Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Disney to Scale Back Domestic Expansion

If it were me and I had just spent over a billion to re-make DCA, I think I would sit back and keep the walls out of the park for a few years and reap the rewards of being 5 years under the knife.

• Photographer-In-Training

Umm could someone explain to me what Avatarland is?
    -Carter P.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PressPersily View Post
    Umm could someone explain to me what Avatarland is?
    An idea for Disney's Animal Kingdom. A land based on the James Cameron blockbuster, Avatar. You know, blue people, different world, forbidden love.

I'm okay with scaling back expansion. I wouldn't expect $1 billion dollar expansions every several years for a single park.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If they don't fight back against Potter land they will be making the same mistakes TWICE....They need to open at least ONE new ride at Dsneyland that year (Avangers, something new..Tron?)

Then also switch Aladdin at DCA with a new show...that should be enough to hold back Potter from just owning the summer

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    If they don't fight back against Potter land they will be making the same mistakes TWICE....They need to open at least ONE new ride at Dsneyland that year (Avangers, something new..Tron?)

Then also switch Aladdin at DCA with a new show...that should be enough to hold back Potter from just owning the summer
    Twice? What happen the first time ?

Harry Potter is set to open around the same time as the 60th, so I am expecting something just as big.

• Disneyland History Lover

I would expect the DLR to remain somewhat stagnant for a couple years at least. DCA just finished its extreme makeover. The parks are doing well. But that's not going to stop them from projects altogether. DL is getting Fantasy Faire, which is currently in the works. And I'm sure smaller projects throughout both parks will continue. It would seem at least that BTMRR is getting a refurb. And as other have pointed out, I don't think the article means nothing will happen. As long as money is allotted, that means something will happen somewhere. Disney just won't be going out of their way to add aggressive expansions or new properties.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Twice? What happen the first time ?

Harry Potter is set to open around the same time as the 60th, so I am expecting something just as big.
    Universal Florida went WAY up in amount of people coming in,,,,,while WDW stayed the same...so even though more people were coming to Florida to see a new land many skipped on WDW just to go to Potterland.

I just would not let Universal do it again...If Potterland is coming here fight back and since there is NO way they'll make a new land/subland by then make an E ticket...I mean its still 4 years away plenty enough years from Carsland to have a new Big Draw

• Minion

I wouldn't mind them not spending on NEW construction, if it meant they were going to focus some money and energy on repairing, refurbishing, and maintaining older attractions, areas, and infrastructure. Stopping spending just to increase today's profit margin? That's real short-term thinking, there.

• Suspended

If Disney is being smart, they will wait to see what kind of audience Carsland and the expanded DCA bring in before they spend any more money in Anaheim. The casual observations so far (ease of booking a hotel, the weekend off/weekday on attendance patterns, Disneyland being empty) all seem to indicate that, so far, it has been a local audience that has come out for Carsland. If that's true, and it continues to be true, that will have an impact on the kind of spending and the kind of projects that Disney will want to spend money on.

Obviously, they spent that insane amount of money expanding DCA, to lure in tourists who also spend insane amounts of money. If it can't do that, they might just give up on Anaheim altogether.

• Circle of Ancients

I'd be fine with them just fixing what they have now, especially at the FL property.

• Banned User

Well, they need to expand their marketing plan outside of just the west coast and Rocky mountain states. I live in Texas and we are getting NOTHING!!! I have a 3 year old son who had a birthday party last weekend and we were talking vacations with parents. Many of them with little boys were absolutely obsessed with Cars and 2 in particular were taking Disney vacations. one couple were going this summer and one was going next summer. Both to WDW. I was telling them about Carsland opening at the DLR and of course they new absolutely nothing about it. It was obvious they would have given serious consideration if not definitely made the decision to go to Anehim.
    i dont why you would take on a 1.2 billion dollar investment and have it go to waist like this. There are people all over the country who would go all the way out west for this. People make long trips for USF, and here in Texas, its very little difference to go to Disneyland rather than WDW. They should be blasting the airwaves here with commercials. San Antonio, Austin, Dalls, El Paso, Amarillo, Lubbock. It realy is DLR only other super populated area that they could get a huge, steady stream of visitors from. There is a TON of middle class, upper middle class and upper class money here. probably more than any other place I've ever lived and texas people take major vacations all the time because we dont have the local getaways many other locations have.
    I had heard they were going to market this expansion heavily in Texas. Im seeing nothing.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I expect the wider marketing to come soon.. now that the opening is past us.

They'll slow grind that for a year or two.

The quote was about 'expansion' - I don't see that meaning they aren't going to spend on maintaining the parks.

Someone said they think DL will be 'stagnant' - not stagnant, but 'Stable'. Between the constantly improving seasonal offerings, things like WoC shifts, ongoing refurbs, etc.. there will be plenty of activity of change/update in the parks.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I expect the wider marketing to come soon.. now that the opening is past us.
    But in a sense it is already too late. It's too late in the season for folks to start planning a summer vacation trip to Disneyland, and next summer the marketing message is going to be New Fantasyland (and with the power of the traditional Disney characters, I suspect that will be a huge marketing blitz).

When DCA originally opened, they got an hour (2 hour?) long prime time special on ABC hosted by Ryan Stiles. With Carsland opening they got a blurb on ABC family during a showing of the actual movie? That's an odd choice to be sure. The marketing just seems too low key for what they were attempting to achieve. It seems that they ended up using the same billboards that they used for Summer Nighttastic, except now a lot more of them are in Spanish.

I'm sure that there is a reason for this and I'm sure in a way it makes sense to some one, even if the reasons are not apparent. Perhaps they were worried that a crush of Annual Passholders this first year would put off tourists and they wanted to hold back until the higher AP prices thinned out the AP numbers?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    But in a sense it is already too late
    Too late for this summer - but that's fine... Disney didn't build the park for one summer, it built it for decades.

The locals only rush is more than enough to keep the park humming. What's the point of enticing remote visitors if you have no where to put them or they get a miserable experience because the attractions are sustaining 1-4hr waits?

No point on trying to stuff what is already stuffed. Let the diehards who will tolerate all that get their fix.. who you really don't need to advertise for anyways.. and then when they start dropping off you start advertising to bring in the remotes and ramp up the entire property.

This is a marathon - not a sprint.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• 5 Star

I might get flak for this, but I've always felt like Florida has had an unfair advantage for too long, and I believe that more needs to be done in Anaheim. FL has multiple theme parks, water parks, and the opening of the thematic Art of Animation Hotel.

I understand that Carsland was a huge undertaking-both financially and for construction- but Florida is receiving Avatarland and fantasyland is being entirely refurbed. I don't think FL should be neglected, but we only have two parks in Anaheim, and DCA still needs a lot of work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast