, just like AP Holders. However, Hotel guests get into California Adventure at 7 AM on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, while AP Holders get into California Adventure at 7 AM on either Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday when it's the day that they signed up for. My guess is that on the days that only AP Holders have entry at 7 AM, the Grand Californian private entrance for Hotel Guests might open at 7:30 AM, which I think might have been what you were referring to.