Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 65
  1. #31

    • The Pumpkin King
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    1,767

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So Vegas would be Grad School?
    Lol, I guess!

  2. #32

    • Workin to live,lovin life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    713

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    I would never refer to Vegas as Disney for adults. That's assuming that all adults have to love whatever's at Vegas. Strippers, Clubs, Douchebags, Alcohol... Douchebags that can't handle their alcohol... no thanks.

    Yes, I like Cirque shows, but I can skip all of those and wait for a travelling show. Sure, they're not the same quality as the ones in Vegas... but I digress.

    Vegas is called Sin City for a reason. And Disneyland is called "The Happiest Place on Earth" for a reason as well. Not all adults enjoy the debauchery in Vegas. I'd rather go hiking with friends or take a road trip up the Coast of California than go to Vegas.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    74

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    If Vegas is the Disneyland for adults, then we have a problem on our hands. I've been to both and Vegas appeals to some people and Disneyland appeals to others, but they are totally different. Disneyland is magical...while Vegas isn't. I think that Dave and Busters is the kid Vegas, if you want a good comparison.

    But, they only way to get rid of a saying isn't to fight it- it's to not say it. We can just ignore it for now because we all know it isn't true.

  4. #34

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,686

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Man, it's really disappointing reading so much hate on Vegas. It's as if you guys never been RECENTLY. Yes, there's a lot of annoying people but is that so different from Disneyland?

    Anyway on the topic of Disney and Vegas, Imagineering Legend Bob Gurr designed the sinking Treasure Island ship that's on the strip. (i almost said Treasure Planet)

    Food for thought.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  5. #35

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    JSC
    Posts
    1,879

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    *chuckle* Y'all are silly. It's just a euphemism. It's not meant to be literal.

    I don't have a problem with it. I think it's a fair euphemistic description of Vegas - Disneyland for Adults. Yeah, adults who have healthy libidos and aren't prudes. If you're someone who's fearful of being an adult, and you're still mentally and emotionally a child because of that (and one can be a mature adult while still possessing a childlike spirit; this isn't about that, it's about having a form of psychosociological neoteny *pause while everyone goes and Googles that*), well, yeah, then Vegas has nothing for you. No, it's not for families and never should have been marketed as some sort of family destination - that's stupid. Yes, Vegas isn't a place for kids, I agree. Nor should it be. But if you're a mature adult, and can deal with drinking, gambling, nudity, and sex - the pillars of recreational debauchery - then yeah, Vegas is a Disneyland for adults. No, not something that's the same as Disneyland; no, not another Disneyland further east; no, not a hotter Disneyland; a Disneyland for ADULTS. You know, adults, grown-ups, big folks, people who drink, swear, gamble their money, and have sex and call it fun. If you don't do these things, and if these things make you uncomfortable and want to curl up into a fetal position, then Vegas is not the place for you.

    @Coheteboy - the hate for Vegas in this thread is rooted in basic good old American Puritanical prudery, and/or perhaps some chronological challenges.

    And Casino is a GREAT film.

  6. #36

    • Jeanne, like the lamp!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tracy, Ca
    Posts
    267

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    As far as I am concerned, Disneyland is the Disneyland for adults!
    Though people do get frustrated that I go to DLR all the time and tell me to go to Vegas instead.


    and they lived happily ever after

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    125

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Las Vegas is a lot of fun and really do not mind the quote!

  8. #38

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Naboo
    Posts
    74

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    I don't think there's anything wrong with Vegas but they are too different to be compared.

    Like Captain Green said, Disneyland is also for people of all ages! Just because it's more kid friendly than Vegas is doesn't mean it is less fun. Like I said before, Vegas offers somethings and Disneyland offers others. I just think the saying came out of the fact that they are places where you can have fun and there are lots of lights. I think that is where the similarities stop.... I think. But I don't think that you should label Disneyland a place only for kids, because that is not so.

  9. #39

    • Insomniac
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The Wonderful World of Utah?
    Posts
    1,968

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Man, it's really disappointing reading so much hate on Vegas. It's as if you guys never been RECENTLY. Yes, there's a lot of annoying people but is that so different from Disneyland?

    Anyway on the topic of Disney and Vegas, Imagineering Legend Bob Gurr designed the sinking Treasure Island ship that's on the strip. (i almost said Treasure Planet)

    Food for thought.
    It's not so much the architecture, the shows, the rollercoasters, or the design of Vegas I hate, it's the atmosphere, the drinking, the nudity (I do not consider putting a pink dot over certain areas a way to change it from porn to just a picture of a woman), the billboards, the ads on the taxis, the creepers that wonder the streets, the drunk people, the smoking, the heat, the lack of enforcement if obscenity laws, and pretty much everything out else about it haha. I LOVE the architecture of the Stratosphere, New York New York, Belagio, Caeser's Palace, and MGM. I enjoy seeing concerts, comedians, ect in Vegas. I love New York New York and have always wanted to ride the one on the stratosphere. The layout of Vegas works well. I just can't stand the stuff that is supposed to draw people to Vegas in the first place.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

  10. #40

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,686

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    It's not so much the architecture, the shows, the rollercoasters, or the design of Vegas I hate, it's the atmosphere, the drinking, the nudity (I do not consider putting a pink dot over certain areas a way to change it from porn to just a picture of a woman), the billboards, the ads on the taxis, the creepers that wonder the streets, the drunk people, the smoking, the heat, the lack of enforcement if obscenity laws, and pretty much everything out else about it haha. I LOVE the architecture of the Stratosphere, New York New York, Belagio, Caeser's Palace, and MGM. I enjoy seeing concerts, comedians, ect in Vegas. I love New York New York and have always wanted to ride the one on the stratosphere. The layout of Vegas works well. I just can't stand the stuff that is supposed to draw people to Vegas in the first place.


    People love Vegas for different reasons. It doesn't mean one should fault Vegas for what it originally was or still can be. You don't HAVE to drink if you go to Vegas. You don't HAVE to see anything nude. You don't HAVE to deal with drunk people. I can have a perfectly amazing time at ONE hotel, lounging by the pool, grabbing something great to eat, seeing a great show.

    I enjoy it like I enjoy Disneyland. And each trip is different and special in its own way.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  11. #41

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    nowhere in particular...
    Posts
    687

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

    Without all the facts, it is hard to make an accurate judgment. This family could have just gotten off the road after leaving late to beat the traffic. They may have expected their kids to remain asleep after checking in. Instead, the kids woke up and were hungry. It is easier to get kids to sleep if they have a full stomach, so maybe they were bringing them down to eat something before bed.
    I don't have all the facts? Or you don't have all the facts?
    It was a casino. A locals' casino. No rooms, just machines and restaurants and a bar/lounge. When it comes to the strip properties, yes, I suppose there is alot for families to do in some locations on LV Blvd. I do not go down there much. And I am guessing this is the Vegas you were thining of? It is strange how one perceives this town based on how often you visit vs. if you live here.

    I take my SO's mother once a week like clockwork to the above mentioned locals' casino, and I see parents dragging their kids thru. I dunno where they came from or where they are going... And maybe I don't know all the facts... maybe that restaurant serves a great dinner at those hours that familys just love? I don't get it either way.

    ---------- Post added 06-21-2012 at 03:31 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    We did that. Well, not the middle of the night, but in the afternoon. We went to Vegas. Spent most of the days away from the Strip. But we wanted to see some of the free fountain shows and the Venetian. To park anywhere near the Strip and walk in, you have to walk through the Casinos. Our hotel had a free shuttle to the strip (Harrah's). But it drops you off in back of the Casino. The only way we knew to get to the Venetian is through the casino. We missed the volcano at the Mirage because we were there in the afternoon and not at night... BTW, my 14 year old loved the Venetian.

    For you with young kids, my younger boys loved Sky Zone, an indoor trampoline park about 7 miles from the strip.
    The Zone is just a couple miles from my house!

    As for my comment, it was not in regards to tourists with families seeing the sights... the casino i was speaking of had no sights in or near it. see my post above.

  12. #42

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,835

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by magicaldisney77 View Post
    that vegas is the disneyland for adults.. really cant stand it, just saying.
    vegas doesn't even have the class that disneyland has
    The open, public city may not have the class you desire... but walk into any # of resorts and you'll blow DL out of the water in detail, quality, service, and class.

    The expression is about comparing what Disneyland does for the person... not about a direct comparison of the products.

    Vegas isn't for everyone... neither is DL.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  13. #43

    • Oh, I just LOVE your hat!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Parade Route!
    Posts
    297

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Don't know about the quote, but I agree with CoheteBoy.. There's nothing wrong with Vegas if you look at it that way.. I don't know whether its a place for kids per se, only cause the stuff for them to do is quite limited; although that goes for teens as well. However, teens I think can take it all in on another level than maybe kids would. I'm a teen, and yes, there's those ads on the trucks, the people handing out flyers etc., but honestly, I just don't pay attention to it. Instead, I focus my attention to the grand scale of the resorts and such. I don't compare Vegas with Disneyland, but when I'm there it does feel like a theme park. I'm sort of "grateful" that I can't gamble which bars that whole side of Vegas from me, so I only see the place for the elaborate theming, classy restaurants (mostly) and shows and attractions. If gambling isn't your cup of tea, then do something else. If the shopping and restaurants is too expensive for you, don't do those. Yes, its designed to make you spend your money away, but like my family, its a relatively cheap one day trip and we still enjoy it. Again, it's all how you look at it...
    Because Bert Said So!

  14. #44

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    564

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post




    This is strictly prohibited.
    The company the "Ad Flickers" are employed by will received stiff fines...
    The "Ad Flickers" themselves can receive jail time...

    If your child ends up with one of these ads, it is b/c he/she picked one off the ground while a parent was not looking, not b/c it was handed to them. And why would they hand one to a minor? It would just be a waste since the kid is not going to get into the establishment.
    I myself am a minor, not being over the age of eighteen, but trust me, on my first visit to Vegas, those people did not care what your age was. They would hold the cards directly in front of your face. Me, however, being the son of a teacher has caused me to develop one of those evil eyes, so all I had to do was give them one of those suckers and they backed off right away.

    ---------- Post added 06-21-2012 at 10:27 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Man, it's really disappointing reading so much hate on Vegas. It's as if you guys never been RECENTLY. Yes, there's a lot of annoying people but is that so different from Disneyland?

    Anyway on the topic of Disney and Vegas, Imagineering Legend Bob Gurr designed the sinking Treasure Island ship that's on the strip. (i almost said Treasure Planet)

    Food for thought.
    I agree, when I was in vegas I actually found a lot to do, I mean sure, nothing could possibly be as good as Disneyland, but Vegas is a pretty entertaining place to be.

  15. #45

    • Workin to live,lovin life
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    713

    Re: who else hates this saying.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Man, it's really disappointing reading so much hate on Vegas. It's as if you guys never been RECENTLY. Yes, there's a lot of annoying people but is that so different from Disneyland?

    Anyway on the topic of Disney and Vegas, Imagineering Legend Bob Gurr designed the sinking Treasure Island ship that's on the strip. (i almost said Treasure Planet)

    Food for thought.
    Actually, I was just there a few months ago for a bachelor party. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for the event. And I'd have to agree with Bronco21. Strip Clubs, bars, hotels and shows are what draw people to Vegas.

    Hotels bore me as I like to be out an about. I don't care about lounging at a pool either even though I like the Mandalay Bay one. Great food and drinking can be found elsewhere in hole in the wall restaurants and bars around most cities or towns around the world. And while most shows are unique to Vegas, it's just not worth the time and money for me to go there. And I won't even talk about strip clubs.

    Yes,Vegas isn't for everyone (just like Disney isn't for everyone). Everything I can do there, I can do elsewhere with less "wanna-be Jersey Shore/ Hang Over people." Yes they exist everywhere, but that's a concentration of those types of people I don't care for.

    Disney has bad apples too, but would you say that they have the same clientele as say Six Flags? Or even Universal? I'd say it's a different demographic, just like how Vegas and Disney have completely different demographics.

    Saying that Vegas is Disneyland for adults is an immature and ignorant way to look at it. That's a blanket statement that all adults shouldn't go to Disneyland and/or that Vegas is for every adult.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Else Notice This? ( Besides YOYO, who probably has.. LOL )
    By WDWGirl in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-03-2006, 11:07 AM
  2. Faces.com, who has used this and do you get the free photos
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 03:25 PM
  3. Does anyone else have this same problem?
    By Barbaraann in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 12:16 PM
  4. "To All Who Come to this Happy Place: Welcome"
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2005, 12:25 PM
  5. ok who else here likes the hardcore/metalcore music
    By Disneyfanatic in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-07-2005, 09:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •